IAC Renters. Check the prices before you renew your Lease.

<p>Crawl back to the IAC? I've been renting from the IAC for six years already. </p>

<p>Special treatment? I was suggesting at ways they can improve, should they believe in change, progress and improvement. Since they're a large corporation, they don't. I could have sounded condesending, but it was mostly sarcasm. Renter appreciation day was also to show your IAC pride and that you're a proud IAC renter, to bring the commnunity together. "Get back at the IAC" meant to take advantage of all those cookies and coffee they have in the leasing office. </p>

<p>I've always accepted the below par service from the IAC people esp b/c of lack of consistency demonstrated over the years, however commended them on their properties and ammenities. </p>

<p><em>What a thankless job that was...You have no idea what a leasing consultant goes through. </em>So I never like to play the Victim game.. but if it was a thankless job, shouldn't the employee management do something about it? Large corporation takes care of their people? Training, increase in pay? </p>

<p><em> The rules are in place for a reason. You think the communities are bad now, imagine if the rules lessened. </em>Didn't say anything about the rules.. </p>

<p><em>You might shrug off the insistence of the leasing agent to have all people present to sign the lease and not give out keys but it is a necessity for this reason, every single time I let someone slack on that I had an incomplete lease. After they were allowed to have keys and move in, forget it, I was never getting a signature on that lease. </em>I'd rather have IAC be strict beyond means with the policy, as opposed to inconsistent policies. Atleast I know what to expect. Various "move-in" times i was out of state, and things were OKAY. If I knew the rule was strictly you have to be there, I would be there. If the IAC people DECIDE to let things slide, they're also taking a risk.... If the rules were stricter, maybe it'll filter out those potential "bad tenants" </p>

<p>

self-entitled arrogance? (again sarcasm)

pretentious uci student?

rich dad poor dad investor?

santa monica?

four roommates?

MMPORG? </p>

<p>What do all those mean?

</p>

I rent for $2400 in Newport Bluffs, and I see at least 4 vacant units in my floor, but none of them is showing up in the Irvine Company Rental-Living website (under any floor plan).

They listed only a couple of units from another building with even higher prices than 6 month ago.

I wonder why they do that, while I clearly see the vacancy rate is VERY high (basically 50% of the floor is vacant).

Weird, but I am sure they do not want to list 20+ vacant units on their website.

Is this a treasure-hunt tactic? Not to list all vacant units (one unit is vacant for more than 3 months now).

Yup, you are not the first one that says this, somebody else made the same observation here before, he speculated that probably there was a "limit" in the number of available units shown in their website for unknown reasons.

Anteater,

So now my points are not valid. You struck a chord there with me. It was a thankless job and it wasn't because of IAC. They were a good company to work for. The renters is what made it thankless. As for the "rules" there are always exceptions but the problem was every resident had their own interpretation and yes, everyone had a sense of entitlement. I've been a renter forever and my short time there realy gave me some perspective on just how absurd people are when it comes to their "personal" space. Yes, I have my own sense of entitlement when it comes to my residence and "personal" space but I am much more understanding of just how difficult it is to juggle hundreds if not thousands of residents and their fantasy worlds. No amount of training or pay could change that. I have a lot of respect for anyone who can make a career out of property management.

One more comment Anteater,

I don't know about your community but most do renter appreciation days. We did one about once a month. We would buy all sorts of good eats and place an invite on every single door in the community to come in, usually on a Saturday morning. We'd usually get about 10 to 15 people out of at least 1000 residents. We kept doing them but clearly nobody cared. Most residents lived in their own little fantasy world and could care less for socializing. It was really frustrating to see just how self important everyone was. It was actually quite rediculous. We attempted to do a lot of other social type activities, always with little or no interest. I lived in the community I worked in and I rarely saw anyone, other than to field daily complaints and resident issues that were really non-issues. My time there was certainly a lesson in human behavior, at least self indulgent privileged American behavior.

gec - there were a lot of reasons other than "living in a fantasy world" and "caring less for socializing" that kept people away from your social hours. You are projecting your own narrow world view on other people. We all do it, more or less. What seems so obvious to me, so fundamentally a part of my world view, is totally foreign to my neighbor, or to you.

Let me name just a few reasons people didn't show up to your party: they were working; they were sleeping; they were elbow-deep in diapers and Cheerios; they were working out; they wanted to go but their kid didn't want to so they couldn't go and leave the kid alone at home; they wanted to go but had no one to go with and were afraid of looking foolish; they were dieting and didn't want to be exposed to yummy temptations; they were shuttling their elderly neighbor to the store; they were volunteering at the animal shelter.

Self-important? No - just living their lives.

By the way, I have been an IAC renter for two years and I am, in fact, the perfect renter. I signed up for auto-pay so my rent is always on time. I am friendly when I go in to the office and I always thank whoever helped me. I take good care of my home and I feel no "entitlement" or misplaced sense of superiority. My neighbors and I get along great and we enjoy using the pool most weekends. I don't take advantage of the social offerings provided because they either conflict with my work schedule, or are beyond my son's age level, or are adult-only and I cannot leave my son alone.

We're not all evil monsters out to ruin your day, you know.

@Rocker: I mentioned this in another thread, but yea, they max out the rental-living website to show only 5 units. Someone at a IAC place looked up a floorplan and they had more than 5 available, but the website only shows 5. She didn't even know they did this, but I assume it's done so you think there's only a few left (this was in woodbury). Again, who wants to rent in a place with lots and lots of vacancies... *ahem* parkwest *ahem*. That complex posts on craigslist ALL the time and have you looked at the ratings (<a href="http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/CA-Irvine-Park-West-Apartments.html">http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/CA-Irvine-Park-West-Apartments.html</a>) the place? I think they have the lowerst ratings of all IAC places. No wonder they max out at 5 or we would be seeing a whole list of vacancies.

Kudos to you ISM, you indeed sound like a great renter, one of the few. My views are hardly narrow. The only thing I am projecting is actual experiences shared by me and the other staff members at the community I was working at. We happened to be recognized as the community of the year and were widely regarded as having the top staff in the company. Our staff was exceptional when it came to dealing with the constant resident issues, many other communities are not. Perhaps that is what is going on at Anteater's community. I only mentioned the resident events because Anteater suggested that IAC should have them. We did and nobody came. I suppose if we didn't have them we would have been subjected to insults about how we were to corporate to care and that we needed more training. I give. In fact, I gave up. Now I work in the healthcare field, where there are real life and death issues, not imaginary ones. And guess what, it is way more civil and respectful.

Wow - is Jcaraway always this rude or is just me? Jcaraway, you just seem upset all the time throughout the various threads. Just relax a bit. I suggest doing a couple of shots before responding to take away some of your edge. Although drinking may only make your attitude worse.

Most residents lived in their own little fantasy world and could care less for socializing. It was really frustrating to see just how self important everyone was.

jcaraway - I did not miss gec's point at all. I was simply responding directly to this quote, which I believe to be untrue.

Gec--Be happy for the residents who did show up at your events and don't worry so much about the others who didn't. I am sure the people who did participate were grateful for your efforts and had a good time. As someone in customer service, you should be more open to people's diversified needs. Not everyone signs up for an IAC to meet new people. Even in health care you will find that patients and especially their families have their own agendas. They can be quite demanding or even confrontational and you will still need to be professional, open, and thick skinned to a degree. Good luck with your new career.

"I have been an IAC renter for two years and I am, in fact, the perfect renter. I signed up for auto-pay so my rent is always on time. I am friendly when I go in to the office and I always thank whoever helped me. I take good care of my home and I feel no "entitlement" or misplaced sense of superiority. My neighbors and I get along great and we enjoy using the pool most weekends. I don't take advantage of the social offerings provided because they either conflict with my work schedule, or are beyond my son's age level, or are adult-only and I cannot leave my son alone."

By writing an entire paragraph on your personal renting habits, you've crystallized Gec's definition of "frustrating self importance"

<p>jcaraway you have just moved up to the status of troll.</p>

<p>An <strong>Internet troll</strong>, or simply <strong>troll</strong> in <a title="Internet slang" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_slang">Internet slang</a>, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an <a title="Internet forum" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum">online discussion forum</a>, with the intention of <a title="Baiting (Internet)" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baiting_%28Internet%29">baiting</a> other users into an emotional response<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-0"><a title="" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#cite_note-0">[1]</a></sup> or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-1"><a title="" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll#cite_note-1">[2]</a></sup></p>

<p>Congratulations on your well earned title......... </p>

<p>Lets try to get this thread back to topic. So I am stuck at a $45 increase per month with a free carpet cleaning and a new washer and dryer and not sure what else to do to negotiate. Some people like newport surfer in the main blog have mentioned that they were able to get a $0 rent increase. I am 2.3% right now.</p>

<p>Any other ideas? It looks like a few more of my units are becoming available:</p>

<p><a href="http://units.realtydatatrust.com/unitavailability/default.asp?ils=217&fid=28707&cid=123">http://units.realtydatatrust.com/unitavailability/default.asp?ils=217&fid=28707&cid=123</a> </p>

<p>Compared to those rates, I am still getting a deal and none of them seem to be on craigslist.</p>

Thanks IAC renter. I've actually been in healthcare now for nearly 2 1/2 years. It just seems that people in healthcare have a better perspective on what is important. However, I'm not really dealing with their home life, it's only work related. Honestly, I hadn't really thought about how much I disliked leasing for years, until Anteater reminded me why. Also, now that I have the experience I do in healthcare, it is very apparent how rediculous most of the renter behavior was. As I said, it was a real lesson in human behavior, one that I haven't even come to understand fully. What I experienced was real, it was personal, it was deep seeded, and I believe unique to renting. Maybe one of these days I will spend a little more time analyzing it, because up until now I've been trying to forget it.

rkp, i don't think there's anything else you can do besides ask for no increase and failing that, asking for a free rug shampoo. IAC is a corporate entity with thousands of units, if they bend to one renter, FHA laws will probably make them offer the same concession to all other renters.

<p>You all sound like you are getting some decent deals. There is really no secret to getting a better rate, just negotiate, and check craigslist of course. You can always call the leasing office as a prospective renter to find out what the current specials are. In IAC world things change quickly, with budgets being updated every monday. So when they are telling you this may not last, it is true. You may want to consider where your rate is in relation to the current market rent. If you are well below it, expect a decent increase. This often comes back to bite people when they get a smoking deal to move in. Your rent is no doubt going to go up when you renew if your current deal puts you way below the market rent. I suspect that most of the renegotiating that has been done on the renewals is possible only because the market rents are lower now than they were a year ago. </p>

Back