Irvine Valley College - The Blue Ocean Strategy to UCLA

Until our son went to college every night
That's commendable. I've got two playing travel sports and a third that wants to go out for cheerleading in high school so it's getting harder, but certain nights are still pretty free.

That's commendable. I've got two playing travel sports and a third that wants to go out for cheerleading in high school so it's getting harder, but certain nights are still pretty free.
Ours just played JV/Varsity football and track. He wanted to play travel baseball but never put in the extra work to get to that level beyond little league and that was the gate for the high school baseball team. Looking back I'm glad we had him every night.

I really think name brand colleges are over rated unless you're talking absolute S tier (CalTech, CMU, MIT, Stanford). I see a lot of Ivy and UC folks struggle to get into where I work (and some make it in), and some people get in with state schools or even without degrees.

College prestige only matters until you actually get a job. What's more impressive, someone with a Harvard degree if they're working at some second tier consulting firm or the guy or gal from a state school working at Goldman or Meta? Once you have a top tier company on your resume, no one cares where you went to school. Nor does anyone care that you were hot shit 10 years ago getting into a great college...

In my culture, I know it matters when it comes to marriage. My best friend went to Harvard and he looks like a nerd. When we were both single in our mid to late 20s, So many parents with Korean daughters contacted his parents for a setup. No one called my parents for a setup.
I really think name brand colleges are over rated unless you're talking absolute S tier (CalTech, CMU, MIT, Stanford). I see a lot of Ivy and UC folks struggle to get into where I work (and some make it in), and some people get in with state schools or even without degrees.

College prestige only matters until you actually get a job. What's more impressive, someone with a Harvard degree if they're working at some second tier consulting firm or the guy or gal from a state school working at Goldman or Meta? Once you have a top tier company on your resume, no one cares where you went to school. Nor does anyone care that you were hot shit 10 years ago getting into a great college...

Last edited:
In my culture, I know it matters when it comes to marriage. My best friend went to Harvard and he looks like a nerd. When we were both single in our mid to late 20s, So many parents with Korean daughters contacted his parents for a setup. No one called my parents for a setup.
Good reason to date outside your culture then!

@ThirtySomethingWEquity
Panda was born with a weird DNA. I went to a high school where it was 95% white, and I never found any of white girls attractive. Thus i never went to Prom or homecoming in high school.

By weird DNA, I've only been attracted to Korean women ever since i was a little Panda. Even when I was a college student at Michigan, my Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Chinese friends all thought of Korean women as the 'Irvine Real Estate" among Asian women.
Good reason to date outside your culture then!

Last edited:
@ThirtySomethingWEquity
Panda was born with a weird DNA. I went to a high school where it was 95% white, and I never found any of white girls attractive. Thus i never went to Prom or homecoming in high school.

By weird DNA, I've only been attracted to Korean women ever since i was a little Panda. Even when I was a college student at Michigan, my Vietnamese, Taiwanese, Chinese friends all thought of Korean women as the 'Irvine Real Estate" among Asian women.
Can you even tell a korean woman from a taiwanese one every time? I mean, some of my korean friends joke that they go into restaurants in Irvine and the people will start speaking Madarin to them lol.

@ThirtySomethingWEquity,
You can't tell the difference between Irvine Real Estate and Fullerton Real Estate? I can tell the difference right away. We (Koreans) are known as the "Italians among the Asian race. We are so fashionable and fancy. We even dress up when we goto the Super Market.

I had the same thing happen to me when a Chinese waiter started to speak Mandarin to me at an Asian Fusion restaurant. I pretended to be Chinese and spoke back at him with my made up Cantonese. At first he thought I was crazy, but then we both had a good laugh.
Can you even tell a korean woman from a taiwanese one every time? I mean, some of my korean friends joke that they go into restaurants in Irvine and the people will start speaking Madarin to them lol.

It's Friday so WTH...I have ...experience with most Asian cultures. My completely politically uncorrect assessment:
Korean women - the most prim and proper but animals inside. usually larger cup sizes.
Vietnamese women - smartest and usually pretty hot
Mainland Chinese - most status conscious and seem to live in a different world
ABC women - cool and usually pretty hot and usually the most career competitive
Filipino women - many times break the hot/crazy meter (the best Youtube video of all time if you've never seen it)
Japanese women - hot in a very classy way (hello kimono look out in Roppongi) and patriarchal culture builds a focus on taking care of their man and posessing ultra filial piety as Japanese parents see their female children as most likely to care for them in old age which lasts a long time typically in Japan
Japanese American - usually very hot and pretty laid back. I married one.

What would Panda do if he was a high school student living in the 92603 zip code?

In 2023, 714 IVC students applied to UCLA, and 34% were admitted with a 25% - 75% GPA range between 3.78 to 4.00.

If Panda was a high school student living in the 92603 zip code. I would take dual enrollment, AP, and summer classes to accelerate my high school graduation in Uni High in 3 years vs 4 years. I wouldn't waste my time taking the SATs.

Enroll as a freshman at IVC making straight A's and knocking out all the Gen Ed requirement for UCLA and transfer. I graduate one year earlier than my peer and also start generating income one year before my peers. I would also save my parents in college expenses. This is a no brainer.

Let's compare to the results for 2022 for UCLA

Red Ocean Schools

Irvine High ~ 190 applications 18 admitted ~ 9.47% admissions rate
University High ~ 293 applications, 23 admitted ~ 7.8% admissions rate
Portola High ~ 293 applications, 30 admitted ~ 10.2% admissions rate
Northwood High ~ 299 applications, 35 admitted ~ 11.7% admissions rate
Woodbridge High ~ 249 applications, 19 admitted ~ 7.6% admissions rate
Panda, your analysis made a lot of sense as the top colleges accept a higher percentage of admission for transferring students from IVC than first-year high school students. Ranking is key to the college's reputation and business prospects. The household name websites extrapolate only the freshmen acceptance stats to determine the order of rankings leaving out the community college transferees ( the back door entry). Many colleges favor the affluent zip codes of applicants’ rich parents’ ability to pay full tuition, potential business liaison, and/or future substantial donation to the university.
What would Panda do if he was a high school student living in the 92603 zip code.

In 2023, 714 IVC students applied to UCLA and 34% were admitted with the 25% - 75% GPA range between 3.78 to 4.00.

If Panda was a high school student living in the 92603 zip code. I would take dual enrollment, AP, and summer classes to accelerate my high school graduation in Uni High in 3 years vs 4 years. I wouldn't waste my time taking the SATs.

Enroll as a freshman at IVC making straight A's and knocking out all the Gen Ed requirement for UCLA and transfer. I graduate one year earlier than my peer and also start generating income one year before my peers. I would also save my parents in college expenses. This is a no brainer.

Let's compare to the results for 2022 for UCLA

Red Ocean Schools

Irvine High ~ 190 applications 18 admitted ~ 9.47% admissions rate
University High ~ 293 applications, 23 admitted ~ 7.8% admissions rate
Portola High ~ 293 applications, 30 admitted ~ 10.2% admissions rate
Northwood High ~ 299 applications, 35 admitted ~ 11.7% admissions rate
Woodbridge High ~ 249 applications, 19 admitted ~ 7.6% admissions rate

Ranking is key to the college's reputation and business prospects.
No it really isn't, unless you're talking top 5. Someone from UCLA is not going to get any more special treatment than someone from Cal State Fullerton at my company, and most others. It certainly doesn't matter once you get to the interview stage either. You have to sink or swim without any credentials to back you up, the interviewers don't even see your resume.

No it really isn't, unless you're talking top 5. Someone from UCLA is not going to get any more special treatment than someone from Cal State Fullerton at my company, and most others. It certainly doesn't matter once you get to the interview stage either. You have to sink or swim without any credentials to back you up, the interviewers don't even see your resume.
Yeah, but it still matters to get to the interview stage, especially the first job.

Also something to say for “it’s not what you know it’s who you know”, especially if everyone has the same degree at the end of the day. Social skills matter more than most realize.

This is sort of off topic, but for those of you men who are married with kids. How often do you have dinner together as a family?
We’ve got 5 sports going at once - including club - and we average 4 times a week. But we work at it.

+1. Where’s the fire? Why are we trying to end childhoods?
If I had known how competitive Irvine is I probably would have chosen somewhere else. It’s everything, the kids, the parents and sometimes the neighbors. I am in no competition with anyone and have a pretty laid back outlook and it has all worked out. Same schools, same neighborhood and when I look around there are so many stressed out kids and parents. Everyone needs to slow down and enjoy just being in the present.

Our kids have lived in Irvine all their lives... no competition for them... but I think we are laid back parents... I only get upset when I know they are not trying but other than that bring home those Bs and Cs... who cares? :)

_college mom × 2 enters the chat_

I've learned a lot about college these last few years. It has changed my perspective. How I view it now is different than what I would have thought when I was reading these college threads when they were little kids back in the IHB / new TI days literally a lifetime ago. Where we're at now:

The youngest is graduating high school next month. Admitted into Mech Eng this fall. Interested in working at JPL. Starting his first job this summer. Learning the ropes of M.E. and how it all relates to the clean room, machine shop, assembly, etc.

Oldest is now finishing 3rd year of college - Comp Sci... applying to grad school soon for Comp Eng. Has been working seasonally every year as a Software Engineer for a defense contractor in Irvine. Loves it.

I'll just focus on one topic mentioned in this thread. I used to be more idealistic like the original post made by Panda about doing 2 years of GE at CC (AD-T) then transferring. Now having 2 engineers, I think it's more efficient to go straight into a 4 year school, which is what we did. Maybe it's just a STEM thing. But there are a lot of prerequisites and corequesites. So many that the suggested course scheduling handed out by the department displays GEs spread out over Fresh, Jr & Sr years which kind of surprised me. Not sophomore bc too many pre/coreqs. It's best to hit the ground running, in my experience as a double college momma. I'm not saying it can't be done by attending CC. It's just that if you add up the time it takes to complete each step separately, it will end up being a longer and therefore more costly process. Plus, since CC doesn't offer upper division courses, you have to frontload them all. That makes me a little concerned about the student's retention of math and other principles that you need to build upon for your degree. For the hard sciences, I'd do a 4 year college straight out of high school.

Fwiw, I'm not dogging IVC... I have an A.S. from IVC awarded in 2001. There were aspects I really loved about IVC. There are also things that I didn't think were a good fit for my kids. It really depends on where you're at in life, how much attention you're able to throw at school, and what your goals are.

I hope everyone is doing well as we end yet another school year.

Last edited:
Back