Irvine Valley College - The Blue Ocean Strategy to UCLA

CAP Rate for the top Universities. Imagine if all the parents in Irvine started to see College Tuition no different than evaluating a Real Estate Investment Deal.

roi.jpg

Is the ROI supposed to be the money earned by going to that particular school? If so, none of those are very impresive.
Yes that is correct. It is the projection of income your child will make in 20 years net expenses. You can also see that Johns Hopkins is a great brand name college, but a poor investment. I would also put USC in the same category with almost $400k investment for 4 years. I dont think many parents in Irvine really have any idea about these numbers except for the brand name of the school. For a child to complete 2 years at IVC and finish 2 years at UCLA is an excellent investment in my opinion.

@Imnotmoving,
Just curious. How do you feel about the UC admission eliminating standardized exams like the SATs since 2020. Do you think it is a good decision and other top rated public universities should do the same?

My best friend went to Harvard and his son is a freshman there now. Guess when he started to take the SATs? In 7th grade, my best friend's son was already scoring 1320.

Yes that is correct. It is the projection of income your child will make in 20 years net expenses. You can also see that Johns Hopkins is a great brand name college, but a poor investment. I would also put USC in the same category with almost $400k investment for 4 years. I dont think many parents in Irvine really have any idea about these numbers except for the brand name of the school. For a child to complete 2 years at IVC and finish 2 years at UCLA is an excellent investment in my opinion.
Is this money per year? Or in total over 20 years?

@Imnotmoving,
Just curious. How do you feel about the UC admission eliminating standardized exams like the SATs since 2020. Do you think it is a good decision and other top rated public universities should do the same?

My best friend went to Harvard and his son is a freshman there now. Guess when he started to take the SATs? In 7th grade, my best friend's son was already scoring 1320.
I have never believed in the SAT. I do think they should be eliminated all together. It’s a waste of your child’s time to spend years studying and taking tests. I have relatives that have gone to usc, ucla and art center of pasadena. The art school was the hardest to get into and by far the most expensive. They also do in person interviews and review your portfolio, so you need to be smart AND talented. Not just memorizing some test to receive a number score.

I agree and I hope the other top Public universities like Michigan, UNC, UVA, and Tech follow the UC admissions' lead in eliminating the SATs.

I am familiar with Art Center as they have one of the best Graphic Design programs like Rhode Island School of Design. When i was a senior in high school i told my dad that i wanted to study graphic design at UCLA and immediately he turn that idea down. He said, "Panda, how are you going to put food on the table for your wife and the little Pandas with Graphic Design. Do you want to become a starving Artist? If you want you want to goto UCLA for Graphic Design you will have to pay for your own tuition because i am not paying for sunshine and some Art degree."

"When I was little, I wanted to become a Hong Kong Movie Star." - Panda

I have never believed in the SAT. I do think they should be eliminated all together. It’s a waste of your child’s time to spend years studying and taking tests. I have relatives that have gone to usc, ucla and art center of pasadena. The art school was the hardest to get into and by far the most expensive. They also do in person interviews and review your portfolio, so you need to be smart AND talented. Not just memorizing some test to receive a number score.

Last edited:

I agree and I hope the other top Public universities like Michigan, UNC, UVA, and Tech follow the UC admissions' lead in eliminating the SATs.

I am familiar with Art Center as they have one of the best Graphic Design programs like Rhode Island School of Design. When i was a senior in high school i told my dad that i wanted to study graphic design at UCLA and immediately he turn that idea down. He said, "Panda, how are you going to put food on the table for your wife and the little Pandas with Graphic Design. Do you want to become a starving Artist? If you want you want to goto UCLA for Graphic Design you will have to pay for your own tuition because i am not paying for sunshine and some Art degree."

"When I was little, I wanted to become a Hong Kong Movie Star." - Panda
The starving artist theory is antiquated and disrespectful. The artist in my family is by far the most financially successful in their career, the $1,182,000 MIT number for 20 years was accomplished in 3 years. I would never discourage my children from choosing their own career path.

I agree with your statement. The problem is that most Asian moms in Irvine dont think like you. Perhaps you can influence them to the truth. The red ocean high school teachers do not value Creative Kids while people like you may see Genius in them.
The starving artist theory is antiquated and disrespectful. The artist in my family is by far the most financially successful in their career, the $1,182,000 MIT number for 20 years was accomplished in 3 years. I would never discourage my children from choosing their own career path.

Last edited:
I agree with your statement. The problem is that most Asian moms in Irvine dont think like you. Perhaps you can influence them to the truth.
I have tried. They think I don’t value education. Rude. Then I explain we are all living in the same area so the goal can be achieved even as an artist. The artist works from home, no set hours, no boss….sounds like the American dream to me.

We spent quite a bit of money funding our artist. Then they decided they were tired of it. :(

Now they want to go into a different type of art.

Oh well... not gonna roast their dreams. :)

@irvinehomeowner,

If your kids's dream is to become a Hong Kong Movie Star like me when I was little, It is okay for Asian parents to roast your dreams. :) .

Just curious, What type of Art were you funding before and what type of Art is your son pursuing now?

We spent quite a bit of money funding our artist. Then they decided they were tired of it. :(

Now they want to go into a different type of art.

Oh well... not gonna roast their dreams. :)

Last edited:
There's a doctor I know working in LA who wants to be an actor.
He only works part time so he can attend auditions.

I told him "At least you're doing better than the waiters who wanna act."

How do all the other Parents in Irvine feel about UC Admissions removing the SATs requirements since 2020? Should all the other top public universities follow UC Admissions lead in getting rid of the SATs?

Back