[IHB] Does the Irvine school system add value to local houses?

irvinehomeowner said:
@Homer:

I'm going against the grain... I'm telling my son: Actor or NBA Player

They make way more than doctors or engineers.

You should definitely look into moving to Ainsley Park, it feeds into Woodbridge which is known for their Athletic Programs; however, Uni does have a great Drama program.. Tough decisions IHO  ;)

Pat Star said:
Irvinecommuter said:
I think Korean girls are the CPAs :)

Every October 1st or so there is a local broadcast message sent out to all LA/OC employees at my Big 4 Firm.  On it are headshots and a short bio of all the new fall campus hires.  Often, there are 100 or more faces on that email once you factor Audit, Tax, and Advisory services.  In a sea of crappy messages that clog my inbox, that fall hire memo is one I always look forward to reading.

Why do they include headshots? (I'm picturing CPAs all dolled up 1990s Glamour Shots style.)

irvinehomeowner said:
jumpcut said:
I thought Asians were supposed to be good at math...
Stereotype alert!

Nice to see you a K-Jack from you jumpcut.

Ain't nothing wrong with people think you smart!  Except when you are terribad at math as an asian, for then you are SHAME!!!

rkp said:
why oh why does every thread get jacked by asian girls dancing?

Is there anything wrong with this?  ;)

My favorite After School/Son Dambi performance

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-S8xxsWlVY[/youtube]

Hahaha. Sometimes i wonder if you are adobted Patstar? Are you sure you are not born from a Korean family?

You are more Korean than I am. :)

Pat Star said:
Irvinecommuter said:
jumpcut said:
Irvinecommuter said:
My favorite After School/Son Dambi performance

This is my favorite Dam Bi Sohn performance...

She is by far my favorite Kpop star...

All you need is a little Charm to hang out with Son Dam Bi:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIHwxMm_8vA[/youtube]

I?m way late to this party?it?s already disintegrated into Korean pop.
:mad:
SoCal78, my older son went to Big Bear, and my younger son just went to CIMI (Catalina)?and I feel incredibly fortunate, given what is probably in store for the ?future? 6th graders. Already, both of my kids got to experience the 20-1 ratio of K-3, which is gone now.

IndyDev, you would have earned some brownie points had you admitted your division mistake with more (any) humility. Where did you go to school? I went to Cal Poly SLO, and then USC for graduate school. I?m very impressed when someone makes a mistake (we all do) and then takes responsibility immediately. I relied on a decision by a doctor at CHOC once who had admitted a mistake a day earlier, precisely because he had admitted to a mistake.  ;)

I?ve been a judge several times at the county level National History Day. I?ve seen the Sage kids come in and smugly put on a banal presentation and then wonder why they didn?t make it through. I?ve also seen Uni and Woodbridge groups come in sweating and put on amazing stuff. The sheer work that the kids were willing to put in was impressive. Generalizing, I know, but true in the cases that I?ve seen.

Yes you are late, but it's not too too late to rehash this argument.

I'm not saying Cal Poly SLO is not a good school, it's just generally looked upon as a mid-tier school that many students pick as a 2nd or 3rd backup (if at all). It's not generally known for interesting research, an active alumni network, or anything special in reality. I'm glad you got accepted there but keep in mind, it's not a very well known school even inside California.

I did make a mistake dividing by the total school population, instead of the class size, I didn't really look at the numbers carefully because my overall point wasn't to show that Uni High students don't get into good schools, but that the majority of acceptances are to mid to lower tier schools. When a school is so highly lauded, you really have to research where these students are actually accepted to, and when around 70% of the acceptances are to somewhat mid-tier to lower tier schools, it makes you wonder if the premium is worth it.

I was reading the New Homes section in the OCReg this morning and I was wondering about that $1mil someone would spend on a new home.

Which one of these places do you spend it?

Vista Vallarta at Glenwood in Aliso Viejo (which Indie says has the same qualities of Irvine)
The Villas at Pacific Shores in Huntington Beach (a beach city... don't know about the views)
Cortona/Toscana at Laguna Altura in Irvine

If you're a family looking for "good schools"... isn't one choice obvious?

But I said "new" home.

And quite honestly, I don't think everyone who buys in Irvine is under the impression that means automatic acceptance into an Ivy League. I think most just want their kids to get a safe, good education and be able to choose from a large selection of colleges.

While you may think UCs are mid or lower tier schools... that's acceptable to many (I think quality doctors and lawyers come out of UCLA and UCI).

Back