iPhone 8 News

Yea, I'm sure the IOS updates to support the X will virtually brick my ancient Iphone6.

Not single feature I really need.  I suppose the old instaphotshop, I mean portrait mode is nice.  I totally need it for the next kids birthday party,  I mean I'm the only one not shopping my photos to the point warping the background on instagram

Funny, this thread is about the 8 but we are all talking about the X.

Maybe they did that so when they release the 9 next year, they can put the Home button back.

One thing the rumors got wrong is a 7s this year. I believe this is the first year they did not do an S release since the 3GS in 2009.

The 8 is basically the same design as the 7 but has a glass back, A11 CPU, TrueTone display, double the memory, and wireless charging. I think iPhone 7 cases are compatible with the 8 so the 8 really is a 7s.

iacrenter said:
It will be much harder to discreetly open my iPhone during business meetings, classes and even church. Apple will be making my life hard.  ;)

Honestly, a lot of people use their Bible app in church these days. I prefer not to since like to highlight & take notes directly in my Bible but others certainly prefer the app. I'm told by my kid that you can do the same thing in the app. It also makes it super easy to make the text bigger / switch versions. It doesn't look out of place turning on your phone to open your app... unless the automated voice loudly announces: "It's been 6 months since you opened your Bible app"... (Who's seen that John Crist video. Haha!! Hilarious.)

Found it.  :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqEIaORPge4

Perhaps I missed it, but did they also list waterproofing on the 8 or the X?

Boy that Apple Watch 3 sure didn't make any waves. Wife uses her iWatch fairly often, despite the fact she's not employed by the Boston Red Sox organization. She saw the 8 and the X presentation and was surprisingly underwhelmed given her being solidly in the Apple column.

I've long wondered when we'll hit "peak tech" - when the devices just no longer reach a breakthrough and the upgrade cycle is broken. We may be nearer than thought.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Perhaps I missed it, but did they also list waterproofing on the 8 or the X?

Boy that Apple Watch 3 sure didn't make any waves. Wife uses her iWatch fairly often, despite the fact she's not employed by the Boston Red Sox organization. She saw the 8 and the X presentation and was surprisingly underwhelmed given her being solidly in the Apple column.

I've long wondered when we'll hit "peak tech" - when the devices just no longer reach a breakthrough and the upgrade cycle is broken. We may be nearer than thought.

My .02c

Apple Watch3 has the makings for a great device if the battery life isn't too much of an issue. I enjoy my current Watch 2 workout app, music portability, alert notifications, and especially voice to text--much faster than I can type. It's definitely not a must have device but once you use it, you'll like it.

I've never owned an Apple product, but from my cursory glancing at fanboy articles on various websites, it seems like Apple hasn't done much innovating since their last CEO kicked the bucket.

This phone itself might be a good investment. I heard the phone comes out in the US before China. (Buy and sell to Chinese consumer)  I'm hearing possibility roi estimate two to three times for the basic iPhone 8 model.

eyephone said:
This phone itself might be a good investment. I heard the phone comes out in the US before China. (Buy and sell to Chinese consumer)  I'm hearing possibility roi estimate two to three times for the basic iPhone 8 model.

So sad. They build the damn things in China and the locals can't get any of them.

Not to hijack this thread, but iarenter's quote reminded me of a news story I saw today:

"In (the game) Overwatch, the continent of Africa hosts many technologically advanced cities. Outside of Overwatch (in the real world), the continent of Africa can't even get a single server to play Overwatch on".

The story goes that any African OW player has to sign on in Europe or Asia and even then internet speeds are so clunky it's difficult to play the game effectively.

The spread of technology, games or phones, does not seem to be all that evenly handed IMHO.

My .02c

So which model will Apple sell more of?

I'm thinking the 8/8Plus but the fanboi is strong when it comes to Apple bleeding edge products.

iacrenter said:
I usually upgrade every year except last year. Rumors of the iPhone X and OLED kept  me away from the 7. Plus losing the headphone jack sounded like a real bummer. So I can see your point if you really plan to keep your phone for several years. Maybe buy one of the cheaper phones, keep your current iPhone, or buy a used phone to tide you over until they upgrade to gigabit LTE or 5G. But given the uncertainty on the rollout, I wouldn't worry too much. Enjoy the new phones now and you can you always upgrade later. iPhones have decent resale value.

akkord said:
Deal breaker for me since I keep my phones 2-3 years on average. If gigabit LTE is next year why get the X now?  If you upgrade every year nothing is a deal breaker since you get the newest  tech every year.

iacrenter said:
akkord said:
Anyone read up on Gigabit LTE and that this version of the iPhone may not have it.  I may hold out until next year and hope OLED screen iPhones become the norm and cheaper.

Not having giga LTE will not be a deal breaker this year. I don't foresee providers rolling out the technology until next year in select markets.

More information regarding LTE in the new iPhones:http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/26/super-fast-bionic-glass-iphone-8-review

LTE

Apple is reportedly using either an Intel XMM7480 modem, or a Qualcomm Snapdragon X16 for LTE support with CDMA. That means if your carrier supports LTE Advanced, iPhone 8 appears to support 3GP Release 12, or 4CA (four x carrier aggregation) for insane (yet theoretical) mobile speeds of up to 600Mbps (basic LTE service typically tops out around 40Mbps).

Of course, this technology only helps if your carrier supports it. In the U.S., AT&T has been deploying LTE Advanced networks in a series of cities and Verizon now claims LTE Advanced coverage in "more than 450 cities," although neither make any promises about actual throughput speeds. Even solid 40Mbps LTE service delivers a spectacular experience for mobile users browsing the web and downloading music.

Carriers also may advertise support for brand names such as Verizon's XLTE (Band 13) or Tmobile's Extended Range LTE (Band 12). These bands (like AT&T Band 17) use lower frequencies for spreading out service to cover more area and to better penetrate buildings. However these lower frequencies are intended to stretch network usability, not to deliver maximum data rates.

Qualcomm has sought to create a media narrative that portrays Apple as distantly behind in various technologies, in particular the idea that the company's newest iPhone 8 and iPhone X do not support Qualcomm's newest 5CA or 6CA 1 or 1.2Gbps LTE (because Apple is not exclusively using Qualcomm modems; Intel's modem is limited to Release 12 and 4CA).

However, carriers around the world currently do not yet take full advantage of LTE Advanced's Release 12 600Mbps theoretical maximum, let alone Qualcomm's promise to facilitate nearly doubling this with Gbps LTE. While Gbps networks are slowly being rolled out, the reality is that very fast mobile data rates require dedicating lots of valuable spectrum using techniques such as carrier aggregation.

The new technology makes for a great demo and confers bragging rights to the carriers who have claimed to implement it first, but in reality spectrum will continue to be allocated to enable hosting the most paying subscribers at lower real-world rates, not super high data rates. Carriers have historically preferred to deliver service to 5 times the users than to a fifth the users at five times the speed, as 1 Gbps LTE 5CA does.

LTE carriers already broadly have the potential to deliver 40Mbps, but rarely actually deliver such speeds. OpenSignal reported this year that the top U.S. carriers only achieved average LTE download speeds of less than 17Mbps, while the global LTE download average was only 17.4 Mbps. It sure looks like carriers are optimizing their networks for volumes of users, not speed.

There are also other factors impacting the deployment of super fast networks in the future. As Cherlynn Low wrote for Engadget earlier this year, new Gbps LTE technologies can "achieve speeds of up to 1 Gbps in simulations and controlled environments. In the real world, though, speeds are expected to be closer to between 100 and 300 Mbps."

My 6s is already acting up, feeling like it's time to upgrade. But to what?  I'm thinking a 7 since I see no reason to go to 8. Then I can give this 6s to my wife who is still on a 5.

Back