I owe the IHB an apology, and accurate current milk pricing - IMPORTANT

[quote author="tmare" date=1237205016][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1237204610]Ice cream still more expensive than I can remember. Back in graduate school, I used to get two half-gallon Dreyer ice cream and eat them as dinner for less than $5 when they are on buy-one-get-one-free sale. Nowadays, they don't sell them in half gallon container anymore, and each is like $6 alone.</blockquote>

Ok, what? You ate two HALF GALLON ice cream containers for dinner? I'm so confused. I see half gallon ice cream as just about the only unit available. Please clarify or no_vas is going to have a field day with you.</blockquote>

I've found that Dreyer's has been selling for the same price for at least a decade: $6 for two containers, on sale. However, the containers have gotten smaller over the years. In 2002, they reduced the half gallon container to 1.75 quarts and just last year, they reduced it further to 1.5 quarts, fully 25% smaller than their old half gallon container, but the price has remained the same all those years. Dreyers believes consumers are more sensitive to price increases than product shrinkage.

When Mrs. HG was expecting, nearly every day I'd come home from work to find the trash full of 1/2 gal ice cream empties. It reminded of me of my college days when my apartment was strewn with empty forty bottles.

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1237249616][quote author="tmare" date=1237205016][quote author="Astute Observer" date=1237204610]Ice cream still more expensive than I can remember. Back in graduate school, I used to get two half-gallon Dreyer ice cream and eat them as dinner for less than $5 when they are on buy-one-get-one-free sale. Nowadays, they don't sell them in half gallon container anymore, and each is like $6 alone.</blockquote>

Ok, what? You ate two HALF GALLON ice cream containers for dinner? I'm so confused. I see half gallon ice cream as just about the only unit available. Please clarify or no_vas is going to have a field day with you.</blockquote>

I've found that Dreyer's has been selling for the same price for at least a decade: $6 for two containers, on sale. However, the containers have gotten smaller over the years. In 2002, they reduced the half gallon container to 1.75 quarts and just last year, they reduced it further to 1.5 quarts, fully 25% smaller than their old half gallon container, but the price has remained the same all those years. Dreyers believes consumers are more sensitive to price increases than product shrinkage.

When Mrs. HG was expecting, nearly every day I'd come home from work to find the trash full of 1/2 gal ice cream empties. It reminded of me of my college days when my apartment was strewn with empty forty bottles.</blockquote>

Ms. Ninja used to work for Dryers Ice cream and commented on that also. She worked with developing the emulsifiers for the ice cream. Too little and the stuff would never solidify, to much and it back a brick of ice and would clog the machines.

She commented that they kept changing the sizes and the mix would have to change accordingly.

Anyways good luck

-bix

This weeks SoCal market milk price highlights:

Fresh and Easy has gallons for $1.99. Nonfat, lo fat, and 2%.

Ralphs has Mountain Dairy Chocolate milk - 64 oz - for $1.99. You need a card.

I'm going to Stater Bros. for something, I'll report back if they've got a deal if you need to feed 14 kids or like to bathe in Lucky Charms or something.

I had to go back to Stater Bros. for something else.

You can buy 2 gallons of fluid milk for $3.89 in Valutime. If you get Foster Farms it's almost $4 a gallon!

BE AWARE. Do no overpay for milk! 2% is 2%! Buy the cheap stuff!

Pavillions/Vons had two gallons for $3.98 and Ralphs had the same for I think $3.89.

On Saturday I went to Grower's Direct and noticed they had one gallon of Alta Dena for $2.99 which I think is a good price. Albertson's and Wholesome Choice used to sell it for $5 (I haven't checked the prices there in a few months). Funny enough, the cheapest places I found that sold Alta Dena milk were 99 Ranch and Zion Market.

does anyone else remember the great 2003 Costco milk price reduction? It got crushed by Congress.

See <a href="http://www.keepmilkpriceslow.org/g2gnews/news12112006.htm">keepmilkpriceslow.org</a>

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1237377036]With Valutime, during part of the year, the milk have some kind of weird taste. The expensive stuff does not seem to do that. Any insight? I heard it is some dietary thing that give the cow's boobies some nasty outputs.</blockquote>

No idea. It should always taste the same. I won't buy milk in a plastic jug ever.

<a href="http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3301/is_n9_v94/ai_14534016">And this isn't why.</a>

It won't fit in my fridge with all the beer.

I don't really buy the vitamin argument. 24 h of light reduces them by 10%? how many milk jugs get 24h of light? (i'm pretty darn sure that light goes off when i close the fridge door!)

I don't know what I'm going to die of first. The toxic water from the El Toro plume (I use tap water to make my coffee and tea) or the carcinogens in the plastic bottled water I drink (I don't really like the taste of tap water in Irvine).

All quiet on the western front. No new doorbuster specials to report.

Stater Bros. is still running the 2-gallons-for-$3.89 deal on the Valutime product.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1238536380]All quiet on the western front. No new doorbuster specials to report.

Stater Bros. is still running the 2-gallons-for-$3.89 deal on the Valutime product.</blockquote>

Is Valutime milk from cows treated with rBST? Pavillions (Safeway) and Ralphs milk is also $3.89 for 2 gallons and the bottles say the milk is not from cows treated with rBST.

I'm kind of surprised so many people drink cow's milk. I switched to soy milk about 2 years ago (about when I moved to CA...hmmmmm) because regular milk upset my stomach so much. My better half switched at the same time for convenience and hasn't seemed to mind. I don't think its a lactose thing though because lactose free milk did the same thing to me.

The rBST deal never bothered me. These days it's probally easy to get everything rBST free because the price to the dairyman is so low, if a cow isn't a top producer, off the auction for it's future career as a McDonalds hamburger it goes.

[quote author="NewToOC" date=1238543763]I'm kind of surprised so many people drink cow's milk. I switched to soy milk about 2 years ago (about when I moved to CA...hmmmmm) because regular milk upset my stomach so much. My better half switched at the same time for convenience and hasn't seemed to mind. I don't think its a lactose thing though because lactose free milk did the same thing to me.</blockquote>

If milk bothers you but it's not the lactose then it could be you have a casein allergy which is a sensitivity to the milk's protein.

I've personally kind of had it with the whole milk/soy/goat etc... stuff. A neighbor only gave her kids organic milk until she read up and decided to go with only soy for the whole family. Then the next bit of info she received caused her to swear off soy altogether. I have a another friend who is only drinking almond milk. Personally, I don't even like milk. My four year old still drinks about 10 oz. at night before bed and my 3 year old just can't stand it, she refuses to drink it, soy, organic, goat, almond or whatever else you give her that looks like milk. I say if someone likes it, let them drink it, otherwise, I don't really think it's very necessary (sorry, no_vas).

Back