It's Friday - Has your bank failed today?

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218165522][quote author="tmare" date=1218160149]Federal regulators have ordered Vineyard National Bank of Corona to stop accepting so-called hot-money deposits that are considered too risky for the money-losing bank.</blockquote>

Does that mean they won't let me open up a $97.5K CD at 4.5%?</blockquote>

I believe it does.

[quote author="tmare" date=1218165728][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218165522][quote author="tmare" date=1218160149]Federal regulators have ordered Vineyard National Bank of Corona to stop accepting so-called hot-money deposits that are considered too risky for the money-losing bank.</blockquote>

I believe it does.</blockquote>

Guess I'm going to have to visit the branch and find out for sure. The person that picked up the customer service line said that 4.5% 6-month CD is still a valid offering.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218166264][quote author="tmare" date=1218165728][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218165522][quote author="tmare" date=1218160149]Federal regulators have ordered Vineyard National Bank of Corona to stop accepting so-called hot-money deposits that are considered too risky for the money-losing bank.</blockquote>

Guess I'm going to have to visit the branch and find out for sure. The person that picked up the customer service line said that 4.5% 6-month CD is still a valid offering.</blockquote>

Let us know, I'm curious. Check out the story in the LA Finance Blog today though.

I think the article said they are just not allowing anymore brokered accounts arranged through financial intermediaries.

It's pretty bad when (government) regulators have to tell you to find "experienced and competent individuals" to fill the CEO position.

[quote author="tmare" date=1218166681][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218166264][quote author="tmare" date=1218165728][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218165522][quote author="tmare" date=1218160149]Federal regulators have ordered Vineyard National Bank of Corona to stop accepting so-called hot-money deposits that are considered too risky for the money-losing bank.</blockquote>

Guess I'm going to have to visit the branch and find out for sure. The person that picked up the customer service line said that 4.5% 6-month CD is still a valid offering.</blockquote>

Let us know, I'm curious. Check out the story in the LA Finance Blog today though.</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/business/investing/la-fi-bank7-2008aug07,1,3065387.story">Story is here</a>. Looks like they would take and actually are striving to obtain consumer/retail deposits. I guess "hot money" are deposits arranged through financial intermediaries...

[quote author="ABC123" date=1218170862]I think the article said they are just not allowing anymore brokered accounts arranged through financial intermediaries.

It's pretty bad when (government) regulators have to tell you to find "experienced and competent individuals" to fill the CEO position.</blockquote>

I'm thinking the extra $200 over the next six months vs. Countrywide probably isn't worth the hassle of moving the funds when they go under... Countrywide Bank is offering 4.1% on 7 months and IndyMac Federal amazingly is offering 4.15% on 9 months. I can't find much better out there.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218171197][quote author="ABC123" date=1218170862]I think the article said they are just not allowing anymore brokered accounts arranged through financial intermediaries.

It's pretty bad when (government) regulators have to tell you to find "experienced and competent individuals" to fill the CEO position.</blockquote>

I'm thinking the extra $200 over the next six months vs. Countrywide probably isn't worth the hassle of moving the funds when they go under... Countrywide Bank is offering 4.1% on 7 months and IndyMac Federal amazingly is offering 4.15% on 9 months. I can't find much better out there.</blockquote>

Downey Savings is now offering 4.15% on 6 months and Wamu 4.25% on 8 months. Can't find anyone else over 4% on a short-term CD...

Downey and Wamu are both supposedly in trouble.

Man, you must be sweating ipop....."where do I put it so it's safe?"....

(mattress) ;)

[quote author="Trooper" date=1218180101]Downey and Wamu are both supposedly in trouble.

Man, you must be sweating ipop....."where do I put it so it's safe?"....

(mattress) ;)</blockquote>

I think the trick is Troop find the bank that is hurting but will survive. I want ones that will sit on the bitter edge for the next year, offering up fat rates to depositors, but not going out of business...

Actually I don't much care about them going under except for the hassle of moving the money if they do. I am going to use Countrywide, OCTFCU, Downey, and Wamu to hold my cash, all with just enough that when the CDs mature they won't quite hit the $100K FDIC insurance limit. OCTFCU CDs opened last week and funded the Countrywide 7-month 4.1% CD today. Gonna hit Downey tomorrow and open up a 6-monther. Wamu is trying to attract deposits with a 3.75% savings account so I'm going to hold some cash there for a month and see if CD rates tick up more.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218171054][quote author="tmare" date=1218166681][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218166264][quote author="tmare" date=1218165728][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218165522][quote author="tmare" date=1218160149]Federal regulators have ordered Vineyard National Bank of Corona to stop accepting so-called hot-money deposits that are considered too risky for the money-losing bank.</blockquote>

Let us know, I'm curious. Check out the story in the LA Finance Blog today though.</blockquote>

<a href="http://www.latimes.com/business/investing/la-fi-bank7-2008aug07,1,3065387.story">Story is here</a>. Looks like they would take and actually are striving to obtain consumer/retail deposits. I guess "hot money" are deposits arranged through financial intermediaries...</blockquote>

Hot money is a brokered deposit or as Ipo said, <em>" arranged through financial intermediaries"</em>, and usually goes wherever the highest interest rates are being paid.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218171197][quote author="ABC123" date=1218170862]I think the article said they are just not allowing anymore brokered accounts arranged through financial intermediaries.

I'm thinking the extra $200 over the next six months vs. Countrywide probably isn't worth the hassle of moving the funds when they go under... Countrywide Bank is offering 4.1% on 7 months and IndyMac Federal amazingly is offering 4.15% on 9 months. I can't find much better out there.</blockquote>

IndyMac is probably one of the safest places you can keep your money right now. I am not being sarcastic. If you open a CD with IndyMac, you are actually opening a CD with the FDIC and whomever the FDIC later decides to transfer your deposit to.

[quote author="awgee" date=1218189632][quote author="ipoplaya" date=1218171197][quote author="ABC123" date=1218170862]I think the article said they are just not allowing anymore brokered accounts arranged through financial intermediaries.

IndyMac is probably one of the safest places you can keep your money right now. I am not being sarcastic. If you open a CD with IndyMac, you are actually opening a CD with the FDIC and whomever the FDIC later decides to transfer your deposit to.</blockquote>

I think you are correct awgee. If they had 4.15% for six months, I'd be all over it... I have my nine-monther already. Need 6-7 month ones to complete my ladder.

Wachovia is offering 4.16% / 4.25% APY for a 12-month CD.

I was able to get my bank to match their price, so I didn't have to move my money.

Just ask your bank to match their price.

I've had two banks match their price without any problem.

I just ask for the manager.

<em>*ring ring*</em>

Hello, and thank you for calling Downey Savings, how would you like to withdraw your money, er I mean help you.

Hello, this is the Office of Thrift Supervision, and we need for you to stop lending, call and ask us if you can pay a dividend, and limit your asset growth.

What?! Why?!

Uh... what are you stupid? You have had a run to the tune of $219 million, 15% of your "assets" are non-performing, and you have been borrowing from the Fed like gambling addict in Vegas.

Oh... is that bad? Hold on... let me see if I can transfer you to our CEO, oh no wait... he quit last week. Uh... maybe I can find someone, can I put you on hold?

<a href="http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/downey-says-regulators-limit-some/story.aspx?guid={E42720CE-B4FB-48E5-8959-9CE189BFFC2C}">Regulators limit some Downey activities</a>

Bank sees net deposit inflows after period of 'elevated' withdrawals

By Alistair Barr, MarketWatch

Last update: 6:23 p.m. EDT Aug. 11, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Downey Financial Corp.'s main regulator has imposed several restrictions on the lender's activities, including limits on dividends, asset growth and new borrowing, according to a filing Monday.

Downey also said that it's experienced "elevated" levels of deposit withdrawals after reporting a $218.9 million second-quarter net loss in late July. The company stressed that net deposit inflows returned more recently, but also warned that if outflows resume it would have to raise new capital or borrow more to meet liquidity needs.

Shares of Downey fell 8.1% to $1.93 during after-hours trading on Monday. The stock dropped 6.3% in regular trading.

Since Downey reported its second-quarter loss on July 24, the Office of Thrift Supervision, its main regulator, has imposed several restrictions, the company said in its quarterly filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The Newport Beach, Calif.-based thrift has been hit hard by a surge in bad loans. Nonperforming assets made up more than 15% of total loans at the end of June. The company said earlier this year that it has set up a special committee of directors to explore strategic alternatives, including raising more capital. See related story.

Downey can't pay dividends without checking with the Office of Thrift Supervision first. The company's bank can't increase assets beyond net interest credited on deposits without OTS approval. It can only renew debt or borrow more money if the OTS doesn't object, according to the filing.

Downey also can't pay certain types of compensation and severance; it must tell the OTS before changing directors or executives, and before going ahead with transactions between any of its affiliates or subsidiaries, the filing also disclosed.

"We don't comment on supervision of individual companies," said William Ruberry, an OTS spokesman. Downey Chief Financial Officer Brian C?t? declined to comment.

A search of formal, public-enforcement actions by the OTS in relation to Downey on the regulator's Web site yielded two actions from 1999 and Aug. 30 last year.

Downey's main source of borrowing is the Federal Home Loan Banks, or FHLB. At the end of June, the thrift said it had borrowed $1.5 billion from the FHLB, which was a little more than 12% of total assets.

By the end of Friday, Downey's FHLB borrowing had jumped to $2.8 billion. It's allowed to borrow another $200 million, Downey noted in its quarterly SEC filing.

Downey also said its bank is allowed to borrow up to $1.5 billion from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco. At the end of Friday, it hadn't borrowed any money from this source, according to the filing.

So . . . last rites this coming Friday could be at Downey, <a href="http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/">or it could be at Vineyard.</a> Any guesses as to which? I'd say both, but that might require more personnel than the FDIC has.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1218540065]So . . . last rites this coming Friday could be at Downey, <a href="http://calculatedrisk.blogspot.com/">or it could be at Vineyard.</a> Any guesses as to which? I'd say both, but that might require more personnel than the FDIC has.</blockquote>

I thought Vineyard was a goner for last Friday, but now I would have to say both Vineyard and DSL for this Friday. The FDIC will have about $45 billion after IndyMac. I wonder how much Downey will cost us?

I dunno... I would add First Fed to the list, maybe a trifecta for Cali banks come Friday. <a href="http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/810536/000081053608000049/q063008edgar.htm">Some highlights of their latest 10Q</a>...

YOY: Deposits down by nearly a BILLION, yes... that is B I L L I O N.

YOY: Fed advances of over $1.25 BILLION, yes... that is B I L L I O N.

YOY: REO up 720%.

Don't even get me started on their REO write downs/gains on sale or the positive of $1.5bil in Q2 2007 to negative of $154mil on net principal loan collections.

Eh, I vote for the Trifecta Friday.

No... First Fed can't be going down. Their new branch in Irvine will save them! Besides, they have a big banner <a href="http://www.firstfedca.com/Page_1.cfm">on their home page</a> that says "Your deposits are safe at First Fed." Yes, I feel very confident in a bank when I see something like that.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1218580499]No... First Fed can't be going down. Their new branch in Irvine will save them! Besides, they have a big banner <a href="http://www.firstfedca.com/Page_1.cfm">on their home page</a> that says "Your deposits are safe at First Fed." Yes, I feel very confident in a bank when I see something like that.</blockquote>

I was confident when I read the op/ed letter from a <a href="http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bizletters27-2008jul27,0,6944745,full.story">chairman of First Fed in the LA Times</a>.

<em>

First Fed worries are unfounded

Regarding "Official calls bank system secure" (July 21): To link First Fed to "analyst concerns" creates a level of unease and fear that is totally unfounded. First Fed is not currently in any danger of being taken over by the FDIC, nor do we foresee any scenario that could even put us in that position.

First Fed has nearly twice the regulatory capital required to be considered "well-capitalized" under federal standards. First Fed has never been, nor are we currently, a subprime lender. We decreased our originations of option adjustable-rate mortgages in late 2005.Today we are funding traditional single-family loans that are fully underwritten with full documentation. The weakness in the real estate market in no way affects the safety of deposits insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.

First Fed has weathered many economic cycles since our founding in 1929. We will see our way through this current cycle as we have in prior cycles over the last eight decades.

Babette E. Heimbuch,

Chairman: First Federal Bank of California</em>

I should have wrote back suggesting Babette read that thing called a 10Q. And maybe understand that mortgages on their books are considered "assets" and when those "assets" go down in value they need to raise more assets for the liability (deposit) to asset ratio. But, hey I don't have the time to show a chairman that, and I am sure she knows more than I do, and sees something I can't in the 10Q.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1218558549]I dunno... I would add First Fed to the list, maybe a trifecta for Cali banks come Friday. <a href="http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/810536/000081053608000049/q063008edgar.htm">Some highlights of their latest 10Q</a>...

YOY: Deposits down by nearly a BILLION, yes... that is B I L L I O N.

YOY: Fed advances of over $1.25 BILLION, yes... that is B I L L I O N.

YOY: REO up 720%.

Don't even get me started on their REO write downs/gains on sale or the positive of $1.5bil in Q2 2007 to negative of $154mil on net principal loan collections.

Eh, I vote for the Trifecta Friday.</blockquote>

Sweet, my CD will be on deposit with the new FDIC-run Downey Federal Bank. Can't get much safer than that...

First Fed rates suck. They don't have the "offering-up-exorbitant-rates-to-attract-low-cost-capital" stench about them. I think Vineyard goes first, then Downey, then FF.

Back