How is Your Landscaping? Have a Waterfall/Fountain/Fireplace? Recommendations?

nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:
nosuchreality said:
Yes, North Tustin, backyard area is roughly 30'x70'.
Please don't say 3CWG.

3CWD, 2CWG with 8' deep workspace in tandem arrangement and workbench on side.

Is your house for real?  :'(
From what you describe, it sounds like a lovely house with history and character. When did you buy it? Did it need any fixing/ updating/ modernization?

Cubic Zirconia said:
nosuchreality said:
irvinehomeowner said:
nosuchreality said:
Yes, North Tustin, backyard area is roughly 30'x70'.
Please don't say 3CWG.

3CWD, 2CWG with 8' deep workspace in tandem arrangement and workbench on side.

Is your house for real?  :'(
From what you describe, it sounds like a lovely house with history and character. When did you buy it? Did it need any fixing/ updating/ modernization?

It has some compensating factors.  It required a replacement of the roof and HVAC to start.  Kitchen was usable older tile and cabinets with new appliances. Bathrooms updated.

Biggest issue with the nearly 9 month sewage swim of a short sale purchase.

Cubic Zirconia said:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2371.msg53835.html#msg53835

My jasmines are my prized possessions. I did lose all my exotic varieties last year, that was a pain considering the amount of money and work I put in. Two lemons and one orange (dwarf) tree didn't survive either. But rest did great. Peach/ Plum look great in summer and spring, but shed in winter../End limited gardening knowledge.

Your lemon and orange trees didn't survive?  I thought those were supposed to survive in our areas...

I'll take a pic of my backyard when I get home.  I have a combination of concrete, flagstone and some grass (total backyard is approximately 50' wide x 35' deep).  I have a dwarf meyer lemon and valencia orange tree.  Both seem to be doing pretty well.  The orange tree had a huge lemon sucker that sprouted beneath the graft line that I promptly removed.  Also have a potted peach tree that seems to produce quite well and a small herb garden.

Also, I've recently had a couple run-ins with gophers in the backyard.  Thankfully I caught them quick enough before they could do too much damage to the backyard.  However, I think there must be some underground tunnel that is allowing them to get to my yard from beyond my walls...

kubert13 said:
Cubic Zirconia said:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,2371.msg53835.html#msg53835

My jasmines are my prized possessions. I did lose all my exotic varieties last year, that was a pain considering the amount of money and work I put in. Two lemons and one orange (dwarf) tree didn't survive either. But rest did great. Peach/ Plum look great in summer and spring, but shed in winter../End limited gardening knowledge.

Your lemon and orange trees didn't survive?  I thought those were supposed to survive in our areas...

I'll take a pic of my backyard when I get home.  I have a combination of concrete, flagstone and some grass (total backyard is approximately 50' wide x 35' deep).  I have a dwarf meyer lemon and valencia orange tree.  Both seem to be doing pretty well.  The orange tree had a huge lemon sucker that sprouted beneath the graft line that I promptly removed.  Also have a potted peach tree that seems to produce quite well and a small herb garden.

Also, I've recently had a couple run-ins with gophers in the backyard.  Thankfully I caught them quick enough before they could do too much damage to the backyard.  However, I think there must be some underground tunnel that is allowing them to get to my yard from beyond my walls...

Where do you live? Newer construction area? If yes, then you will be seeing raccoons and other mild-wild visitors also.
Yes, 2 lemons and 1 orange totally burned out! But one of the Mayer lemon survived, and one of the orange made it too.. Peaches and plums- they grow so quickly, and fruit without any care at all! I have them in the ground, and other than sprinklers, they haven't seen much love. I don't like them in winter though.. what a grim looking bare tree then!

CZ I don't follow, what do you mean burned out?

Are you up in the hills and you got a hard frost?  Or have they just stopped producing?

Burned out like someone put a cigarette on them. When the roses burned like that, I didn't know what happened.. but later figured that the window and sliding door reflect the sun/heat on that wall.

Look like this?
images

The image is too small to see. But I ran a search on frost burned lemon trees. Surprisingly that's hw my 'burned' plants looked. All my plants died in summer. Frost burn in summer??

MG_1067.jpg
http://sonorantreesvc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/MG_1067.jpg

How about this?  Your cigarette burn statement had me wondering if there was black sap on the trunk or limbs kind of like in the second image.  Which would make it fireblight.

jul_2.jpg

fireblight.jpg

Back