Irvine Valley College - The Blue Ocean Strategy to UCLA

panda

Irvine Valley College is the Blue Ocean Strategy. The Golden Ticket to the top UC Schools.

Irvine Valley College is one of the best community colleges in California, with the highest transfer rate to four-year universities out of all 116 community colleges in the state. Irvine Valley College graduates have transferred to prestigious universities like UC Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Brown, Columbia, and Caltech.

Last edited:
What would Panda do if he was a high school student living in the 92603 zip code.

In 2023, 714 IVC students applied to UCLA and 34% were admitted with the 25% - 75% GPA range between 3.78 to 4.00.

If Panda was a high school student living in the 92603 zip code. I would take dual enrollment, AP, and summer classes to accelerate my high school graduation in Uni High in 3 years vs 4 years. I wouldn't waste my time taking the SATs.

Enroll as a freshman at IVC making straight A's and knocking out all the Gen Ed requirement for UCLA and transfer. I graduate one year earlier than my peer and also start generating income one year before my peers. I would also save my parents in college expenses. This is a no brainer.

Let's compare to the results for 2022 for UCLA

Red Ocean Schools

Irvine High ~ 190 applications 18 admitted ~ 9.47% admissions rate
University High ~ 293 applications, 23 admitted ~ 7.8% admissions rate
Portola High ~ 293 applications, 30 admitted ~ 10.2% admissions rate
Northwood High ~ 299 applications, 35 admitted ~ 11.7% admissions rate
Woodbridge High ~ 249 applications, 19 admitted ~ 7.6% admissions rate

Last edited:
Back in the day when I was in college Santa Monica College was the main transfer feeder junior college to USC/UCLA. Going to junior college and transferring to a good school has always been a route available to everyone.

The freshman classes eventually have dropouts and by the time the freshman class becomes juniors the class is smaller allowing for the junior college transfers

Blue Ocean Schools (Top feeder schools to UCLA)

1. Santa Monica College
1548 36% 557 3.65-3.98
2. Pasadena College
1043 35% 365. 3.74-4.00
3. Deanza College
891 23% 205. 3.82-4.00
4. Irvine Valley College
714. 34% 242. 3.78-4.00

Tuition and Fees for 2023-2024 Academic Year. $1432 Wow! Who says everything is ridiculously over priced in Irvine? This is an incredible bargain to buy UCLA general ed credits for fraction of the cost. As a Parent who is investor minded, you want to max out on these bargain credits. Irvine Parents, Lets MaxRoi!

Panda is a strong advocate of dual enrollment credit over AP classes. Dual enrollment classes will accelerate both your child's high school and college classes like hitting two birds with one stone. Sometimes getting a 3 or 4 AP score may not transfer to UCLA, but all dual enrollment classes will transfer.

Last edited:
IVC and Saddleback have a great Dual Enrollment program too!

What would Panda do if he was a high school student living in the 92603 zip code.

In 2023, 714 IVC students applied to UCLA and 34% were admitted with the 25% - 75% GPA range between 3.78 to 4.00.

If Panda was a high school student living in the 92603 zip code. I would take dual enrollment, AP, and summer classes to accelerate my high school graduation in Uni High in 3 years vs 4 years. I wouldn't waste my time taking the SATs.

Enroll as a freshman at IVC making straight A's and knocking out all the Gen Ed requirement for UCLA and transfer. I graduate one year earlier than my peer and also start generating income one year before my peers. I would also save my parents in college expenses. This is a no brainer.

Let's compare to the results for 2022 for UCLA

Red Ocean Schools

Irvine High ~ 190 applications 18 admitted ~ 9.47% admissions rate
University High ~ 293 applications, 23 admitted ~ 7.8% admissions rate
Portola High ~ 293 applications, 30 admitted ~ 10.2% admissions rate
Northwood High ~ 299 applications, 35 admitted ~ 11.7% admissions rate
Woodbridge High ~ 249 applications, 19 admitted ~ 7.6% admissions rate
And miss all the fun senior year, as well as frosh/soph years at university? Those are times in your life you never get back when some of the best fun and memories are made - and friends.

You could do your 4 years of high school, take summer classes and finish the 2 years of IVC in only one year so you can transfer to UC and still be a year ahead without high school FOMO.

I am worried about how hard these kids are being pushed. What’s the hurry? Do kids have time for friends anymore? Do kids get jobs anymore? I have noticed a worrisome lack in social skills in the majority of high school students. Walk in front of cars, no eye contact…they are so engaged in studying they aren’t engaging with the world around them.

You could do your 4 years of high school, take summer classes and finish the 2 years of IVC in only one year so you can transfer to UC and still be a year ahead without high school FOMO.
Then you're a soph in the freshman dorm - kind of lurky. There's nothing wrong with these alternate routes but ROI should factor in the impossible replacement costs for lost experiences.

I am worried about how hard these kids are being pushed. What’s the hurry? Do kids have time for friends anymore? Do kids get jobs anymore? I have noticed a worrisome lack in social skills in the majority of high school students. Walk in front of cars, no eye contact…they are so engaged in studying they aren’t engaging with the world around them.
you're right to worry. close to a decade of tackle football toughened our kid yet he was still snowflakey when he'd receive criticism and had super low EQ. A few years of college at a Big 10 school far away from home has been a priceless experience to help him get his act together. Now he's VP of his house and on track for a very rewarding career with a full 4 years of college experiences to shape him.

Then you're a soph in the freshman dorm - kind of lurky. There's nothing wrong with these alternate routes but ROI should factor in the impossible replacement costs for lost experiences.
If you're doing the IVC to UC route (subject of this thread), it's assumed you will lose out on some of the college experience (which to me is overrated). I was referring to lost high school time... which is more noticeable than lost college time. As for college, you mention lurky... that is why I actually don't mind if immature 18-19 year olds are not interacting with 21 and 22 year olds.

Looking back... my frosh/soph experience was fun socially... but educationally and eventually career wise... irrelevant. And friends I made who were 3rd year transfers are still my good friends today... we don't talk about "Dude... you missed out on Frosh/Soph dorm life!".

There is definitely a lot of focus on the academic pressures. There is also a lot of pressure on the extracurriculars (sports, arts, etc). There is only so much time in a day/week/month. :(

This is sort of off topic, but for those of you men who are married with kids. How often do you have dinner together as a family?

This is sort of off topic, but for those of you men who are married with kids. How often do you have dinner together as a family?
We have dinner together around twice a week. Usually go out on Friday and Saturday for dinner. During the week the kids tend to eat around 6 or so or after sports stuff. I like to eat later as well as mi wife so during the week we don’t really eat together as a family

@Liar Loan, I like what you said about creating an environment that will allow your child to shine. It is all about knowing your child and how to groom them to become successful and productive adults. We live in a different world than the 1990s. We need to teach our kids the entrepreneurial skills to survive in the real world which is far valuable than achieving a 4.5 GPA with a 1500+ SAT score.

I got accepted to University of Michigan straight from high school. Not once was I ever asked, "Panda, did you transfer into University of Michigan from a Junior College?" UCLA is UCLA whether your child gets in from a Blue School or a Red School.

UCLA is a world class second tier Ivy brand name that your child will carry the UCLA name for the rest of his life. Your five children will change your family tree.

I hope your kids will be able attend the best UC school in California through the blue ocean strategy.

In Panda's eyes, Irvine Valley College is a hidden diamond in Irvine that only the elitist class seem to scoff at.
I love the practical thinking in this thread. Bonus points for @panda using MaxROI to sell the strategy.

Last edited:
Speaking from personal experience, I consider the opportunity for immature 18 year old's to interact with older working adults at local community college to be valuable. As an 18 year old I didn't pay much attention to my parents, but when my older classmate explained to me that many ATM's ran on IBM OS/2 back then, I paid attention.

And miss all the fun senior year, as well as frosh/soph years at university? Those are times in your life you never get back when some of the best fun and memories are made - and friends.
I know we're not supposed to "out" people here, but this wouldn't happen to be you would it? :D

1709757382072.jpeg

Back