How much money would you spend on Design Center?

NEW -> Contingent Buyer Assistance Program
Does anybody know if the Design Center will give you "credit" back for something you intend to upgrade? For example the stainless steel sink in the kitchen comes in free before the upgrade. If I want to upgrade to Kohler single basin cast iron sink, would they give me credit back for my stainless steel sink? (let say it's about $100 and the cast iron sick costs $800 to upgrade.) Would I pay $700 in the end for the $100 credit back from my standard sink?? I am not sure how that works. Anyone knows?

iloveirvineoc said:
Does anybody know if the Design Center will give you "credit" back for something you intend to upgrade? For example the stainless steel sink in the kitchen comes in free before the upgrade. If I want to upgrade to Kohler single basin cast iron sink, would they give me credit back for my stainless steel sink? (let say it's about $100 and the cast iron sick costs $800 to upgrade.) Would I pay $700 in the end for the $100 credit back from my standard sink?? I am not sure how that works. Anyone knows?

The price listed for the upgrade usually 'already' factors that replacement credit in.

irvinehomeowner said:
eclipxe said:
This thread cost me $1000. I went back and added recessed lighting in two bedrooms. Didn't opt for LED, I figure that can be done later.
Heh.

But electrical stuff is good to get through the builder.

And yes, since LEDs are available as regular light bulbs, no need to "upgrade" to those.

Do they offer LED modules.. those look much better than the bulbs. 

Not sure what IP does with warranty.. but my warranty did not void when I installed my own recessed lighting. 

WTTCMN said:
eclipxe said:
This thread cost me $1000. I went back and added recessed lighting in two bedrooms. Didn't opt for LED, I figure that can be done later.

Worth it. I didn't get recessed lighting for the secondary bedrooms in my last new house and regretted it. Corrected that mistake with this current new house.

+1
I skipped on recessed lights in the bedrooms in my previous home, my new home will have recessed lights everywhere.

I pretty much did everything through the builder this time around, just don't have the time to spend with contractors.  Only regret I have is not getting solar and upgraded garage opener.  I believe my builder charged $12k+ for 3kw solar panels.

From my pricing sheets, most of the pre-determined prices my builder charges appeared reasonable.  However, when it came down to custom quotes things seemed to get expensive such as backsplash and shower upgrades. 

iHeartIrvine said:
Section-8 4All said:
WTTCMN said:
eclipxe said:

Worth it. I didn't get recessed lighting for the secondary bedrooms in my last new house and regretted it. Corrected that mistake with this current new house.

+1
I skipped on recessed lights in the bedrooms in my previous home, my new home will have recessed lights everywhere.
I pretty much did everything through the builder this time around.  Only regret not getting solar.  I believe my builder charged $12k+ for 3kw solar panels.

If I show you my SCE bill with the solar panel you probably will regret it more.

Curious how much?

My bill averages $30 a month so my break-even pt is years away.  Luckily, my place is solar ready so maybe I'll take the plunge someday.

It would be nice, though, turning up the AC full blast during the summer versus being in conserve mode.

My bill is usually in the 30s as well non summer.

Sometimes even cheaper in the summer since I'm on the summer saver plan.

WTTCMN said:
Section-8 4All said:
iHeartIrvine said:
Section-8 4All said:
WTTCMN said:
eclipxe said:

+1
I pretty much did everything through the builder this time around.  Only regret not getting solar.  I believe my builder charged $12k+ for 3kw solar panels.

If I show you my SCE bill with the solar panel you probably will regret it more.

Curious how much?

My bill averages $30 a month so my break-even pt is years away.  Luckily, my place is solar ready so maybe I'll take the plunge someday.

It would be nice, though, turning up the AC full blast during the summer versus being in conserve mode.

Ok seriously. I know this has been discussed before but how on earth is your bill only $30 with no solar? Are u using your AC at all?  My bill was 200+ last month and I don't even go crazy with the AC. We have fans in every room.

do you have second frig in the garage?

WTTCMN said:
What's the summer saver plan? Yes I can prob google so save the lmgtfy links.

Yes. Second fridge in garage.

What am I doing wrong bc really - $200 savings per month times 12 is a decent Celine bag.

We signed up for the summer energy saver plan also at our old home.  SCE turned off the AC when demand is at peak.  It was not fun being sweaty with cranky children. 

WTTCMN said:

What am I doing wrong bc really - $200 savings per month times 12 is a decent Celine bag.
You need to shut down your TigerMom.com server farm. :)

If you're running over $150/mo in electricity, there has to be something else using so much juice. Pool? 15 HD TVs on at the same time?

Ours is usually around $40, but when we run the AC more often, it gets close to $100. Still not enough to warrant solar.

My highest electric bill was about $45 during the summer and about $24 all other months.  I use about 1-2.5kw a hour (maybe 4-5 hrs a day).  The kicker is I was only at my place about 4 days a week.  I had very annoying down stairs neighbors.

I'm expecting a much higher bill during the summer months when I move, most likely around $200.  I can't stand the heat.

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:
WTTCMN said:

You need to shut down your TigerMom.com server farm. :)

If you're running over $150/mo in electricity, there has to be something else using so much juice. Pool? 15 HD TVs on at the same time?

Ours is usually around $40, but when we run the AC more often, it gets close to $100. Still not enough to warrant solar.

Yea. Must be the tigermom server farm. I am in that tier 4 "wasteful"category. So what do you people all do when SCE shuts off your AC?  Is that why I see all these Asian families camped out at the B&N on jamboree "testing" out all the books and toys?

It only happened once to us but I was ready to go to a hotel. 
Bones, you need to install the SP.  Now even if the temperature goes beyond 90F we don't mind it because that's when the SP produces most electricity. 

Back