ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
Like I said, Toyota is smart about this and has only stuck its toe in for now…

“The Japanese automaker has been notoriously slow in transitioning to fully electric vehicles. As of right now, Toyota only offers two EVs in the US: the bZ4X and Lexus RZ. And that’s it for at least another two years.”

For the all in crowd the pain is ongoing…

• Tesla — Shares of the electric vehicle maker were down more than 2% after a Deutsche Bank downgrade to hold from buy. “The delay of Model 2 efforts creates the risk of no new vehicle in Tesla’s consumer lineup for the foreseeable future, which would put continued downward pressure on its volume and pricing for many more years,” the bank said.

The whole market is a slow motion avalanche…Even China is suffering but they will prop up the industry and lie to save face and gain market share…😂😂😂🦄🌈

Ports Are Filling With Unsold Cars, Mostly From China

We’ve all heard the stories recently about electric vehicles sales falling short of expectations. Companies like Tesla have seen sales slow in recent years and automakers such as Ford have even slowed production of their own electric models. Now, we’re seeing what’s happening to the unsold cars that are out in the world already: they’re piling up at ports.

Across shipping hubs in Europe, unsold electric cars are filling storage spaces, with some automakers even looking to rent extra warehousing space to keep their shiny new cars shiny and new, reports Automotive News. As the site explains:

Several automakers have leased large areas in the ports for vehicle imports that so far have no customers for the cars. Logistics companies are also renting additional parking spaces outside the ports.

“This situation currently affects all European ports where large quantities of vehicles arrive,” Gert Ickx, spokesman for the administration of the Belgian ports of Antwerp and Zeebrugge, told Automotive News Europe sister publication Automobilwoche.

The issue has been exacerbated by the rise in exports of Chinese electric vehicles, which are sitting in shipping hubs unsold while people argue over whether or not they pose a national security threat.

The Chinese EVs being imported into places like Europe have also been hampered by reduction in subsidies for electric car sales. Automotive News reports that a cut in EV subsidies in Germany has hit sales, leaving many cars stuck on docks with nobody to buy them.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/chinese-ev-imports-massing-european-ports-sales-slow

As much as Tesla has done for EV adoption, increased competition and Elon's antics are affecting their market share.

I like their innovation and challenging of the status quo (direct sales, no dealerships) they have fallen behind in innovation (particular physical styling even with the Model 3 update).

Used car prices have also dealt a blow to perceived value as Tesla used to be seen as not only retaining value but also being able to generate profit.

Competition has been creating arguably better options and same or lower pricing makes it even harder to buy Tesla with Musk going a bit bonkers on X.

The CyberTruck is looking more like a vanity project than a functional truck that real truck users will actually buy.

The Model X sold less than the R1S last quarter which demonstrates the importance of functionality. Falcon Wings are cool... but actual 3-row SUV space is better.

There are still many Tesla loyalists who will see my viewpoint as blasphemy but the numbers seem to reflect it.

Their revenue salvation will actually be their SuperCharger network.

As much as Tesla has done for EV adoption, increased competition and Elon's antics are affecting their market share.

I like their innovation and challenging of the status quo (direct sales, no dealerships) they have fallen behind in innovation (particular physical styling even with the Model 3 update).

Used car prices have also dealt a blow to perceived value as Tesla used to be seen as not only retaining value but also being able to generate profit.

Competition has been creating arguably better options and same or lower pricing makes it even harder to buy Tesla with Musk going a bit bonkers on X.

The CyberTruck is looking more like a vanity project than a functional truck that real truck users will actually buy.

The Model X sold less than the R1S last quarter which demonstrates the importance of functionality. Falcon Wings are cool... but actual 3-row SUV space is better.

There are still many Tesla loyalists who will see my viewpoint as blasphemy but the numbers seem to reflect it.

Their revenue salvation will actually be their SuperCharger network.
I tend to agree with everything you said. I’m curious what OCtoSV would say, I believe he is the one said Tesla would never be caught and will leave everyone on their dust.

You continue to look at the wrong side of the equation. Price collapse is not supply driven from increase competition. Price collapse is demand driven from lack of adoption….just like I said it would be…doomed!!😂😂😂🦄🌈

You continue to look at the wrong side of the equation. Price collapse is not supply driven from increase competition. Price collapse is demand driven from lack of adoption….just like I said it would be…doomed!!😂😂😂🦄🌈
You don't even know the numbers to back this up.

Adoption is still increasing, but choice has increased also so Tesla (or Ford or GM) is not the only game in town. This is why Kia/Hyundai are continuing forward where others have pulled back.

And with ALL vehicles suffering in demand (used pricing has tanked for both ICE and EV), price sensitivity is a key factor which is why Tesla has had to drop prices across their entire line (yes... even the $100k ones :) ) and that's also why the OEMs are pivoting to lower priced EVs because they realize they can't all live in the premium price levels.

This is good... because it will diversify EV choices and your $100k barrier disappears.

Disaster of our own making…the stupid leading the dumb…but markets always correct to reality….😂😂😂🤦🏽‍♂️🦄🌈
But the EV market has nevertheless become a major disappointment. There is a troubling gap between expectations and reality.

Bloomberg New Energy Finance, for instance, had projected sales of 1.7 million plug-in vehicles in 2023, but only 1.46 million ultimately sold. (BNEF’s figures include plug-in hybrids, but the large majority are fully electric vehicles.) The trend line isn’t slanting upward as sharply as many had predicted so the industry is lowering future estimates.

…They call in “rollover” in my biz…😂😂😂🦄🌈

New U.S. EV Registrations Went Into The Red In February For First Time Since 2020

Take the month of February, the latest for which registration data is available, courtesy of S&P Global Mobility. According to Automotive News, Tesla’s new registrations went down a whopping 25% compared to the same month last year, making the entire EV segment’s new registrations in the U.S. drop 2.8%. The last time this happened was in August 2020, when Tesla’s U.S. registrations fell by 2% and the total new EV registrations dropped by 6%.

As I said.. the shine is off Tesla... and we will see after Q1 revenue reporting.

Other EV makers have done better though... if you look at the math, Tesla registrations dropped by 25% yet total EV registrations only dropped 3%.

that’s the point, Tesla has almost been the whole market, and the others are not taking its place. Adoption has been collapsing, and there’s nothing they can do to stop it.🤷🏽‍♂️😂😂😂🦄🌈

That does not make sense, you are reading your own post wrong.

Your article said Tesla dropped 2% in 2020 and made total registrations drop 6% (I think there is a typo in there somewhere). In February, Tesla dropped 25% but total registrations only dropped 2.8%.

That math means that more people are buying other brands... so others are taking its place... just not to the point where it's fully replacing it, but more than in 2020.

Your own article even says it:

Without Tesla, the EV sector in the U.S. actually went up a massive 32%.

If Tesla has been the whole market, a 25% drop would be much larger than a 2.8% drop overall.

Reading and math are basic skills bro.

You can’t just not count Tesla when you want to….Tesla has been the whole market and now that its sales are cratering all the volume of new entrants cannot even make up for those losses. In other words, even though others may be selling more the total registrations is still contracting. It’s not good news any way you try put the lipstick on the pig😂😂😂😂🦄🌈

You can’t just not count Tesla when you want to….Tesla has been the whole market and now that its sales are cratering all the volume of new entrants cannot even make up for those losses. In other words, even though others may be selling more the total registrations is still contracting. It’s not good news any way you try put the lipstick on the pig😂😂😂😂🦄🌈
Paging OCtoSV, Paging OCtoSV

Such hypocrisy... this is exactly what you were doing... especially when we were saying that the Model Y was one of the top selling cars in the world... and you were like "How? It's $100k to buy one!".

And I'm not removing Tesla... I'm stating how other EV makers are increasing in demand so it's not all Tesla.

You need to learn objectivity.

By the way... gas is over $7/gallon in some parts of Cali... that's stupid.

What’s stupid is $7 gas is only in California!!!..what does that tell ya?🤦🏽‍♂️ Care to check that list of EV car makers?…half are on their way to the junkyard👎🏽😂😂😂 this whole government subsidized green utopia is in collapse mode. Predictable and predicted…grab your popcorn 🍿 😂😂😂🦄🌈

Back