Irvine demographic & impact on kids

Perspective said:
It's an interesting question too, because of the large numbers. One-fifth of the world's population is east Asian, yet in professional sports leagues, they have fractional representation.

Who has time for sports?  They are all waiting in line at the shrimp buffet.

WTTCHMN said:
Perspective said:
It's an interesting question too, because of the large numbers. One-fifth of the world's population is east Asian, yet in professional sports leagues, they have fractional representation.

Who has time for sports?  They are all waiting in line at the shrimp buffet.

Or in line for the crab legs. Lol

Irvinecommuter said:
momopi said:
There's actually quite a few East Asians that played for the NBA and NCAA.  However, most never reached the same status as Yao Ming or Jeremy Lin.

Sun Yue, for example, was with the Lakers for a year, and didn't really do much.

Sure...and there was Wang Zhi Zhi (Clippers) and the Chairman Yi Jianlian (who sent NBA teams a video of him driving around a literal chair)

Still...there have been only 9 NBA players from Asian countries:
http://ballislife.com/top-10-make-it-9-asian-nba-players/

There are more East Asian players in the NBA, but went unnoticed due to their mediocre careers, like Liu Wei who flunked out of Sacramento Kings.

Img222498516.jpg

Similar example in American football, John Lee (Korean) did great in college football (UCLA), but flunked out of St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Raiders.

john-lee.png

Not Asian...  As mentioned in another thread, I went to high school with Ed O'Bannon.  Sadly, today people only remember his NBA career as "what could have been".

-1x-1.jpg

For every success in NBA, NFL, Hollywood, etc., there are endless piles of failures and shattered dreams.  Spoke to an old lady friend last week who came to LA as a beautiful young hapa college grad with Hollywood dreams.  20 years later and countless acting/screenwriting classes and failed auditions, she is now living in her father's apartment as a single mom and working 3 jobs.

So, before complaining about Asians (or anyone else) being under-represented, have some consideration for the actual success rate, and all those who sacrificed their youth for the attempt.

eyephone said:
irvineorbust said:
My son's travel ball baseball team only has one Asian player.  The team is based in Irvine but only 3 are from city of Irvine though.

My other kid told me that many Asian kids in high school quit sport to study for SAT or boost GPA for college in jr and sr years.  Also I've seen Asian parents forcing kids to quit sports.

It has to do with physical size and strength.  Also there are a lot more white and black kids with parents who played sports in their youth and even high school and college level than most immigrant Asian-American parents.  What you get through gene and learn from watching your parents do are two biggest factors in kids' developing interest in sports (same goes to most of other occupations). 

The prime examples are Steph Curry, Caly Thompson, and Kobe Bryant, all are among the greatest NBA players with fathers who were pretty dam good pro players themselves...  May be in 25 to 30 years, Jeremy Lin or Yao Ming's sons could make it to NBA...

My point is, even though we see more Asian kids getting involved in sports and getting better physically, they just can't complete with bigger, stronger, and taller counter parts (just yet).  Asian parents put more emphasis on academics than sports, which is nothing wrong, but the dog that you feed more will get grow stronger...

Kendra Maeda is from Japan that signed with the Dodgers. Take a look at his contract.
http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-o...ning-of-japanese-pitcher-kenta-maeda-official

I disagree with your statement Asians can't compete with bigger, stronger, and taller counter parts.

I'm still waiting for Irvineorbust response

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCHMN said:

Once he left Purple and Gold, ps9 dropped him like a hot potato.

Lakers made a mistake letting Lin walk. They went with Young, and we all know how that turned out.

Is this even surprising? Lakers front office sucks without West. Even Byron "the worse coach ever" Scott stayed way too long.

Back