How is Your Landscaping? Have a Waterfall/Fountain/Fireplace? Recommendations?

lucky760

We had our first consultation with a hardscaper/landscaper yesterday. He took us around to a few homes in Stonegate where they recently did work.

The hardscaping was fine, but the landscaping has us concerned. They seem to know a lot about plant life and how best to apply them, e.g., grow certain types to cover the wall, others to grow tall and block the view from over the wall, etc., and all the lighting and irrigation seemed great.

Our concerns were that most all of the actual plants just looked in pretty bad shape. They seemed very dry and unattractive. I imagine it must at least in part be due to the weather, but... now I have less confidence in how our landscaping is going to turn out.

If you have photos of your landscaping, please share them here. I'd love to have some ideas about how a nice looking yard might look. Plus I'd like to do something a little less than plain with regard to the border of the paving stones and the planter areas.

It may be outside our budget, but we're also considering buying a pre-built waterfall-style fountain. (The hardscapers will install a base and the power outlet.) We'd also like to consider some kind of a fireplace or fire pit type of deal maybe.

Pictures and recommendations, please!

I  don't want to see immaculate, professional stuff, but real life actual yards, especially from my local area.

Lucky - the plants may look dry but that is likely due to over watering.  The nursery and the guys who did our yard told us the main reason most plants die is due to over watering. We have our sprinklers set to run twice a week for 3 minutes each time.  Also, every three months we aerate the soil and put in miracle gro plant food and all of our plants are doing very well.

Qwerter, you think I killed my jasmines? Twice a day, minute each time.. Too much loving'?
Lucky, take a walk in the neighborhood, see what plants look good, what appeals to you.. Woodbridge lake area has some pretty landscaping too..check put those patios facing the lake. One of them esp has all fruit trees in pots. Must be real hard work to maintain them.

Cubic Zirconia said:
Qwerter, you think I killed my jasmines? Twice a day, minute each time.. Too much loving'?
Lucky, take a walk in the neighborhood, see what plants look good, what appeals to you.. Woodbridge lake area has some pretty landscaping too..check put those patios facing the lake. One of them esp has all fruit trees in pots. Must be real hard work to maintain them.

I don't know CZ - I'm not a pro by any means. Just following the instructions the nursery guy gave me. In the summer, they told me to use the same amount of water, but spread it over three days.

How bout more native plants?  Remember flipping thru a book on CA native plants at Costco... Succulents, more drought resistant...and most important of all.. can survive a zombiepocalypse when your sprinklers go down.

@CZ -
I love that photo. The beautiful Buddha statue is very nicely set in that fluffy cloud of flowers.

@qwerty -
Interesting. So it sounds like yard death is a very common thing 'round these parts. Any photos of your plants?

I'm definitely going to need a lot of education about plant care. I am an absolute novice. All I know is chloroplasts are responsible for photosynthesis.

Irvine_Dreamer said:
Do u mind if u share with us the name of the lanscaping company?

Not at all. They're called Nu Era Construction. The owner Sean Graham is a very friendly guy who makes you feel very comfortable, however he seems inundated with work, so response times are not optimal.

lucky said:
We had our first consultation with a hardscaper/landscaper yesterday. He took us around to a few homes in Stonegate where they recently did work.

The hardscaping was fine, but the landscaping has us concerned. They seem to know a lot about plant life and how best to apply them, e.g., grow certain types to cover the wall, others to grow tall and block the view from over the wall, etc., and all the lighting and irrigation seemed great.

Our concerns were that most all of the actual plants just looked in pretty bad shape. They seemed very dry and unattractive. I imagine it must at least in part be due to the weather, but... now I have less confidence in how our landscaping is going to turn out.

If you have photos of your landscaping, please share them here. I'd love to have some ideas about how a nice looking yard might look. Plus I'd like to do something a little less than plain with regard to the border of the paving stones and the planter areas.

It may be outside our budget, but we're also considering buying a pre-built waterfall-style fountain. (The hardscapers will install a base and the power outlet.) We'd also like to consider some kind of a fireplace or fire pit type of deal maybe.

Pictures and recommendations, please!

Browsing through houzz gives you inspiration. Check out this yard design.. It's simple and modern
http://www.houzz.com/photos/1609556/Modern-San-Francisco-Living-modern-landscape-san-francisco

socaltrojan81 said:
Browsing through houzz gives you inspiration. Check out this yard design.. It's simple and modern
http://www.houzz.com/photos/1609556/Modern-San-Francisco-Living-modern-landscape-san-francisco

modern-landscape.jpg

I love the bamboo. Always thought it'd be nice and now I think it may really be perfect. It doesn't take up too much soil space, but grows very tall and straight so it will block the view from our (very close) neighbors all around while still being beautiful...

lucky said:
socaltrojan81 said:

modern-landscape.jpg

I love the bamboo. Always thought it'd be nice and now I think it may really be perfect. It doesn't take up too much soil space, but grows very tall and straight so it will block the view from our (very close) neighbors all around while still being beautiful...

I heard a few things about bamboo roots. I love the lush green bamboo wall too! Gives a calm and peaceful look to the yard in all seasons.
Some people put buckets in the ground and grow the bamboos in them so that roots aren't that invasive. Look it up.. and if you find some favorable information, do share it on the board.

Any ideas on concrete decor? We have concrete in the yard. Sometimes I want to paint it, and sometimes I want to tile it.. or may be use those deck tiles on it.. easy to install. Anyone done anything pretty? Do share your backyard pics guys. Not the whole yard (knowing Irvine, that would be giving away your address!!), but may be a cute little spot that you are proud of?

Cubic Zirconia said:
Any ideas on concrete decor? We have concrete in the yard. Sometimes I want to paint it, and sometimes I want to tile it.. or may be use those deck tiles on it.. easy to install. Anyone done anything pretty? Do share your backyard pics guys. Not the whole yard (knowing Irvine, that would be giving away your address!!), but may be a cute little spot that you are proud of?

What kinds of heads are you guys using or all drip?

My sprinklers are every other day at 8 minutes.  At every 2nd day, the hellstrip lawn dies.  Backyard is 13 minutes 3X a week, less and the stuff starts to dry and die.

No clue what kind of sprinklers they are.. all I know is at scheduled time, the head pops out, and waters - just like the HOA's sprinklers :)
What kind of plants do you have? Any mature trees?

LOL, mature trees.  I have an out of control jungle. :D

We have a mature Valencia orange, mature navel orange, three giant mature 30' high Schefflera (Octopus/Umbrella tree), we have a mature aspen, mature hisbiscus.  Struggling apple, and a semi-mature Silver Magnolia, trunk is about 8 inch diameter.  The front has a mature 30-40' chinese elm trunk is about 2' in diameter.  The neighbor bordering the yard has a 50' deodar. cedar, trunk is 3' diameter, more schefflera trees. The other neighbor has mature mexican limes along the wall. 

Interspersed with the trees in the back yard we have a daisy bush (you know the cute little yellow daisy flower bush things at lowes and HD...
Bush-Daisy.jpg

But image it 5' high and 5' in diameter.

There is also a sego palm that stands about 5' high wedged in there. 

Roses beyond count, a lavendar bush that is now 5'x5' and a rosemary bush that stand 5' high. 

The ground cover has run amok with nasturtium, ferns, mint, various tuber flowers, asparagus fern, spider plants, some clump grasses, and a couple not know what they're called.

That's the back yard.  Oh, and a dilapidated green house and some other tree with big purple tulip type flowers.

And a roughly 8' round clear area of lawn.  And kidney shaped concrete slab patio that needs to go because the schleffera have invasive roots.

The front yard was redone by the landscaper and looks clean.

Back