I THINK THE MARKETS HAVE BOTTOMED!!!

[quote author="Trooper" date=1235166661]I didn't have time to post before I headed off to work yesterday....but I have to tell you. The first thing I did when I woke up around 3:00 in the afternoon, was click on the TV to see what the market closed at.

I simply HAD to see if Morekaos lost his bet with BV ! (No kidding, it was my first lucid thought after I woke up.....) sad, but true. :p

I lurk on this thread and *wish* I could figure out what the heck you guys are saying.</blockquote>

LOL, that is a bit sad Troop. Suffice it to say I lost, but fear not, it wasn't the first and won't be the last time that happens. In 25 years in this biz I still get paid, not for being right 100% of the time but being right most of the time. Ooops. I'm glad this thread inspired alot of interest.

[quote author="morekaos" date=1235171546][quote author="Trooper" date=1235166661]I didn't have time to post before I headed off to work yesterday....but I have to tell you. The first thing I did when I woke up around 3:00 in the afternoon, was click on the TV to see what the market closed at.

I simply HAD to see if Morekaos lost his bet with BV ! (No kidding, it was my first lucid thought after I woke up.....) sad, but true. :p

I lurk on this thread and *wish* I could figure out what the heck you guys are saying.</blockquote>

LOL, that is a bit sad Troop. Suffice it to say I lost, but fear not, it wasn't the first and won't be the last time that happens. In 25 years in this biz I still get paid, not for being right 100% of the time but being right most of the time. Ooops. I'm glad this thread inspired alot of interest.</blockquote>

It was just a friendly guesstimate, nobody can really predict things, but its fun to try. But yes it is quite interesting to see others are keeping tabs.

You nailed it Morekaos, to do well in the market you just have to be right 51% of the time and anything higher s gravy. I pay attention to all your posts and value your opinions on the market because I know you have been right often. Now let's make some money!!!

BTW, what do you do? I'm assuming trade equities or something related. If you don't mind me asking.

Its getting very ugly. The 3 banks C, WFC, BAC have a combined market cap

of about 70 Billion left as of today. Thats with C under $ 2.00

WFC under $ 10.00 and BAC under $ 3.50.

Looks like the Nationalization that Uncle Ben slipped out has spooked

these Equities to the point they are going to vaporize before our eyes in a few short days.

Imagine. America`s largest banks just GONE from an equity perspective.

Lets see how the late afternoon trades as everybody unwinds positions.

Here. Hit the Sub Dive Button. Enjoy.

<a href="http://www.cnbc.com/id/18724672/site/14081545/">Cramer`s Sound Board</a>

[quote author="bltserv" date=1235177464]Its getting very ugly. The 3 banks C, WFC, BAC have a combined market cap

of about 70 Billion left as of today. Thats with C under $ 2.00

WFC under $ 10.00 and BAC under $ 3.50.

Looks like the Nationalization that Uncle Ben slipped out has spooked

these Equities to the point they are going to vaporize before our eyes in a few short days.

Imagine. America`s largest banks just GONE from an equity perspective.

Lets see how the late afternoon trades as everybody unwinds positions.

Here. Hit the Sub Dive Button. Enjoy.

<a href="http://www.cnbc.com/id/18724672/site/14081545/">Cramer`s Sound Board</a></blockquote>
I think the best sound for these banks is "THE HOUSE OF PAIN"

[quote author="skek" date=1235183071]Wow, we're looking at an October 1997 DJIA close. I was still in university, then. Alcoa is back to a 1988 price. I was in high school in 1988. Think of all the wealth that has been destroyed in the last few months, particularly for those who are at or near retirement age. Sometimes the magnitude of what we are experiencing is truly staggering to think about.</blockquote>
If people were at or near retirement age, chances are they did not have the majority of their account invested in stocks. As you get closer to retirement, your portfolio gets shifted towards fixed income investments to phase out risk and provide a continuing income stream. The people who are getting hurt the most are the Gen X investors.

[quote author="Oscar" date=1235183527][quote author="skek" date=1235183071]Wow, we're looking at an October 1997 DJIA close. I was still in university, then. Alcoa is back to a 1988 price. I was in high school in 1988. Think of all the wealth that has been destroyed in the last few months, particularly for those who are at or near retirement age. Sometimes the magnitude of what we are experiencing is truly staggering to think about.</blockquote>
If people were at or near retirement age, chances are they did not have the majority of their account invested in stocks. As you get closer to retirement, your portfolio gets shifted towards fixed income investments to phase out risk and provide a continuing income stream. The people who are getting hurt the most are the Gen X investors.</blockquote>

In theory yes. However, that isn't what happened. Nearly everyone is/was in equities. Gen X doesn't have the firepower to move the market this much, but when the babyboomers start liquidating...thats when trouble brews.

This is the whole reason I don't think DOW will get back to its high for some time. Because a lot of money has flooded the market via 401Ks etc and main contributors were babyboomers. As they pass through the system, that money will not return. So what you are seeing is two things contributing to the collapse. Withdrawl of money from babyboomers and collapse in the economy. This market will overshoot as a result and bounce back at some point. However, you won't see 14.4K DOW anytime soon unless a new technological development is born. Or....we have another BUBBLE!!! YEAH!

On the side note...just bought Cisco March 15 Calls for 0.85. Let the party begin!

[quote author="skek" date=1235185929]Agree, BV. I think the baby boomers are from here on out a net seller of investments and real estate. That is a serious headwind against any long term rally in either sector.

They are going to be a net consumer of medical services. Hmmmm...</blockquote>
Must be time to nationalize healthcare. :smirk:

[quote author="skek" date=1235185929]Agree, BV. I think the baby boomers are from here on out a net seller of investments and real estate. That is a serious headwind against any long term rally in either sector.

Many investors are finding "safe haven" or "saver haven than the rest" in medical sector; biotech...pharma etc.

At some point I need to do quick research to see what the peak is regards to babyboomers. In other words is 2015 the year we have the most babyboomers in the system before it starts to decline. When it does decline, buying long term puts on the medical sector wouldn't be a bad way to profit. But I need to do research first.

[quote author="Oscar" date=1235186296][quote author="skek" date=1235185929]Agree, BV. I think the baby boomers are from here on out a net seller of investments and real estate. That is a serious headwind against any long term rally in either sector.

Must be time to nationalize healthcare. :smirk:</blockquote>

Wouldn't that be something. I think healthcare will be ok as long as they don't screw up, which I don't see them doing so. They have been eating quite well over the past decade or so. Companies like JNJ, AMGN etc have stable cash flow and rich in capital. Management for these companies is fantastic as well, so they will forsee this coming. But there will be plenty of smaller companies that will just fail because they started late and are not well capitalized to withstand a decline in healthcare spending.

Wow I was expecting a turn around, but not right away. Best feeling ever is when you buy something it starts to appreciate minutes after. Them calls are doing pretty nice! I didn't sell my soul either.

[quote author="BlackVault CM" date=1235186554][quote author="Oscar" date=1235186296][quote author="skek" date=1235185929]Agree, BV. I think the baby boomers are from here on out a net seller of investments and real estate. That is a serious headwind against any long term rally in either sector.

Must be time to nationalize healthcare. :smirk:</blockquote>

Wouldn't that be something. I think healthcare will be ok as long as they don't screw up, which I don't see them doing so. They have been eating quite well over the past decade or so. Companies like JNJ, AMGN etc have stable cash flow and rich in capital. Management for these companies is fantastic as well, so they will forsee this coming. But there will be plenty of smaller companies that will just fail because they started late and are not well capitalized to withstand a decline in healthcare spending.</blockquote>
Obama will nationalize healthcare while he still has a Congress to do it. Daschle's whole job as HHS Secretary was to usher a bill through Congress, and while he may be gone, the plan hasn't changed.

I have a real question. This is not an argument or in any way meant to be antagonistic. It is a real question that I have when I hear financial folks speaking thusly.

[quote author="CapitalismWorks" date=1234872996] Since the average investor is currently 33% cash on average (according to UBS research), there is more cash than usual sitting idle (just not as much as there used to be).

</blockquote>

During selloffs, the folks on financial tv speak of people or institutions going to cash and having more cash than usual on the sidelines. They talk about all the cash waiting on the sidelines.

Well, if a person or mutual fund or whatever sells $10,000 worth of equities and converts it to cash, doesn't someone else have to convert cash to equities in order to buy the $10,000 worth of equities that the other party sold? How can there be more cash than usual? For every seller there is a buyer. And in the same amounts.

Am I making sense? Do you know what I mean?

Good question! The way I understand it, the mythical "they" borrow short term, using treasuries and the like as collateral, to put on trades. Combined with trading on margin, "they" can trade in larger blocks of money than they actually have and then close out when the trade is over. That reduces their margin and pays back the short term loan, leaving them and all their potential trading cash on the sidelines.

I might be wrong, but that is my understanding of things.

[quote author="awgee" date=1235187026]I have a real question. This is not an argument or in any way meant to be antagonistic. It is a real question that I have when I hear financial folks speaking thusly.

[quote author="CapitalismWorks" date=1234872996] Since the average investor is currently 33% cash on average (according to UBS research), there is more cash than usual sitting idle (just not as much as there used to be).

</blockquote>

During selloffs, the folks on financial tv speak of people or institutions going to cash and having more cash than usual on the sidelines. They talk about all the cash waiting on the sidelines.

Well, if a person or mutual fund or whatever sells $10,000 worth of equities and converts it to cash, doesn't someone else have to convert cash to equities in order to buy the $10,000 worth of equities that the other party sold? How can there be more cash than usual? For every seller there is a buyer. And in the same amounts.

Am I making sense? Do you know what I mean?</blockquote>

You're making sense. In my opinion when they say there is all this cash on the sidelines, is true to an extent. However, cash has been destroyed as well in the process.

In order for something to go up in value, you need more cash around.

Let's just say that there are two individuals in the stock market. Price of CSCO share is at 100 dollars. A owns one share of CSCO and B doesn't but has 100 dollars in cash. Real value is 200 dollars.

Now A has something that is worth 100 dollars, but that price is only determined by the last person that bought. B comes along and says hey I don't want your share for 100, I'll give you 50 dollars for it. A isn't pressured to sell so he says no. Something happens in life that A now has to sell, so he is reconsidering the offer. Eventually they negotiate a deal for 75.

New real value? 175 dollars. The cash is still there, 75 received for A and B has 25 left. But the share is now only worth 75, so the purchasing power has decreased. It's the same theory as equity in your home, value drops, and equity evaporates.

So it's true that there is sideline cash, but it takes another to make the transaction work.

Now take another example of what is happening today. Same people A and B. However, B only has 10 dollars because he got laid off from his high paying job and the new one doesn't pay as much. Let's just say that C, D, E and F also only have 10 dollars. Their purchasing power drops so A has to decide if he wants to sell for 100 or give in to the pressure and sell for 10.

90 dollars of value just evaporated. I'm not sure if explaining it right or in a way that makes sense. However, as long as purchasing power is decreaseing so is the demand. Demand drops, supply increases, stocks go down.

I've been building towards that trend for quite a while. And when playing that trend, you don't necessarily have to go high tech. One of my favorite holdings is a company that provides outsourcing for the cleaning of linens for hospitals and retirement homes.

Back