ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
We ended up getting a largish PHEV SUV for the just in case scenario because we do want to do some road tripping without having to worry about charger planning. It's good for local electric driving but still not as good as a full EV.

At some point in time... we will end up with another EV... non-Tesla probably... but something that supports ultra fast charging (10 to 80% in less than 30 minutes).

Maybe the EV9 but probably won't be good non-inflated prices until next year or 2025.
which SUV? the dealer 'markups' on PHEV SUVs have been infuriating!

EV’s are exceptional at one thing…capital destruction!😆😆😆
I spent way less on my M3 Perf than a 911 would have set me back and my car is faster, quieter and more functional, and if staying within CA never far from a fill up at Elon’s drive in. And 90% of my charging comes from solar and Powerwall, further amortizing the value of my subsidized private home grid. And no maintenance beyond tire rotation, and new tires and brakes. What’s a regular scheduled service at the Porsche dealer run these days - $900? My guess.

I spent way less on my M3 Perf than a 911 would have set me back and my car is faster, quieter and more functional, and if staying within CA never far from a fill up at Elon’s drive in. And 90% of my charging comes from solar and Powerwall, further amortizing the value of my subsidized private home grid. And no maintenance beyond tire rotation, and new tires and brakes. What’s a regular scheduled service at the Porsche dealer run these days - $900? My guess.
... but you are the exception, not the rule. average joe cannot afford what you have done...hence just a toy for the rich.🤷🏽‍♂️😆

... but you are the exception, not the rule. average joe cannot afford what you have done...hence just a toy for the rich.🤷🏽‍♂️😆

EVs have to start somewhere, and if it's from the rich to build out the supercharging network, then so be it.
The EV tech will get cheaper as it matures.

It is being subsidized by government, but so was/is gas and oil.

Government massively subsidized the mortgage markets in the early 2000’s (FNMA, FMAC FHA)….didn’t turn out well for the everyman or the government..🤦🏽‍♂️😆😆😆

We ended up getting a largish PHEV SUV for the just in case scenario because we do want to do some road tripping without having to worry about charger planning. It's good for local electric driving but still not as good as a full EV.

At some point in time... we will end up with another EV... non-Tesla probably... but something that supports ultra fast charging (10 to 80% in less than 30 minutes).

Maybe the EV9 but probably won't be good non-inflated prices until next year or 2025.
PHEV's sounded attractive initially but I think I'd be like most American's and plug it in (as a novelty) for the first few months, then just drive it as Hybrid and forget or be too lazy to plug it in.

Also too many technologies in a PHEV, too many things to go wrong, too much cost after warranty expires. For me I could care less about road trips, may take one every 2-3 years and I can just rent an ICE SUV for that.

PHEV's sounded attractive initially but I think I'd be like most American's and plug it in (as a novelty) for the first few months, then just drive it as Hybrid and forget or be too lazy to plug it in.

Also too many technologies in a PHEV, too many things to go wrong, too much cost after warranty expires. For me I could care less about road trips, may take one every 2-3 years and I can just rent an ICE SUV for that.
You mean someone could be too lazy to plug it in, but not too lazy to drive to a gas station to fill up? For my Prius Prime, I set it to start charging at 9pm. When I get home, I just plug it in. There's no way you can forget that or too lazy to do something that takes 5 seconds to do.

You mean someone could be too lazy to plug it in, but not too lazy to drive to a gas station to fill up? For my Prius Prime, I set it to start charging at 9pm. When I get home, I just plug it in. There's no way you can forget that or too lazy to do something that takes 5 seconds to do.
Not True. People are lazy or forget about all kinds of easy things.
Brushing their teeth
Making their bed
Paying their bills on time
Picking up the mail every day
Taking in the trash cans in
Bagging their dogs crap
Plugging in their PHEV

The list goes on and on...

The reason people can't be too lazy to go to a gas station is because they have to do it, or their car won't run. People don't have to plug in their PHEV's, it's optional.

This isn't our first PHEV rodeo, we had another for 4 years which is how we knew we could go full EV.

We do what Cal does, plug it in when we get home and then the schedule starts charging it at 9p.

But PHEV charging is slow... so we may get L2 installed.

The other reason we got the PHEV is there are not many larger format SUV EVs out and we wanted a vehicle with a taller profile. Once EVs like the R1S, EV9 or others are more available, this is getting turned in. We also don't like the additional maintenance of the ICE components but you have to compromise.

A buddy of mine got an EV6 (Wind?) a while ago and he treats it like an ICE car. Doesn't charge it at home but it has over 300mi range and he gets free charging so when it gets down to 10-20% he just fast charges (says takes almost 20 minutes to 80% and 30 minutes to close to full) and that will last him a few weeks (he just uses it for local commuting).

Makes me want an EV9 even more now. :)

Maybe... but doubt there will be a $40k version.

Had a chance to order a Lightning (they opened up to non reservation holders earlier this month) but I don't think a truck really fits my needs.
I agree, no single motor variant will be offered.

I guestimate $58k for the Dual Motor, and $75k for the Tri Motor. If you order the Lightning, I think you'll cry every time a Cybertruck passes you on the road. I know I would lol.

I don't know... if you're a truck guy... the LIghtning is pretty trucky... and has the frunk which makes it much more utilitarian.

I think if R1Ts start in the 70s and the XLT trim Lightning is in the $60s... the CT will probably start in the $60s too.

At first I think the CT will be cool but once everyone gets them... it becomes whatever... just like Model 3s/Ys now in Irvine (stop at a light and count the Teslas!).

I don't know... if you're a truck guy... the LIghtning is pretty trucky... and has the frunk which makes it much more utilitarian.

I think if R1Ts start in the 70s and the XLT trim Lightning is in the $60s... the CT will probably start in the $60s too.

At first I think the CT will be cool but once everyone gets them... it becomes whatever... just like Model 3s/Ys now in Irvine (stop at a light and count the Teslas!).
Not a truck guy for sure, I think Rivian's are fugly and never like Ford's/Chevy's/Dodges.

Cool factor for CT is definitely to cruise around Irvine in Q1 2024. 6 months later yes, they will be everywhere.

Poor morekaos... the unicorns keep coming:

The Model Y has dethroned the Toyota Corolla as the world’s best-selling car in Q1 and looks like it may well maintain this position for the full year.

JATO Dynamics analyst Felipe Munoz compiled the data for Motor1, showing that the Model Y had 267,200 sales in Q1, according to data from 53 markets and projections/estimates for the rest of the world. This put it ahead of the Corolla at 256,400 sales for the same period and significantly ahead of the other top-five cars, the Hilux, RAV4, and Camry, all from Toyota.

Pretty good for a "$100k Tesla" right morekaos?

Back