I THINK THE MARKETS HAVE BOTTOMED!!!

[quote author="morekaos" date=1250111718][quote author="Oxtail" date=1250089068]China's stock market down 10% in the last week. You think the people running our own stock market bubble are getting nervous yet?</blockquote>

Nope</blockquote>

Check out the volume on NYSE, It has been steadily going down since March, there are tons of nervous bulls out there. We are due for a 10-15% correction starting probably later this week.

[quote author="morekaos" date=1249345544]I know, I know...most think me crazy when I post a new postion but I am officially going long the dollar again. UUP $23.11.</blockquote>

Good call. 23.61 today.

<a href="http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Banking/HomeFinancing/is-worst-really-over-for-home-prices.aspx">Is the worst really over for home prices?</a>

So, is our long national nightmare over? Has the housing market finally hit bottom?

There has been some muted -- albeit exhausted -- cheering from homeowners in recent weeks. But before we break out the champagne, look out for further potential problems just down the road.

The good news? According to the closely watched Case-Shiller Home Price Index, which tracks home prices across 20 major cities nationwide, the three-year housing slump slowed sharply in April and May.

May's decline was just 0.2%, the slowest in two years. And several cities actually saw prices rise -- among them Denver, Washington, D.C., Chicago, Boston, Cleveland and Dallas.

Even Miami only fell about 1% in May. That's a great month down there. Previously, prices had been falling 3% a month.

We'll get an even better picture of the situation when the Case-Shiller figures for June are released on Aug. 25.

But these data aren't the only hopeful signs.

Inventories of unsold homes have come down. According to the National Association of Realtors, there were about 3.8 million unsold homes on the market at the end of June. That's down a long way from 4.5 million a year ago.

And yes, housing affordability is dramatically better. People, obviously, need to live somewhere. At some point, housing gets cheap enough that the fundamentals start to look good.

The average home is about a third cheaper than it was at the peak three years ago, a plunge unprecedented since the Great Depression. In the hardest-hit places, such as Phoenix, Las Vegas and Miami, average prices have been halved or better from their bubble peaks.

Factor in falling mortgage rates as well, and housing starts to look cheap by many measures. Thirty-year mortgage rates, at around 5.5%, are still low by historic standards. A few months ago, when they fell below 5%, they were very cheap.

There's some other good news for homeowners from the rest of the economy. July's job losses were better than feared: The unemployment rate, which was heading vertical a few months ago, eased to 9.4% last month from 9.5%.

Some are saying the worst is behind us, for the economy and the housing market. No wonder the iShares Dow Jones U.S. Home Construction exchange-traded fund (ITB), which tracks shares of home-building stocks, has bounced sharply since early July.

So, is that it?

Not so fast.

Prices may -- may -- be nearing the bottom in many markets. But beyond the headlines, there are plenty of reasons to stay cautious. There may even be fresh dangers just ahead.

And even if prices have stopped falling, it may be years before they start rising sharply again.

First, late spring is traditionally the strongest season in the real-estate market.

And it's hardly a surprise the market saw some green shoots this time around. It's enjoying not one, but two, gigantic taxpayer subsidies -- an $8,000 refundable tax credit, or gift, for first-time buyers, as well as those cheap mortgage rates. The Federal Reserve has been spending billions of dollars to keep interest rates down.

Both are only short-term fixes. Any sustained economic upturn would be expected to send long-term mortgage rates rising again, dousing the real-estate market with fresh cold water.

The picture on inventories isn't as good as it sounds, either. A lot of unsold homes have simply been put up for rent instead, especially in the most difficult markets like Miami. The result? A glut of empty rentals as well.

<strong>New waves of foreclosures and distressed sales may be coming, too. In states such as California, it can take many months for delinquencies to turn to foreclosures, which means last winter's bad news may still be coming down the pike. Meanwhile, vast tranches of teaser-rate mortgages are due to reset later this year and in 2010.

</strong>

As for the economy: Both unemployment and household debt levels remain at extremely high levels by the standards of postwar history. Either is bad news for housing. The combination is very bad.

<strong>Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, argued in a recent paper that the fundamentals still aren't great. It still remains cheaper to rent than to own in many markets, he says.</strong>

The biggest bubbles usually produce the deepest busts. And the 2002-2006 bubble was a doozy. The bad news may have ended after three terrible years, but maybe not. Japanese housing prices still haven't recovered from the late 1980s bubble. Western U.S. markets took six or seven years to recover after the last big bubble burst there in the early 1990s.

Yes, there are some hopeful signs, but don't let them fool you into thinking it's all clear. It might not be. As ever, anyone making a major financial decision needs to think more about his or her own situation than what "the market" is doing. <strong>A real-estate purchase needs to make sense on its own terms. And measure it on cash flow today, not the hope for capital gains tomorrow. When you factor in all the costs, is the purchase cheaper than renting?

</strong>

If you get a cheap mortgage and you are aggressive on price, you may get a bargain. That's especially true if the owner has to sell. Foreclosures and other distressed sales are selling for about 20% below the rest of the market. There are opportunities out there. But you can afford to take your time to shop around.

This article was reported by Brett Arends for The Wall Street Journal.

I've gotta say, the Asian markets really have much more interesting charts than we do. Look at the cliff diving on the Hang Seng today.

[quote author="Oxtail" date=1250690245]I've gotta say, the Asian markets really have much more interesting charts than we do. Look at the cliff diving on the Hang Seng today.</blockquote>

Did you mean the Shanghai? It got clobbered compared to the Hang Seng on percentage terms.

http://i27.tinypic.com/2dhw58z.jpg

US futures are looking pretty red at the moment with the Euro markets bleeding red right now.

<a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32506152/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/"><strong>Bernanke: Economy is on cusp of recovery </strong></a>

<strong>Economic activity in U.S. and around the world appears to be ?leveling out?</strong>

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke declared Friday that the U.S. economy is on the verge of a long-awaited recovery after enduring a brutal recession and the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.

Economic activity in both the U.S. and around the world appears to be "leveling out," and "the prospects for a return to growth in the near term appear good," Bernanke said in a speech at an annual Fed conference in Jackson Hole, Wyo.

The upbeat assessment was consistent with the Fed's observations earlier this month. The central bank has taken small steps toward pulling back some emergency programs to revive the economy.

Still, Bernanke stressed Friday that despite much progress in stabilizing financial markets and trying to bust through credit clogs, consumers and businesses are still having trouble getting loans. The situation is not back to normal, he said.

Restoring the free flow of credit is a critical component to a lasting recovery.

"Although we have avoided the worst, difficult challenges still lie ahead," Bernanke told the gathering. "We must work together to build on the gains already made to secure a sustained economic recovery."

Strains in financial markets worldwide persist. Financial institutions face "significant additional losses" on soured investments and many businesses and households are experiencing "considerable difficulty" in getting loans, he said.

Elsewhere at the conference, European Central Bank President Jean-Claude Trichet responded to a research paper on the origins and the nature of the financial crisis by saying he was a "little bit uneasy" about talk of a return to normalcy.

"We know that we have an enormous amount of work to do and we should be as active as possible," Trichet said.

The remarks by Bernanke, Trichet and others come two years after the financial crisis broke out and nearly one year after it had deepened to the point of sending the nation into a near meltdown.

The bulk of Bernanke's speech was a chronicle of the extraordinary events of the past year. Financial markets took a turn for the worst starting last September and into October, nearly shutting down the flow of credit. The crisis felled storied Wall Street firms and forced the government to take over mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, as well as insurance titan American International Group Inc.

Despite efforts to save it, Lehman Brothers failed. It filed for bankruptcy on Sept. 15, the largest in corporate history, which roiled markets worldwide.

To prop up shaky banks, the government created a $700 billion bailout fund, a program that proved wildly unpopular with an American public suffering fallout from the recession.

The Fed swooped in with unprecedented emergency lending programs to fight the crisis. It eventually slashed a key bank lending rate to a record low near zero. And Congress enacted programs to stimulate the economy, the most recent coming in February with President Barack Obama's $787 billion package of tax cuts and increased government spending.

"Without these speedy and forceful actions, last October's panic would likely have continued to intensify, more major firms would have failed and the entire global financial system would have been at serious risk," Bernanke said.

In recounting actions by the Fed and the government to battle the crisis, Bernanke didn't acknowledge any missteps by the central bank and other regulators. Critics have argued that the Wall Street bailouts in particular sent a message that companies that take reckless gambles will be rescued by the government. There's also the concern that the rescues put taxpayer's dollars at risk.

The public and lawmakers on Capitol Hill were incensed by the repeated taxpayer bailouts of AIG, totaling more than $180 billion, and outraged after the company paid hefty bonuses to employees who worked in the very division that brought down the firm. The $700 billion taxpayer-funded bailout program used to prop up banks, AIG, General Motors, Chrysler and other companies also drew criticism from the public and politicians.

But unlike in the 1930s, Washington policymakers this time acted aggressively and quickly to contain the crisis, said Bernanke, a scholar of the Great Depression.

"As severe as the economic impact has been, however, the outcome could have been decidedly worse," he said.

Story continues below ?advertisement | your ad here

Global cooperation in battling the crisis was crucial, with central banks slashing interest rates and the U.S. and other governments delivering fiscal stimulus, he noted.

"The crisis in turn sparked a deep global recession, from which we are only now beginning to emerge," the Fed chief observed.

Sponsored by the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, the conference draws a virtual who's who of the financial world ? Bernanke's counterparts in other countries, academics and economists. This year's forum focused on lessons learned from the crisis and how they can be applied to prevent a repeat of the debacles.

To that end, Bernanke again called a rewrite of the U.S. financial rule book ? something Congress is currently involved in. He again pressed for stricter oversight of companies ? like AIG ? whose failure would endanger the entire financial system and the broader economy. Obama would tap the Fed for that job, something many lawmakers in Congress don't like.

Bernanke also said the U.S. needs a process to wind down big, globally interconnected companies, much like the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. does for failing banks.

"Looking forward, we must urgently address structural weaknesses in the financial system, in particular in the regulatory framework, to ensure that the enormous costs of the past two years will not be borne again," he said.

Mostly I thought the whole economic recovery thing was wrong, but I had some doubts and maybe there could at least be a liquidity driven recovery.

But, now that Bernanke is calling it, I am sure there will be no recovery.

Sorry, but Bernanke is wrong, always. And I mean always.

[quote author="awgee" date=1250907786]Mostly I thought the whole economic recovery thing was wrong, but I had some doubts and maybe there could at least be a liquidity driven recovery.

Sorry, but Bernanke is wrong, always. And I mean always.</blockquote>

Well, there is a liquidity driven equity market rally going on, but no liquidity driven recovery, as average citizens are not getting any of those "liqudity" in our pockets, we are PAYING FOR IT!!! Big B is struggling, give him a break, lol

[quote author="BondTrader" date=1250909599][quote author="awgee" date=1250907786]Mostly I thought the whole economic recovery thing was wrong, but I had some doubts and maybe there could at least be a liquidity driven recovery.

Well, there is a liquidity driven equity market rally going on, but no liquidity driven recovery, as average citizens are not getting any of those "liqudity" in our pockets, we are PAYING FOR IT!!! Big B is struggling, give him a break, lol</blockquote>

It is always funny that people forget that there is a value to liquidity. If I want to sell my IBM, I can do it quickly and efficiently at whatever the market offers. If I want to unload my 4 spec houses in Riverside...well...not so much

[quote author="morekaos" date=1250911154][quote author="BondTrader" date=1250909599][quote author="awgee" date=1250907786]Mostly I thought the whole economic recovery thing was wrong, but I had some doubts and maybe there could at least be a liquidity driven recovery.

Well, there is a liquidity driven equity market rally going on, but no liquidity driven recovery, as average citizens are not getting any of those "liqudity" in our pockets, we are PAYING FOR IT!!! Big B is struggling, give him a break, lol</blockquote>

It is always funny that people forget that there is a value to liquidity. If I want to sell my IBM, I can do it quickly and efficiently at whatever the market offers. If I want to unload my 4 spec houses in Riverside...well...not so much</blockquote>

You reminds me of the liqudity rebates banks collecting while doing HFT and frontrunning.

[quote author="BondTrader" date=1250913733][quote author="morekaos" date=1250911154][quote author="BondTrader" date=1250909599][quote author="awgee" date=1250907786]Mostly I thought the whole economic recovery thing was wrong, but I had some doubts and maybe there could at least be a liquidity driven recovery.

It is always funny that people forget that there is a value to liquidity. If I want to sell my IBM, I can do it quickly and efficiently at whatever the market offers. If I want to unload my 4 spec houses in Riverside...well...not so much</blockquote>

You reminds me of the liqudity rebates banks collecting while doing HFT and frontrunning.</blockquote>

I admit I am a bit biased in my views

[quote author="BondTrader" date=1250909599][quote author="awgee" date=1250907786]Mostly I thought the whole economic recovery thing was wrong, but I had some doubts and maybe there could at least be a liquidity driven recovery.

Agreed, except for giving B-52 Ben a break. He is a liar and a pawn for thieves.

<a href="http://www.ocbj.com/industry_article_pay.asp?aID=26751676.7117831.1820702.52836302.6522406.296&aID2=140045">Irvine Co. Insight</a>

Irvine Co. Insight

OC?s Largest Landlord Sees Leasing Pick Up From Short-Term Deals, Aggressive Concessions

By MARK MUELLER

Orange County Business Journal Staff

It?s been a record-setting year for Irvine Company?s office properties group, even with the leasing market in Orange County largely on the skids.

The Newport Beach-based landlord?s local operations?which oversee about 16 million square feet of office space in OC?just posted its busiest year to date, in terms of square feet leased.

For the year ended June, Irvine Co.?s office properties division inked nearly 7 million square feet of deals, according to Val Wheeler, new chairman of the division.

Another 1 million square feet of leasing was completed in July. That has the landlord optimistic that the rest of 2009 will remain busy, even if OC?s job growth hasn?t shown signs of improvement of late, said Mike Santley, Irvine Co. senior leasing director.

Tenants?who on average take 7,000 square feet in Irvine Co. buildings?are still looking for space, just for different reasons, said the landlord?s leasing team.

?There have been some Band-Aids and one year deals. But a number of (big tenants), such as law firms, think they?re buying at the bottom and have done longer deals,? Santley said.

Looking for these kinds of opportunities has helped the division grab business, according to Wheeler, who last week was promoted to the newly created role after serving as president of Irvine Co.?s office properties division since 2007.

A year ago, ?we made a conscious decision we were going to keep the deals moving and that we were not going to lose any tenants,? Wheeler said.

That approach has resulted in a few coups for the division, such as grabbing the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. for a 200,000-square-foot deal at Irvine Co.?s new 40 Pacifica tower last November.

Key Renewals

The approach also helped the landlord close a number of key renewals. Last month Irvine Co. announced it resigned Verizon Wireless, a unit of New York-based Verizon Communications Inc., for 475,000 square feet at its Spectrum-area campus on Sand Canyon Avenue. Some 2,300 employees work at the 30-acre campus.

?We took an aggressive approach, and the result was the best year for us,? Wheeler said. ?There are deals to be made out there, and we?re getting more than our fair share.?

[quote author="awgee" date=1250917697][quote author="BondTrader" date=1250909599][quote author="awgee" date=1250907786]Mostly I thought the whole economic recovery thing was wrong, but I had some doubts and maybe there could at least be a liquidity driven recovery.

Agreed, except for giving B-52 Ben a break. He is a liar and a pawn for thieves.</blockquote>

Liar and a pawn for thieves....for four more years.

The frequency of these "bottoming" articles tells me the spin machine is working overtime.

<a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32551532/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/">Consumer sentiment rises more than expected</a>

Home prices post first quarterly increase in three years

Consumer sentiment rose more than expected in August and expectations hit the highest level since the recession began, indications that Americans' pessimism about the economy may be lifting.

The housing sector also showed signs of life as a national measure of home prices posted its first quarterly increase in three years.

The New York-based Conference Board said Tuesday its Consumer Confidence index rose to 54.1 from an upwardly revised 47.4 in July. Economists surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected a slight increase to 47.5.

Story continues below ?advertisement | your ad here

Still, the index is well below 90, the minimum level associated with a healthy economy. Anything above 100 signals strong growth.

Economists closely monitor confidence because consumer spending accounts for about 70 percent of U.S. economic activity. Consumer sentiment ? fueled by signs the economy is stabilizing ? has recovered a bit since hitting a record-low of 25.3 in February.

Many analysts expect the economy to grow 2-3 percent in the current July-September quarter, spurred by a more stable housing market and the Cash for Clunkers program, which has boosted auto sales.

But economists worry that without healthier consumer spending, the recovery may weaken next year.

The housing slump and a weak job market have made consumers reluctant to spend. But the outlook for jobs is improving, the Conference Board said, with fewer respondents saying positions are "hard to get," and more claiming they are "plentiful."

Consumers' expectations for the economy over the next six months rose to 73.5 from 63.4 in July, the highest level since December 2007, when the recession began. The consumer confidence survey was sent to 5,000 households and had a cutoff date for responses of August 18.

Sal Guatieri, an economist at BMO Capital Markets, said the jump in the expectations index meant consumers likely will spend more in the months ahead.

"It won't be a smooth ride, but with consumer confidence now tracking higher, the groundwork for a sustainable recovery appears to be in place," he wrote in a note to clients.

The housing sector also received positive news. The Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller's U.S. National Home Price Index rose nearly 3 percent in the second quarter from the January-March period, the first quarterly increase in three years. Home prices, while still down almost 15 percent from last year, are at levels last seen in early 2003.

The reports, along with President Barack Obama's reappointment of Ben Bernanke as Federal Reserve chief, sent the financial markets higher. The Dow Jones industrial average rose 70 points in morning trading, and broader indices also gained.

Obama said Tuesday that his administration's $787 billion stimulus package, and the extraordinary efforts by Bernanke to pump trillions of dollars into the financial system, have helped turn the economy around.

"Our auto industry is showing signs of life," Obama said. "Business investment is showing signs of stabilizing. Our housing market and credit markets have been saved from collapse."

Jobs are a weak spot, however, and could limit future consumer spending if Americans remain concerned about layoffs or declining wages.

Still, the Labor Department reported earlier this month that the unemployment rate dipped for the first time in 15 months, and workers' hours and pay rose slightly in July. The unemployment rate slipped to 9.4 percent, from 9.5 percent, while July job losses slowed to a total of 247,000, the fewest in a year and a big improvement from June's 443,000.

Durable Goods Orders

Released on 8/26/2009 8:30:00 AM For July, 2009

Prior Consensus Consensus Range Actual

New Orders - M/M change -2.5 % 2.5 % 0.9 % to 8.0 % 4.9 %

Ex-transportation - M/M 1.1 % 0.8 %

Highlights

Aircraft orders and auto orders made for a surge in the manufacturing sector during July, another key factor suggesting that the recession has already come to an end. New orders for durable goods shot up 4.9 percent. Excluding an 18.4 percent surge in transportation, orders still rose a strong 0.8 percent. Civilian aircraft orders rose more than six fold while motor vehicle orders, likely boosted by cash for clunkers, rose 0.9 percent. Capital goods orders were extremely strong, up 9.5 percent following a 5.7 percent drop in June. The report even includes an upward revision to the prior month's orders, to minus 1.3 percent from minus 2.2 percent. Details include big gains for primary metals, fabricated metals, computers & electronics, communication equipment, and even electrical equipment in a gain that hints at improving construction demand. Machinery orders did fall substantially but couldn't make a dent into the capital goods reading.

Shipments of durable goods also increased, up 2.0 percent in a gain that gets third-quarter output data off to a good start. Despite all the orders and shipments, manufacturers continue to draw down inventories which fell 0.8 percent to extend a long string of declines. Watch for the inventory index in the August ISM manufacturing report which may very well jump given how heavy July's business was. The jump in new orders has yet to move into unfilled orders which dipped 0.1 percent in the month.

The data had no significant impact on the financial markets, in part because a big gain was expected and in part because this report is often very volatile. Also, whether the gain in aircraft orders can be repeated is an open question and a retreat in this category could pull down data for August. Still, the manufacturing sector, the first to dip into recession, appears to be among the first sectors to have emerged from recession.

Tomorrows GDP has a shot at actually being POSITIVE....we shall see

Our economy is stabilizing. Meaning, low performing (relatively) for years to come. THis is ensured by environmental regulations (their time is due) and exportation of manufacturing jobs, and our creation of a service economy which will remain weak over the long haul. Don't expect our economy to boom or grow much. China and India have gained much expertise and pay a few of our experts to go over there and teach them what they need to know to get THEIR economy going. Our loss of jobs here is only stabilization, not a reaction. The world is evening out, don't doubt it. Even China is producing less coal plants, and moving a huge way into renewables. These technologies and their advancements are set to leave us in the dust. With our debt load and lack of "product," we are not going to good old times anytime soon! What's going to correct that? You tell me! I have my thoughts, but I want to listen first!

More talks about a turnaround

<blockquote>

Case Says California Shows Signs of Housing Turnaround: Audio

<a href="http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/News/Surveillance/vVgxl6_SyX0Y.mp3">Bloomberg radio interview</a>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

Shiller Says U.S. Housing Market May Be Turning Around: Audio

<a href="http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/News/Surveillance/vdTKOddNz19E.mp3">Bloomberg radio interview</a>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

Mark Hanson's take on the Case-Schiller index movement

<a href="http://mhanson.com/archives/173">False Bottoms</a>

</blockquote>

Back