ICE or EV?

Which car(s) will you be buying next?

• ICE ICE Baby (morekaos dinosaur option)

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • EV forEVa (unicorns for all)

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • PHEV (I still have range anxiety)

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Hybrid (can't plug in yet)

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Alternative fuel (Hydrogen, vegetable oil, etc)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Why go halfway unless you really need that over 300 mile range regularly?

The problem with PHEVs and hybrids is you still have to deal with the issues of an ICE engine.

EVs are not just about climate or green signaling... less maintenance and pollution (noise and home) are valuable.
I think it's just range anxiety. Personally, I do prefer EV over PHEV because, like you said, less maintenance and pollution. I really don't like the feel when the battery runs out on my Prius Prime. It's so much nicer to drive it when it's in EV mode.

Hybrid cars have better gas mileage but is often offset by smaller gas tank. On the Toyota Camry, 16.8 ICE vs 13.2 hybrid gallon tank.

Range anxiety will go away but not quickly.

Will require faster charge times and better charging network at minimum, current ranges around 300m are enough (I can posit that a daily driver could even be 100m) but eventually we will see 500m+ batteries.

I get it... we did a PHEV first because of range anxiety, then went EV and realized it was fine... but then my wife still wanted a PHEV but she complains about it when it goes into gas mode like Calbears mentioned. So owning PHEVs and EVs (and ICE) concurrently really has me favoring EVs. In fact, I have to do an oil change (which I don't think is needed considering the mileage) for our PHEV shortly.

Yep... Toyota is doing it right alright:

Somebody gonna get a hurt real bad.
Absolutly!! they know exactly what they are doin!👍🏽😂😂😂🐬🌈

In May 2024 alone, Toyota once again earned the crown as the worst automaker in global climate lobbying, solidifying its spot as a bottomfeeder in InfluenceMap’s annual climate policy engagement rankings.

Now that is how to deal with a collapsing market…👍🏽😂😂😂🦄🌈

1,000 workers at one car factory in China were told to either quit or sit around on minimum wage until the market picks up again

Li Auto workers are facing layoffs or minimum wage due to weak electric vehicle sales.
  • China's auto sector is struggling with overproduction, impacting domestic and international markets.
  • Western concerns over subsidies and overcapacity add pressure as Chinese EV makers seek new markets.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...31&cvid=f64cf25c209140a7997028e83f3a892f&ei=9

Ford has been jerked back to reality by…economics…🤦🏽‍♂️😂😂😂🦄🌈

Ford ends EV dealership program that required hefty investment to sell electric models

· Ford Motor is ending a controversial electric vehicle dealership program that initially asked store owners to invest upward of $1 million to sell EVs.

· The “EV-certified” program was announced in September 2022 by Ford CEO Jim Farley in response to high demand for the vehicles.

· Amid slower-than-expected demand, Ford will open EV sales to all of its dealers.

“The world has changed,” Marin Gjaja, chief operating officer of Ford’s Model E electric vehicle business, said Thursday during a media briefing. “The growth has slowed down.”Gjaja said the Model e Dealership Program, which included about half of Ford’s 2,800 U.S. dealers, “is being sunset” as the market undergoes changing conditions and amid conversations with dealers. The company had faced lawsuits from dealers over the program. Instead, Ford will open EV sales to all of its dealers in an attempt to grow sales of its all-electric cars and trucks.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/06/13/ford-ends-ev-dealership-program.html

Wrong again, this is an admission that EV vehicle sales have collapsed, and they cannot force their dealers to pay extra to try and sell something that isn’t selling.

Like the Trabant, Yugo, Smart Car, and the Adobe ;), you've got to wonder what the crash test data looks like. It's reasonable to imagine adding another 5k to these prices just to get the vehicle certified as meeting US standards. Still, that's a heckuva price point.

Assuming a $15-$20k price point, would you think the Federal $7,500 tax credit would apply?

Viktor Orbán is probably breaking out the champagne in Budapest.

BYD's profit margin in EU is 45% higher than China, but with the latest tariffs they will be paying existing 10% + additional 17.4% = 27.4% that will eat into profits. EU accounts for 38% of China's EV exports so BYD cannot afford to lose the market. To get around the tariffs BYD need to produce their vehicles locally and will setup shop in Szeged, Hungary.

European car makers have lagged behind Tesla and BYD in EV tech and through import tariffs, they will force BYD and other China auto makers to setup shop in EU with tech transfers. This include auto parts like EV batteries and, where is CATL setting up another battery factory... in Debrecen, Hungary.

As for Berkshire Hathaway... Charlie Munger paid about $1/share for BYD stocks in 2008? Buffett is happily cashing out at $60/share.

Time to load up more BRK-B.

Last edited:
Back