Inspection on new construction

bwpunch said:
Different builders (or even the sales managers) might have different rules.  3 years ago I was able to have Steve to do both pre-drywall and final walkthrough inspection.

Prior to pre-drywall, the sales office requested Steve for the proof of insurance and some license info.  He also had to go in the office to sign some papers.

however, if possible, I highly recommend you do pre-drywall + final walkthrough with Steve.

Or you go to the construction site as often as possible and take hundreds of pictures. Important times include just after framing (take pics of everywhere the wood studs are mounted to the concrete foundation, pre-drywall but after pipes have been installed (take a couple hundred pics of every square inch, including the ceilings and roof and garage ceiling, which is invaluable when you have to do drywall repair or plumbing service or even drilling screws for future cabinetry), pre-drywall after the insulation has been installed (but before drywall), and immediately post-drywall (sometimes insulation falls out/down and the drywaller doesn't bother to put it back in!). There will be about a 1.5-2 week delay after insulation, because they need to wait for the inspector. You must get in there at that time to take tons of pics everywhere there's insulation. Because when they start drywall, they finish super super fast like in 1-1.5 days, and then you'll never ever know what's behind or not behind those walls. Lastly, you MUST get back in there right after drywall is finished to see if any insulation is lying on the ground; if you don't go back fast enough, it will go out with the rest of the garbage and you'll never know.

CogNeuroSci said:
bwpunch said:
Different builders (or even the sales managers) might have different rules.  3 years ago I was able to have Steve to do both pre-drywall and final walkthrough inspection.

Prior to pre-drywall, the sales office requested Steve for the proof of insurance and some license info.  He also had to go in the office to sign some papers.

however, if possible, I highly recommend you do pre-drywall + final walkthrough with Steve.

Or you go to the construction site as often as possible and take hundreds of pictures. Important times include just after framing (take pics of everywhere the wood studs are mounted to the concrete foundation, pre-drywall but after pipes have been installed (take a couple hundred pics of every square inch, including the ceilings and roof and garage ceiling, which is invaluable when you have to do drywall repair or plumbing service or even drilling screws for future cabinetry), pre-drywall after the insulation has been installed (but before drywall), and immediately post-drywall (sometimes insulation falls out/down and the drywaller doesn't bother to put it back in!). There will be about a 1.5-2 week delay after insulation, because they need to wait for the inspector. You must get in there at that time to take tons of pics everywhere there's insulation. Because when they start drywall, they finish super super fast like in 1-1.5 days, and then you'll never ever know what's behind or not behind those walls. Lastly, you MUST get back in there right after drywall is finished to see if any insulation is lying on the ground; if you don't catch it, it will go out with the rest of the garbage and you'll never know.

But, how do we go in at such stages and so often? We can only go in on weekends after we sign at the sales.
One of times i went in to check(3 yrs back) and security told me i should not he at the site.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
CogNeuroSci said:
bwpunch said:

Or you go to the construction site as often as possible and take hundreds of pictures. Important times include just after framing (take pics of everywhere the wood studs are mounted to the concrete foundation, pre-drywall but after pipes have been installed (take a couple hundred pics of every square inch, including the ceilings and roof and garage ceiling, which is invaluable when you have to do drywall repair or plumbing service or even drilling screws for future cabinetry), pre-drywall after the insulation has been installed (but before drywall), and immediately post-drywall (sometimes insulation falls out/down and the drywaller doesn't bother to put it back in!). There will be about a 1.5-2 week delay after insulation, because they need to wait for the inspector. You must get in there at that time to take tons of pics everywhere there's insulation. Because when they start drywall, they finish super super fast like in 1-1.5 days, and then you'll never ever know what's behind or not behind those walls. Lastly, you MUST get back in there right after drywall is finished to see if any insulation is lying on the ground; if you don't catch it, it will go out with the rest of the garbage and you'll never know.

But, how do we go in at such stages and so often? We can only go in on weekends after we sign at the sales.
One of times i went in to check(3 yrs back) and security told me i should not he at the site.

You go at 6am in the morning or 2am at night. You go as often as you can because it's a huge investment for you. Don't talk about it (except with friends, family, and home inspector). It's vital and in your own best interest, which is not what homebuilders are worried about. It's not like you're breaking into somewhere to steal something, right? You're breaking into your future property.

I agree with CogNeuroSci, it's a case of asking for forgiveness later. We never really had any issues with visiting our house while it was being built but we also didn't go through the sales office to ask permission. They are not going to give you the green light to go on their job site unaccompanied for liability reasons.

I'm attaching some screenshots of an inspection report we got from Steve to give people an idea of the issues he found. The report is 13 pages long so there is a lot more to it than these screenshots. Hopefully it also shows how important pre drywall inspection is.

Attachments

• inspection1.JPG
    inspection1.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 171
  • inspection2.JPG
    inspection2.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 122
  • inspection3.JPG
    inspection3.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 108
  • inspection4.JPG
    inspection4.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 116
Just go to the construction site and act like you belong. If anyone asks anyone questions just tell them the sales office said it was fine to go check out your house.

Here's an anecdote with our 1st home, which was a new construction about 6 years ago. The construction site manager (also known as site superintendent, depending on the builder) was an A-hole who liked to talk big and lie. When I realized this, I knew I could not trust anything he said and I had to go check out my condo as often as possible. The problem was I was super busy with work on every Sunday. So I requested another visit day in writing based on the sales office's suggestion, but the VP of Construction rejected it. So I took matters into my own hands by visiting whenever I wanted to, but I kept it totally out in the open and I would often go in the early afternoons. At first, the contractors just ignored me or I would say hi and they would say hi back. Eventually, word got back to the site manager, and on one afternoon, I went up to the master bdr to check out the damn ceiling that wasn't plumb (floor contractors saw me and were told to keep an eye out for me), and a few minutes later I hear the sound of stomping shoes entering the condo and stomping up the staircase. The A-hole was all riled up and with arms waving (like fighting gesture) and yelled, "You can't be in here!" I said of course I can be in here, it's my house. He said it's not my house yet. I said so I have put in a ton of money already and I can't get a refund and it's not mine LOL? He said that's right. So I said then he needs to call the police, and that's when his arms came down and he said he didn't want to call the police. I said then I can call the police for him, because I'd be interested to see how the police would respond to the situation and it would be even more interesting to see the effect on my relationship with the home builder after move-in. That's when he capitulated and calmed down and asked what it was I wanted. I told him all I want is for him to let me help him by keeping an eye on my unit because he has over 100 units to worry about.

marmott said:
I agree with CogNeuroSci, it's a case of asking for forgiveness later. We never really had any issues with visiting our house while it was being built but we also didn't go through the sales office to ask permission. They are not going to give you the green light to go on their job site unaccompanied for liability reasons.

I'm attaching some screenshots of an inspection report we got from Steve to give people an idea of the issues he found. The report is 13 pages long so there is a lot more to it than these screenshots. Hopefully it also shows how important pre drywall inspection is.

Could you share who was the builder? And did the builder correct these issues noted before putting up the drywall?

Here's another story, one with our current house and which Steve helped me out! I was going out there a lot of evenings, like 1am, but one week, there were Mexican dudes out there multiple nights, like they were literally camping there right outside my house (which was being constructed). I called Steve about another issue but brought up, naively, that I think the homebuilder is onto me and has asked construction guys to stay at the construction site overnight and that I was kind of pissed off about that. Steve said I can't jump to conclusions, that it was more likely that some of the construction guys were probably driving all the way from Moreno Valley so it's easier for them to just stay there overnight!

marmott said:

It almost appears like there was a crew or two missing on days from your construction.  If this was pre-inspection I'd understand, if these got through inspection I would have been thoroughly dumbfounded.  He is exceedingly detailed.  My friend just hired him for a KB project in the Groves.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
confirmed with IP - They don't allow pre dry wall inspection. Bummer!

As the other posts said, bring in the inspector quietly. If asked, just told them you both are the buyers. If asked to leave, just call the police.

Caveat: I never tried this myself though  ;D

talkirvine said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:

As the other posts said, bring in the inspector quietly. If asked, just told them you both are the buyers. If asked to leave, just call the police.

Call the police on yourself?

talkirvine said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:

And how do you suggest we ask them to address the issues the inspector musters up in his report if they don?t allow pre-dry wall inspections in the first place  :D

Yousr said:
talkirvine said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:

And how do you suggest we ask them to address the issues the inspector musters up in his report if they don?t allow pre-dry wall inspections in the first place  :D

Easily. You discuss with the homebuilder as if you were the one to discover the issues. Which I was. With all the pics I took, I would send some to Steve Lottatore and get his opinion.

During my first phone call with Steve at the initial rough framing phase, Steve used terms like sole plate and weep screed, which got me confused. After I got off the phone, I researched those and other terms. From that point on, if I had an issue to call Steve about, I researched the technical aspects BEFORE I called him. In addition, since I was the one to bring these issues up with the homebuilder, I also used those technical terms with the construction site manager and his boss. I was talking on the same level with them and oftentimes I was ahead of them with, for example, viable and unviable solutions.

Back