INFLATION IS OUR FRIEND

Additionally?

electrifying half of the U.S. motor vehicle fleet would require in rough terms:

* 9 times the world?s current cobalt production
* 4 times global neodymium output
* 3 times global lithium production
* 2 times world copper production

I concluded by saying:

Oil?s dominance in transportation is largely due to its high energy density. That density and improvements in internal combustion engines and hybrids assure that oil will be fueling transport for decades to come.

Powerful lobby groups want Congress to spend billions on electrification schemes that will impose regressive taxes on low-income Americans, reduce our resilience, and increase reliance on China. That?s a dubious trifecta.

morekaos said:
Oil?s dominance in transportation is largely due to its high energy density. That density and improvements in internal combustion engines and hybrids assure that oil will be fueling transport for decades to come.

I still recall a presentation I gave about 15 years ago in a biz class and noted that a gallon of gasoline has the same energy as 130,000 AA batteries.  Still, a majority of those petrol joules are simply wasted.  Gasoline is a highly efficient form of energy, but gasoline engines are not efficient relative to battery electric motors.

The hot topic in my household the past 2 weeks is how big is big enough of solar/battery to make it off grid, and whether we want to pull the trigger on it. 

half of buyers have incomes less than $140k?  (and I personally wouldn't call $140k household income Beemer class...

* The average household income for EV buyers is about $140,000. That?s roughly two times the U.S. average. And yet, federal EV tax credits force low- and middle-income taxpayers to subsidize the Benz and Beemer crowd.

daedalus said:
morekaos said:

I still recall a presentation I gave about 15 years ago in a biz class and noted that a gallon of gasoline has the same energy as 130,000 AA batteries.  Still, a majority of those petrol joules are simply wasted.  Gasoline is a highly efficient form of energy, but gasoline engines are not efficient relative to battery electric motors.

The hot topic in my household the past 2 weeks is how big is big enough of solar/battery to make it off grid, and whether we want to pull the trigger on it.
your name always takes me back to the Hercules cartoons of my youth

You need to pull the trigger now - the 8.16 kW / 3 PW system I paid $40K for 2 yrs ago is now almost $100K. Looking forward to settling up with PGE NEM in April. Love charging my bargain base Model 3 with free electrons via a heavily subsidized infrastructure (hello 5 figure tax refund) vs >$5/gal up here now, going to $10/gal IMO. I would imagine this has also significantly increased the value of my home. Go for it.

ICE is ~30% efficiency if I recall. Is that balanced out by the energy density of petroleum? Good analysis for someone way smarter than me.

OCtoSV said:
daedalus said:
morekaos said:

You need to pull the trigger now - the 8.16 kW / 3 PW system I paid $40K for 2 yrs ago is now almost $100K. Looking forward to settling up with PGE NEM in April. Love charging my bargain base Model 3 with free electrons via a heavily subsidized infrastructure (hello 5 figure tax refund) vs >$5/gal up here now, going to $10/gal IMO. I would imagine this has also significantly increased the value of my home. Go for it.

$10/gallon gas is going to lead to a recession. Everything that gets shipped will go up, including the food on your plate. The cost for the little guy to drive to the grocery store, their jobs, the doc etc is going to hurt them badly. They will have no choice but to buy less. Amazon free delivery you say? They will just raise their prices too. USPS raising prices in July. Don't think it matters? Lots of stuff goes USPS and prices will rise even for free delivery.

Inflation will rise, people who have jobs will demand more money and there will be lots who lose their jobs.

Been thru oil increases like what $10 per gallon would do to us. Not a good thing. Ask Jimmy Carter about it.

Signed, Miss Debby Downer.

Compressed-Village said:
zubs said:
I gotta admit...

driving by gas stations in my Tesla Y feels good.
You should try it.

Pretty soon, only EV and Tesla will be on the road. And bicycles. :)

...again this only seems to be in small areas...the depth of that bench in really in question...

EVs still account for less than one percent of the 276 million registered vehicles in the U.S. Of all the EVs on U.S. roads, about 42 percent of them are in California.

By contrast, states like South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming each have less than 1,000 registered EVs. Furthermore, in 2020, fewer than 300,000 EVs were sold in the U.S.

For comparison, Ford Motor Company sold nearly 800,000 F-series pickup trucks last year.

As a result of the ?green? energy fad, blackouts are already fast on the way to becoming the new normal.

If policymakers continue to mandate and subsidize electric vehicles, the U.S. will look like a third-world country, with electricity available only episodically and at rates unaffordable for most.

Ready2Downsize said:
OCtoSV said:
daedalus said:
morekaos said:

$10/gallon gas is going to lead to a recession. Everything that gets shipped will go up, including the food on your plate. The cost for the little guy to drive to the grocery store, their jobs, the doc etc is going to hurt them badly. They will have no choice but to buy less. Amazon free delivery you say? They will just raise their prices too. USPS raising prices in July. Don't think it matters? Lots of stuff goes USPS and prices will rise even for free delivery.

Inflation will rise, people who have jobs will demand more money and there will be lots who lose their jobs.

Been thru oil increases like what $10 per gallon would do to us. Not a good thing. Ask Jimmy Carter about it.

I really hope you and I end up being mocked as Doomers and Gloomers - though my oil stocks will do well

Right before the pandemic in NOV of 2019 I was in ShenZhen.
I hailed a taxi cab and was surprised it was a NIO. 
They were all NIOs!!!

I thought it was pretty cool.

Ready2Downsize said:
OCtoSV said:
daedalus said:
morekaos said:

No real overhead resistance on that chart...

$7 Gas Is Coming and a Poll Shows That Americans Blame Joe Biden for It

Gas prices have been going up since Joe Biden began cutting off energy sources in the name of global warming Leftism on his first day of office. Now, a year later, Bidenflation has taken hold, Russia has attacked Ukraine, and the price of a barrel of oil on Wednesday stood at a gasp-inducing $112/barrel. We?re looking at gas prices close to $7.00/gallon.
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politi...hat-americans-blame-joe-biden-for-it-n1563213

morekaos said:
Compressed-Village said:
zubs said:
I gotta admit...

You should try it.

...again this only seems to be in small areas...the depth of that bench in really in question...

EVs still account for less than one percent of the 276 million registered vehicles in the U.S. Of all the EVs on U.S. roads, about 42 percent of them are in California.

By contrast, states like South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, and Wyoming each have less than 1,000 registered EVs. Furthermore, in 2020, fewer than 300,000 EVs were sold in the U.S.

For comparison, Ford Motor Company sold nearly 800,000 F-series pickup trucks last year.

As a result of the ?green? energy fad, blackouts are already fast on the way to becoming the new normal.

If policymakers continue to mandate and subsidize electric vehicles, the U.S. will look like a third-world country, with electricity available only episodically and at rates unaffordable for most.
soo... your solution is that we should have increase focus on solar and battery storage?

AW said:
morekaos said:
Compressed-Village said:
zubs said:
I gotta admit...

You should try it.

soo... your solution is that we should have increase focus on solar and battery storage?

Drill baby drill!!! Stop all the the subsidies and let the markets figure it out.

OCtoSV said:
Ready2Downsize said:
OCtoSV said:
daedalus said:
morekaos said:

I really hope you and I end up being mocked as Doomers and Gloomers - though my oil stocks will do well

If you are right (even if it's just California), then I'm right too and its the poorest that will be hurt the worst but the rest of us are going to feel it too. Companies are going to lose biz with reduced spending even if they do raise prices, reducing the effect on earnings, their costs are going up in labor and supplies and that means job cuts.

I have my doubts we would reach that because I think demand for gas would drop, reducing the price but u might be right, it's only doubling from here.

Recession is the natural next stop in the business cycle...Fed rate hikes will be steep and the recession will be sharp and painful.  People always demonize recession but they are natural and have a certain cleansing effect on the economy.  Washing out inefficiencies and clearing the way for the next expansion phase.  It's why they call it a cycle...it is coming whether you like it or not.

More drilling and a Trumpian focus on energy self sufficiency is exactly what is needed and hopefully the political winds move in that direction so it's not just fortunate souls like me with good timing that are enjoying low
energy prices

We had it all under control until...
https://youtu.be/2YjnJvIBC-A

U.S. Becomes a Net Oil Exporter for First Time in 75 Years
BY

BLOOMBERG
December 6, 2018 11:35 AM PST

America turned into a net oil exporter last week, breaking 75 years of continued dependence on foreign oil and marking a pivotal ? even if likely brief ? moment toward what U.S. President Donald Trump has branded as ?energy independence.?

The shift to net exports is the dramatic result of an unprecedented boom in American oil production, with thousands of wells pumping from the Permian region of Texas and New Mexico to the Bakken in North Dakota to the Marcellus in Pennsylvania.
https://fortune.com/2018/12/06/oil-exports-us/

morekaos said:
Recession is the natural next stop in the business cycle...Fed rate hikes will be steep and the recession will be sharp and painful.  People always demonize recession but they are natural and have a certain cleansing effect on the economy.  Washing out inefficiencies and clearing the way for the next expansion phase.  It's why they call it a cycle...it is coming whether you like it or not.

Yesterday testimony JPowell, finally admitted, that they should have move much faster last year than sticking with transisitory. I'm never in my wildest dream thought that he would admitted that they are very late and behind the curve.
We have 10-15 % inflation.

Then the next excuse coming from him is because of the war, we will only do 25 base point hike. We need this to go to 6-8 % fed funds rate minimum and they are arguing .25 or .50. It's not even moving the needle. Of course, they do not want to crash everything, so many more excuse will be use from here on out, to keep things as close to zero as zero can be.

Talk irvine thinks inflation just in Us.
Just like they think they have the best education. (not based on test scores or school rankings, but based on courses offered) *subjective

In the new thread you will see and ask why Irvine is not offering these classes for HS. (teaser)

I dont want no agents or any company messaging or dming any nasty messages. Because I will not respond or will do the same.

Back