I THINK THE MARKETS HAVE BOTTOMED!!!

Disclaimer: I'm a noob and a nobody. Sorry if this is off-topic. Let me know, and I'll start a new topic if that is appropriate.

All that said, I want to put out a claim that the markets are now at the top!

What do you guys think? Is this 7-month bear rally behavior going to continue heading up? Is it even normal for a bear rally to last this long?

I failed to mention a number with my claim on Friday, 10-09-2009. The DJIA closed at 9864.94.

The DJIA closed at 9885.80 on Monday,10-12-09 so I lose.

Still, I'll be very interested to see where things go from here, especially after the bank earnings come out.

I am game. I think the markets will see a relativly mild retrace (9400-9500) but will eventully pierce the 10,000 mark. I think 11,000 is possible as there would be little overhead resistance after a move over 10,000. Hows that for puttin it out there?

[quote author="WaitingToBuyByAndBy" date=1255486171]I failed to mention a number with my claim on Friday, 10-09-2009. The DJIA closed at 9864.94.

The DJIA closed at 9885.80 on Monday,10-12-09 so I lose.

Still, I'll be very interested to see where things go from here, especially after the bank earnings come out.</blockquote>

If you are within a few hundred points you win.

My guess as to what the equities indexes will do next?

I do not have a clue.

If the market does turn down significantly, I wouldn't expect it to happen until after the 3Q GDP numbers come out. Everyone knows it's going to be green. If it beats 3%, that's going to be another major dose of fuel for the bubble.

If it's under 2%, things might get ugly.

[quote author="Oxtail" date=1255517934]If the market does turn down significantly, I wouldn't expect it to happen until after the 3Q GDP numbers come out. Everyone knows it's going to be green. If it beats 3%, that's going to be another major dose of fuel for the bubble.

If it's under 2%, things might get ugly.</blockquote>
Market is gonna stay strong throughout the rest of 2009. Intel beat earnings and we'll be flying past 1080 tomorrow on the way to 1120 in the S&P 500. The question is will the market have enough juice to get to 1200.

[quote author="morekaos" date=1251330252]Durable Goods Orders

Released on 8/26/2009 8:30:00 AM For July, 2009

Prior Consensus Consensus Range Actual

New Orders - M/M change -2.5 % 2.5 % 0.9 % to 8.0 % 4.9 %

Ex-transportation - M/M 1.1 % 0.8 %

Highlights

Aircraft orders and auto orders made for a surge in the manufacturing sector during July, another key factor suggesting that the recession has already come to an end. New orders for durable goods shot up 4.9 percent. Excluding an 18.4 percent surge in transportation, orders still rose a strong 0.8 percent. Civilian aircraft orders rose more than six fold while motor vehicle orders, likely boosted by cash for clunkers, rose 0.9 percent. Capital goods orders were extremely strong, up 9.5 percent following a 5.7 percent drop in June. The report even includes an upward revision to the prior month's orders, to minus 1.3 percent from minus 2.2 percent. Details include big gains for primary metals, fabricated metals, computers & electronics, communication equipment, and even electrical equipment in a gain that hints at improving construction demand. Machinery orders did fall substantially but couldn't make a dent into the capital goods reading.

Shipments of durable goods also increased, up 2.0 percent in a gain that gets third-quarter output data off to a good start. Despite all the orders and shipments, manufacturers continue to draw down inventories which fell 0.8 percent to extend a long string of declines. Watch for the inventory index in the August ISM manufacturing report which may very well jump given how heavy July's business was. The jump in new orders has yet to move into unfilled orders which dipped 0.1 percent in the month.

The data had no significant impact on the financial markets, in part because a big gain was expected and in part because this report is often very volatile. Also, whether the gain in aircraft orders can be repeated is an open question and a retreat in this category could pull down data for August. Still, the manufacturing sector, the first to dip into recession, appears to be among the first sectors to have emerged from recession.

Tomorrows GDP has a shot at actually being POSITIVE....we shall see</blockquote>

OK, I was off by 2 months. <span style="color: red;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><strong>GDP +3%</strong></span></span>

<a href="http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Stocks-rise-in-early-trading-apf-3807273620.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset;=&ccode;=">Stocks rise sharply in early trading after better-than-expected GDP report</a>

Back