[IHB] Does the Irvine school system add value to local houses?

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Just a side note Brian's mom goes to Berkeley bi-monthly to do his laundry and cook 2 weeks of food to store in tupperwares.
Wow, I wish I had a mom like that.  And I was much closer over in Westwood too.  Can you believe my mom made me do my own laundry, make my own bed, and help her clean the house every other week???  THE HORROR!!!

How sad! You had to do your own laundry? Brian's friends all have maids so they could focus on academic.

What happens when mom isnt around to do laundry like post graduation? or is he expected to go to med or law school (and take mom in his backpack)?  or is he taught that is what a wife is for?

seriously though, what is the reason for choosing Cal?  not saying its a bad decision just curious as to why.  I'm guessing it is not to save money.

i'm more curious as to what his weekends were like in high school? was it all work no play?  any sports?

don't take these the wrong way.  I'm seriously asking, not trying to poke fun or anything.

Just catching up on this thread. How exciting to have people going back and forth in an interesting debate...just like the old days!

Anyway, this is from a few pages back in the thread, but I don't think it makes much of a difference where your kid goes to high school when it comes to Ivy League admissions. I think it's actually better to be a higher-ranked student in a less-prestigious high school, rather than be lost in a sea of geniuses. Why compete with all the crazy-smart Asians being pushed by their parents, when you can compete against more mediocre white students?

Actually, the VERY best strategy to get into the Ivy League is to go to a lousy high school in a gang-ridden area, be valedictorian, and be economically disadvantaged so you can write your admissions essay about your deprived childhood. At least then you can offer the school some kind of diversity and they can feel good about admitting you.

Personally, though, I think Ivy League striving is ridiculous. I don't want to send my child to college a zillion miles away to some stuffy, expensive college (although if that is what he wants, I'll try to be supportive).

irvinehomeshopper said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
Just a side note Brian's mom goes to Berkeley bi-monthly to do his laundry and cook 2 weeks of food to store in tupperwares.
Wow, I wish I had a mom like that.  And I was much closer over in Westwood too.  Can you believe my mom made me do my own laundry, make my own bed, and help her clean the house every other week???  THE HORROR!!!

How sad! You had to do your own laundry? Brian's friends all have maids so they could focus on academic.
Yeah, could you believe that?  I still live with the pain to this day.  haha 

Well If my kid ends up at UCI instead of FullertonCC because of iusd, I'd be happy that he's second tier and glad I paid.

Pat Star said:
Read my posts again, nowhere did I say people were wrong for whatever reasons they wanted to live in Irvine.
You should read my post... I didn't say you said people were wrong. What I did say is people don't choose Irvine JUST for the schools.
But to say it is because the "schools are better" is a stupid reason, because the schools are not better.  All public schools in California are more or less created equal. 
I disagree with you. Each school is different based on demographics, students, teachers, parents involvement (both time and money), district support and city support. Even USC recognizes the "rich uncle" and he doesn't even have kids.
Seriously, the "good schools" argument is not unique to Irvine, or California, or even the US.  That is a buzz word used for schools in affluent areas everywhere. 
Affluence may be a factor... but there are schools in less affluent areas that are excellent in regards to instruction, involvement and even *gasp* API scores.
Everyone knows what that means. That's not a dig at Irvine per se, that's just the way it is.  The only reason I felt compelled to post it here was the idiotic arguing back and forth about who had the better public school. That's a nonstarter as far as I am concerned.  If anybody wants to pay the premium for Irvine, go for it --- just know that a public school should not be considered a something to pay for. If you are paying the premium because that school has high test scores, you are more likely paying for the demographics of that school.
But that's an issue that you can't really prove or disprove. I've been in Irvine much longer than you... and the school system, as far as I know, has always been excellent... even BEFORE the influx of the demographics you are talking about. So what came first? The chicken or the egg? Did the good schools attract the "affluence" or did the "affluence" make the schools good?
And yes, I paid a premium over surrounding areas for my community for many of the same reasons.  Just not that big a premium as demanded by TIC. 
But still a premium. So despite what Indie thinks, people do pay more for "good schools". Sounds like you're agreeing more than disagreeing.

irvinehomeshopper said:
My nephew Brian C. was UNI class of 2010. He currently attends Cal Berkeley. The college bound acceptance was a voluntary information the students provided to the school. In his case he was accepted to Cornell. Berkeley and USC.  All three schools were reported and registered on the UNI High acceptance tally. UNI has a honor system and students should have reported the truthful information.

The UNI report has a skew for the Ivy statistics because the same group of outstanding scholars accepted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Oxford were also accepted to the second tier Ivies as well. numerous Ivy acceptance were the result of the same applicants. The list only reflects the total successful acceptances and not one acceptance per student but rather based on the entire senior class.

UNI has no method of tracking the final campus destination for each students when some late acceptance letters arrive later than June and students had yet to ponder the numerous choices during the summer.

UNI High is an outstanding school. The credits go to the teachers, students and most importantly parents like Brian's mom. She quit her job since Brian started 6th grade to nurture her son to be the very best.  She enrolled him in year round tutoring and SAT prep courses outside of the school. Each summer a good budget was set aside for him to travel internationally to perform voluntary work in order to enhance his college resume. The competitive nature of the school many parents must be involved to insure their children keep up with the class. Some hired professional in house academic trainers year round.

Parents short in cash should seriously consider your budget in addition to your mortgage, MR, HOA and Property tax. Academic coaches demand 15hr/wk at $75/hr. For those without coaching will not be able to compete in class for the best grades. The UNI High student scholars are like the Chinese and Russian Gymnasts trained to humiliate those who are less than perfect.

(revised to delete Brian's last name)

Irvinehomeshopper, I just can't shake the feeling that I know you from somewhere. Perhaps we've met? Something about you is just so familiar...

BTW: Some of those anecdotes about Uni high make me NOT want to send my kids there... but I really want them to get into a low to mid-tier college.  :-X

26inirvine said:
What happens when mom isnt around to do laundry like post graduation? or is he expected to go to med or law school (and take mom in his backpack)?  or is he taught that is what a wife is for?

seriously though, what is the reason for choosing Cal?  not saying its a bad decision just curious as to why.  I'm guessing it is not to save money.

i'm more curious as to what his weekends were like in high school? was it all work no play?  any sports?

don't take these the wrong way.  I'm seriously asking, not trying to poke fun or anything.

Oh No! Brian had a professional tennis coach from Beverly Hills, Polo and Golf trainers from Palm Desert and a quarterly family trip to many tropical islands. His family moves to Irvine so he can develop good taste, learn rich people's expensive sport, be a good student, and make a lot of money in the future.

traceimage said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
My nephew Brian C. was UNI class of 2010. He currently attends Cal Berkeley. The college bound acceptance was a voluntary information the students provided to the school. In his case he was accepted to Cornell. Berkeley and USC.  All three schools were reported and registered on the UNI High acceptance tally. UNI has a honor system and students should have reported the truthful information.

The UNI report has a skew for the Ivy statistics because the same group of outstanding scholars accepted to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Oxford were also accepted to the second tier Ivies as well. numerous Ivy acceptance were the result of the same applicants. The list only reflects the total successful acceptances and not one acceptance per student but rather based on the entire senior class.

UNI has no method of tracking the final campus destination for each students when some late acceptance letters arrive later than June and students had yet to ponder the numerous choices during the summer.

UNI High is an outstanding school. The credits go to the teachers, students and most importantly parents like Brian's mom. She quit her job since Brian started 6th grade to nurture her son to be the very best.  She enrolled him in year round tutoring and SAT prep courses outside of the school. Each summer a good budget was set aside for him to travel internationally to perform voluntary work in order to enhance his college resume. The competitive nature of the school many parents must be involved to insure their children keep up with the class. Some hired professional in house academic trainers year round.

Parents short in cash should seriously consider your budget in addition to your mortgage, MR, HOA and Property tax. Academic coaches demand 15hr/wk at $75/hr. For those without coaching will not be able to compete in class for the best grades. The UNI High student scholars are like the Chinese and Russian Gymnasts trained to humiliate those who are less than perfect.

Irvinehomeshopper, I just can't shake the feeling that I know you from somewhere. Perhaps we've met? Something about you is just so familiar...

Did we party together in Irvine in the early 2000s? Is that it? Hmm...it'll come to me...

traceimage said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

I think I spoke to you at the Santa Maria grand opening. We had a conversation about Turtle Rock and my nephew's good school. Are you little Bobby's dad?

Pat Star said:
Talk like that won't win you too many friends at your 1st grade back to school night, IHO.
Heh... not too many people try to talk to me at those things anyways. I need to work on my "friendly" face.

IndieDev said:
Only IHO could paint an IUSD $40,000,000 budget deficit in a good light. Further proof that TIC marketing is legit baby.
And only Indie can miss the forest for the trees.

EVERY school district has budget deficits, some just cut teachers and/or programs and say "tough" to the kids/parents. IUSD, however, has an organization, a community and a number of businesses that will help make up the difference so that the quality of education remains as close as possible to its current standards.

I've mentioned this before but does anyone remember Measure A a few years back? The City of Irvine was trying to pass a tax on homeowners to make up for budget cuts that would result in teachers losing their jobs. Teachers were even campaigning for it saying they already got their pink slips and if it doesn't pass they are done.

Well... although it's nice to think that Irvine was trying to "save our schools" by taxing us... I don't really agree with it. Not only because I'm not a fan of taxation but also because I know how inefficient governments are and I'm sure that only cents of each tax dollar would actually make it the IUSD. Seems I wasn't the only one because Measure A did not pass. But guess what... TIC, Broadcom and bunch of other individuals and companies donated money to make up for the deficit and the teachers and schools were "saved". That, if anything, illustrates a difference that Irvine has compared to other cities.

And yeah... we have more furlough days... but would you rather have that or fire some teachers? Or lose some programs? No school district is perfect... but overall, IUSD and Irvine organizations/businesses/parents make it work.

I never took IHO for a faux bleeding heart liberal, but now I'm convinced. Either that or TIC has really zombified his brain.

IndieDev said:
I never took IHO for a faux bleeding heart liberal, but now I'm convinced. Either that or TIC has really zombified his brain.
Of course, when you can't support your opinions, you go for the insults. Aren't you supposed to be smarter than that?

And again, why do you still live in Irvine? Do you send your kids to the schools here? Walk the walk.

irvinehomeshopper said:

After all this he only went to Berkeley? I though if you are in Uni High you are automatically admitted to Cal. (Sarcasm) :p

My cousins went to Harvard, Stanford, Cal Tech, Brown, Princeton and Michigan... they never went to tutoring and SAT prep courses outside of the school. And they never had personal academic tutor at home... Yeah some of them went to private schools but...

I know Berkeley is a great school and I might sound ignorant but all my cousins got admissions and saw it as a backup... I don't know. Maybe tide has changed since we went to college about 10 years ago...

And yeah I went to one of the ordinary UC and got a master degree. I think I did ok but my mom is still bxtching about my academic performance. Talking about Asian moms...

MonsterMom said:
And yeah I went to one of the ordinary UC and got a master degree. I think I did ok but my mom is still bxtching about my academic performance. Talking about Asian moms...

I always overuse this picture but I think it's so true.

56-high-expectations-asian-father-son-you-can-be-anything-you-want-doctor-or-engineer.jpg

Back