Irvine High School college bound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
sentosa said:
I am wondering if there's any data tracking how those kids do after they got into those ivy schools. If a kid needs tutoring in order to get through elementary middle and high school and go to a top tier university, I really doubt their ability to survive there.

There are special tutoring and support programs in most colleges for students with low socio economic backgrounds to make sure they can survive the transition.  Not sure if Ivy Leagues offer such services???

Low socio economic and wealthy students could seek tutorial help at the top colleges. Once the schools accept a student the schools go out of the way to nurture the student. These top private colleges limit freshmen population to as small as 230 at Scripps and CMC or max at 2500 at Stanford and Cornell so each student receives special guidance. Public colleges on the other hand would have limitation in helping the students in need due to class size and budget.

ZeroLot said:
sentosa said:
I am wondering if there's any data tracking how those kids do after they got into those ivy schools. If a kid needs tutoring in order to get through elementary middle and high school and go to a top tier university, I really doubt their ability to survive there.

There are special tutoring and support programs in most colleges for students with low socio economic backgrounds to make sure they can survive the transition.  Not sure if Ivy Leagues offer such services???

I'll admit that I only skimmed this thread but not sure what real conclusion you can draw from Beckman college acceptances versus IUSD acceptances based on the data IHS posted.  The data is pretty lacking in terms of being able to analyze much of anything.

#1 - you are a freaking idiot if you buy a house in irvine thinking IUSD alone gets your kid into a top college.
#2 - you are an even bigger idiot if you now think tusd accomplishes that instead.

irvinehomeshopper said:
The subtle differences between real Irvinehomeowner vs the knock off IrvineHome0wner is like TUSD and IUSD.

Wait. So which is better?  Don't need to get sour bc your daughter didn't get into an ivy.  Listen to the majority on this forum. Ivy is not end all be all. In fact, some prefer their kids not to go to an ivy. Consider yourself lucky she didn't get in.

Perhaps my standards are too low compared to YAW Irvine people.

but I would be SO proud if my two boys get a HOPE Scholarship to Georgia Tech in 14 years.

Tech ranks below UCLA and Berkeley ( Almost impossible to get into these days. If you can get into LA and Berkeley today, you can also get into an Ivy)

... but Tech ranks above UC San Diego, Davis, and Irvine.

Full ride to Tech baby! That is good enough for me  8)

I am not sour at all. Since most of you still have young kids I am here to re set your frame of reference and don't get your hope too high even though you just paid a whopping price for a tiny lot hoping that getting your kids into a top college is worth the sacrifice. The reality as posted most students from IUSD and TUSD are UC or Cal States bound just like the kids from Fountain Valley.

My daughter got accepted to the top tier UCs and so did a bunch of her peers but 99% did not get into Ivy.

Besides IVY there are other schools that are just as good and not highly branded like MIT, Cal Tech, Georgetown, Pomona, Williams, Harvey Mudd, Claremont McKenna, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, U of Chicago and etc.
Panda said:
Perhaps my standards are too low compared to YAW Irvine people.

but I would be SO proud if my two boys get a HOPE Scholarship to Georgia Tech in 14 years.

Tech ranks below UCLA and Berkeley ( Almost impossible to get into these days. If you can get into LA and Berkeley today, you can also get into an Ivy)

... but Tech ranks above UC San Diego, Davis, and Irvine.

Full ride to Tech baby! That is good enough for me  8)

irvinehomeshopper said:
I am not sour at all. Since most of you still have young kids I am here to re set your frame of reference and don't get your hope too high even though you just paid a whopping price for a tiny lot hoping that getting your kids into a top college is worth the sacrifice. The reality as posted most students from IUSD and TUSD are UC or Cal States bound just like the kids from Fountain Valley.

Mindblowing advice. Shit. Now I really regret my tiny lot purchase.

The lower the yield the higher the acceptance rate.
The higher the yield the lower the acceptance rate.

Yield is the percentage= students actually attend/students accepted

Examples: Harvard and Stanford both have high yield and UC  Merced and Riverside have low yield.

irvinehomeshopper said:

Examples: Harvard and Stanford both have high yield and UC  Merced and Riverside have low yield.

The yield is also lower on some "not as well known or popular" colleges like Johns Hopkins, WashU, Rice, Tufts, etc. All good schools. So if u target your search right instead of applying where everyone else and their mother is applying, you could have a leg up.

irvinehomeshopper said:

For what it's worth, the more instructive data point would be degree attainment -- from there, annual earnings after college.

As an example, my better half's family (all 5 kids) went to IVC. But one graduated Cal and the other Hastings Law; two others from state schools. So appreciate the data and intensive focus but society broadly only cares if you actually have a degree first, where you got it second (unless it is a highly skilled profession in which a degree is a given).

Ok you are right I am sour. I made a sacrifice to live in a tiny cramp place. I can't even host one party to invite all my relatives and having to do several. It is embarrassing to do it at a multi purpose room and share the facility with neighbors. Endless waiting in line for same mediocre food. I pay more at Target and Costco compared to my relatives from Fountain Valley. I am losing my patience behind Darthvader drivers. I am tired of my neighbors' farting habit in their bathrooms. I am tired of paying more for everything. I am tired of Mello Roos. I want to skip my HOAs. I am tired of hearing my neighbors bickering in their homes. I am tired of local traffic. I am tried of never ending construction. I am tired driving up the wrong driveways. I am tired my mother still can't find my house. I am tired of my guests ask where is my living room. I am tired my furniture and TV are sticky from the kitchen grease. I am tired the the landscapers blower at 7am. I am tired people always park in front of my house. I am tired keeping up with the Wangs. I am tired my daughter could not keep up with the school competitions. I have nightmare of IVC, Cal State and UC schools. Irvine is all about the good schools!
irvinehome0wner said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
The subtle differences between real Irvinehomeowner vs the knock off IrvineHome0wner is like TUSD and IUSD.

Wait. So which is better?  Don't need to get sour bc your daughter didn't get into an ivy.  Listen to the majority on this forum. Ivy is not end all be all. In fact, some prefer their kids not to go to an ivy. Consider yourself lucky she didn't get in.

Sorry, I am Chinese.

These are a must:

Degree from a top college, LV hand bags, BMW, Lexus or and Mercedes, Irvine address, Music lessons for my kid and suitcaseful of cash.

thatOSguy said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

For what it's worth, the more instructive data point would be degree attainment -- from there, annual earnings after college.

As an example, my better half's family (all 5 kids) went to IVC. But one graduated Cal and the other Hastings Law; two others from state schools. So appreciate the data and intensive focus but society broadly only cares if you actually have a degree first, where you got it second (unless it is a highly skilled profession in which a degree is a given).

My kid got into all you just mentioned but --------- won. I was just playing you. I don't live in Irvine. My crash pad in NYC is bigger than most of your Irvine cracker boxes. My California property size could fit 20 motorcourt houses. I hate to follow and don't expect me behind you in the herd line. Don't let the system games you.

I actually got to meet IHS, Jr. She is a real sweetie! Smart like her daddy, too. Please give her my congratulations on her graduation. She has a bright future ahead.

irvinehomeshopper said:
Sorry, I am Chinese.

These are a must:

Degree from a top college, LV hand bags, BMW, Lexus or and Mercedes, Irvine address, Music lessons for my kid and suitcaseful of cash.

So you'd be disappointed with my bro-in-law when he was accepted to IVC.

But then graduated Hastings and passed the bar just a few years later.

Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back