If you had your pick of any area in Irvine

If I was actually picking an area, it would be Woodbridge, followed up by Westpark.  I personally think of all the flat areas, those have the best location in terms of being extremely central (and closer to the 405).  I base this largely on where I work. Turtle Rock would rank slightly ahead of the others, but options but all things equal, I wouldn't personally pay the premium for the hood.

One issue with all three of this areas is I'd have to remodel / rebuild the house cause I hate most of the floorplans. 

After living in Woodbridge and then not living in Woodbridge, I would choose Woodbridge as one of my top picks.

For me, Quail Hill has the edge over TRock because it's newer and TRock is such an uphill drive to do daily. But TRock has those wonderful 3CWGs.

I'm not a fan of TRidge. And despite the redic prices, I still think LagAlt is bleh.

The one thing about Woodbridge vs the elevated homes is that depending on where you live, the schools are walkable from K-12.

So after reading everyone's responses, it's basically anywhere in Irvine = win!
(That is until having enough to buy in Newport)

AW said:
I actually thought I wanted to live in Newport.

And although I love the ocean, I prefer the centrality of Irvine.

When I'm retired maybe I'll end up on the beach.

AW said:
I actually don't have much interest in living in Newport and outside of just having absurd money (as in, I win the lotto) with a house overlooking the water (and a nice one at that), I'd much rather live in Irvine. I prefer the centrality to it and think its a better place to raise a family.  Basically put, for the money, I don't justify in most of Newport over Irvine (and their are a lot of crappy places in newport that don't have a view and sell for more then what I already find steep Irvine prices). 

Depends on where you need to go in Irvine regularly. The woodbridge/westpark area is very central.

Maybe Columbus Grove for a discount if you don't care about IUSD

AW said:

Not everyone who can afford Newport wants to live in Newport.  We can afford it, almost bought there, and in the end decided not to in order to avoid  what we perceived to be certain social environments/pressures. Also, Irvine is more practical from a daily living standpoint for a family with kids.

Anecdotally, I was at one of the Orchard Hills sales offices, and this white family came in to look at the houses. In passing, I heard the father tell the agent that they used to live in Tustin Ranch, had moved to Newport a few years ago, and now were looking to move back to the Beckman High school zone, because they didn't like the social environment in Newport for their kids. Their teenage daughter piped up "Yeah, all the girls at CDM are really really mean". They looked like totally normal people too, not socially awkward/misfit types.

Pretty broad strokes here for Newport.  It's not all created the same is it?  I've heard different vibes depending on where you are?

paperboyNC said:
Depends on where you need to go in Irvine regularly. The woodbridge/westpark area is very central.

Or do the inverse and buy in tustin at a discount but go to IUSD (forget if that is columbus square or what it is called). 

irvinehomeowner said:
After living in Woodbridge and then not living in Woodbridge, I would choose Woodbridge as one of my top picks.

For me, Quail Hill has the edge over TRock because it's newer and TRock is such an uphill drive to do daily. But TRock has those wonderful 3CWGs.

I'm not a fan of TRidge. And despite the redic prices, I still think LagAlt is bleh.

The one thing about Woodbridge vs the elevated homes is that depending on where you live, the schools are walkable from K-12.

I actually really like Woodbridge too. Maybe one day when I have the patience for a major reno. What's the plume spin these days?

I also really like certain areas of northwood pointe.

But then I've only ever bought new construction so I guess new home smell trumps all.

Edit: not sure if this is new news or not but I heard thru the grapevine that Woodbridge center will remain.

paperboyNC said:

Columbus Grove (even the Tustin part of it) is all IUSD.

However, the Irvine part of Columbus Grove got the advantage of lower Mellos Roos due to the city of Irvine refinancing them in 2013 without extending the expiration.

Bullsback said:
paperboyNC said:

Or do the inverse and buy in tustin at a discount but go to IUSD (forget if that is columbus square or what it is called).

Tustin Field I and Tustin Field II are IUSD. Columbus Square is TUSD.

bones said:
irvinehomeowner said:

I actually really like Woodbridge too. Maybe one day when I have the patience for a major reno. What's the plume spin these days?

I also really like certain areas of northwood pointe.

But then I've only ever bought new construction so I guess new home smell trumps all.

Edit: not sure if this is new news or not but I heard thru the grapevine that Woodbridge center will remain.

Agreed. Woodbridge would probably top the list, but only if I had a significant reno budget (20% of price?) and I could find a house without too hideous an exterior.

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen a really nice Woodbridge home that was renovated back on the market (or even Turtle Rock). Would be curious to see what they look like as I always like to see different ideas of how people have renovated (since taking down walls is not my expertise). I'm good when it comes to flooring and the basics. 

Bullsback said:
Out of curiosity, has anyone seen a really nice Woodbridge home that was renovated back on the market (or even Turtle Rock). Would be curious to see what they look like as I always like to see different ideas of how people have renovated (since taking down walls is not my expertise). I'm good when it comes to flooring and the basics. 
Woodbridge (I only picked 3CWGs):

Not full upgrade but updated:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/26-Foxboro-92614/home/4697482

Not my style and a little over the top:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/75-Limewood-92614/home/4697560

These were the newer StanPac homes built in North Lake in the late 90s:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/125-Nighthawk-92604/home/4687635

This was an interesting modern upgrade but they didn't do the whole house:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/16-Mandarin-92604/home/4687516

Here is one that's for sale but not a 3CWG:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/89-Summerstone-92614/home/4694191

Turtle Rock is a bit harder because there is so much to look through but here is a 3CWG that is for sale:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3-Centaurus-92603/unit-11/home/5710608

Back