How easy is it to transfer within TUSD?

pricedoutJay

Here is another question mainly for folks living in Tustin School District.  (I'm just wondering.  I'm not desperate or ready to move)

Within IUSD, I heard it's not easy to even do instradistrict transfers.  I heard moving out of Uni High or Woodbridge to Irvine and Northwood is easier since formers are full and latters are open.  But they don't allow interdistrict transfer at all.

In TUSD, many new homes are being built in Tustin High area.  New high school is planned but I think it has a few years to go.  So does anyone know if TUSD allows transfers from Tustin high school to Beckman (which has far better SAT and API)?  What are the conditions?  first come first serve, one to one exchange or not at all???  Thanks.

I would imagine moving from Tustin High to Beckman is similar to moving from Woodbridge or Irvin High to Uni or Northwood... difficult because of demand.

No offense to the OP but they should really ban transfers unless it's a special circumstance. And no, API scores isn't one of them.

Buy a house zoned to a school you want to go to like the majority of us.

bones said:
No offense to the OP but they should really ban transfers unless it's a special circumstance. And no, API scores isn't one of them.

I agree but nothing illegal that I'm talking about.  If a school has room for transfers, why not.  Also zones change.  Some folks in Irvine were quite upset when they paid a lot of money to be in Uni High but will change to Woodbridge this years and to be in Woodbridge just to having to go to Irvine High...

Also, transferring Woodbridge was not allowed in 2 years since they had too many students.  Northwood high has been open for intratransfers.  I would personally let my kid go to less competitive school and do better for higher ranking.  If you went to college application conferences especially for UCs, you know what I mean.

irvineorbust said:
bones said:

I agree but nothing illegal that I'm talking about.  If a school has room for transfers, why not.  Also zones change.  Some folks in Irvine were quite upset when they paid a lot of money to be in Uni High but will change to Woodbridge this years and to be in Woodbridge just to having to go to Irvine High...

Also, transferring Woodbridge was not allowed in 2 years since they had too many students.  Northwood high has been open for intratransfers.  I would personally let my kid go to less competitive school and do better for higher ranking.  If you went to college application conferences especially for UCs, you know what I mean.

Never said it was illegal.  Just annoying.  Your OP stated specifically Tustin High to Beckman transfer so low API to higher API.  I know a lot of homes in the Tustin Legacy area are sold basically saying kids can get into Beckman, first dibs.  But if I was a homeowner in the Beckman zone, that's annoying because sure, there's "space" until there isn't.  And then what, are they going to kick your Tustin High zoned kid out in the middle of HS? 

I guess maybe it's slightly more flexible at the HS level since the schools are bigger and classes operate differently but at the elementary school level, it sucks that sometimes kids zoned to a school can't go there b/c of overcrowding - some of which is attributable to transfers.  Recently, the BP principal talked specifically about not filling up every available slot with transfers... keeping some slots for newly moved families to enroll so I'm sure this is a common question/problem at some of the elem schools.

bones said:
irvineorbust said:
bones said:

Never said it was illegal.  Just annoying.  Your OP stated specifically Tustin High to Beckman transfer so low API to higher API.  I know a lot of homes in the Tustin Legacy area are sold basically saying kids can get into Beckman, first dibs.  But if I was a homeowner in the Beckman zone, that's annoying because sure, there's "space" until there isn't.  And then what, are they going to kick your Tustin High zoned kid out in the middle of HS? 

I guess maybe it's slightly more flexible at the HS level since the schools are bigger and classes operate differently but at the elementary school level, it sucks that sometimes kids zoned to a school can't go there b/c of overcrowding - some of which is attributable to transfers.  Recently, the BP principal talked specifically about not filling up every available slot with transfers... keeping some slots for newly moved families to enroll so I'm sure this is a common question/problem at some of the elem schools.

probably what would happen is once the school gets too full, then the transfers will no longer be allowed. I can't imaging they would let kids zoned to Tustin High to have priority for transfer if that means kids zoned to Beckman don't have room to attend their home school.  For example, IUSD used to allow Woodbury and Portola springs kids to attend  Stonegate elementary (this was before Stonegate build out). Once Stonegate got too full, they actually  kicked the Woodbury kids back to their own school (not just stop allowing new transfers).  I knew a family that sold their place in Woodbury and rented a place in Stonegate so that they could continue their kids at Stonegate.

nyc to oc said:
probably what would happen is once the school gets too full, then the transfers will no longer be allowed. I can't imaging they would let kids zoned to Tustin High to have priority for transfer if that means kids zoned to Beckman don't have room to attend their home school.  For example, IUSD used to allow Woodbury and Portola springs kids to attend  Stonegate elementary (this was before Stonegate build out). Once Stonegate got too full, they actually  kicked the Woodbury kids back to their own school (not just stop allowing new transfers).  I knew a family that sold their place in Woodbury and rented a place in Stonegate so that they could continue their kids at Stonegate.

IIRC, you were allowed to stay at SG Elem if you were past a certain grade.  But to your point, then that would suck even more for the kid.  You're now kicked out in the middle of HS to go back to your originally zoned school?  All these issues would go away if the whole willy nilly transfer system went away.

bones said:
nyc to oc said:

IIRC, you were allowed to stay at SG Elem if you were past a certain grade.  But to your point, then that would suck even more for the kid.  You're now kicked out in the middle of HS to go back to your originally zoned school?  All these issues would go away if the whole willy nilly transfer system went away.

I doubt Tustin legacy could sell very well at the prices they're asking if the developers couldn't claim that buyers can transfer their kids to Beckman high and Tustin Ranch schools with no hassle.  But buyer beware, there's no guarantees, and developers will say whatever it takes to make a sale, we've all seen that.

I've heard the builder tell potential buyers there are plans to open the elementary school and a high school years from now but they need to contact the TUSD to see what schools they would actually be attending. Never heard them say they can easily go to any school.

In fact, I remember someone here complaining they bought (or rented) in Stonegate and told they would go to Stonegate. Only after they moved in did they find out the school is full and they will be wait listed and would need to provide their own transportation to another school. The ONLY reason they were in the place they chose was Stonegate Elementary.

Tustin Legacy is selling because it's a lot less per sq foot than Irvine......... same as Baker Ranch.

Ready2Downsize said:
Tustin Legacy is selling because it's a lot less per sq foot than Irvine......... same as Baker Ranch.
Is it really all that much less? Baker Ranch doesn't have MRs, Legacy does.

My house with a full driveway was $327 per sq foot and that included preplots and BEFORE builder incentives.

The most similar product in Beacon Park would be $410 per sq foot without the downstairs office and one less bedroom upstairs, a couple hundred less sq foot and no preplots.

Property taxes? Yes, both have mello but since the base is WAY lower at Tustin Legacy, the base is less (not that I care about the base taxes since I'm taking my old basis with me). Not sure, but I THINK beacon park mello might be more for the home most similar as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong and Beacon Park mello is less per house.

Ready2Downsize said:
I've heard the builder tell potential buyers there are plans to open the elementary school and a high school years from now but they need to contact the TUSD to see what schools they would actually be attending. Never heard them say they can easily go to any school.

In fact, I remember someone here complaining they bought (or rented) in Stonegate and told they would go to Stonegate. Only after they moved in did they find out the school is full and they will be wait listed and would need to provide their own transportation to another school. The ONLY reason they were in the place they chose was Stonegate Elementary.

I just called TUSD. They told me that transfer availability is on a year to year basis, and no guarantees. Transfer availability is determined after giving kids zoned to that school first dibs.  This year he said that Pioneer is closed to transfers. He didn't know about Beckman.
To the OP, if you want more information, email Marc Eliot at TUSD. meliot@tustin.k12.ca.us.

Along a slightly related vein regarding TUSD education. I asked about the timeline for Orchard Hills expanding to more than grades 5-8. He said there are no plans to expand for next year, and the year after that is still not decided. All depends on how many elem age kids move in. So if any readers have elem kids and moving into Orchard Hills, please notify TUSD! I will be certainly.

Isn't Irvine, year to year basis? No................. maybe the other poster is wrong about kids getting booted from their schools in Irvine. Strange though, I heard the same thing.

Maybe the builder only tells people to call TUSD when I'm nearby....... not that it matters. I have no school age kids.

nyc to oc said:
Ready2Downsize said:

I just called TUSD. They told me that transfer availability is on a year to year basis, and no guarantees. Transfer availability is determined after giving kids zoned to that school first dibs.  This year he said that Pioneer is closed to transfers. He didn't know about Beckman.
To the OP, if you want more information, email Marc Eliot at TUSD. meliot@tustin.k12.ca.us.

Along a slightly related vein regarding TUSD education. I asked about the timeline for Orchard Hills expanding to more than grades 5-8. He said there are no plans to expand for next year, and the year after that is still not decided. All depends on how many elem age kids move in. So if any readers have elem kids and moving into Orchard Hills, please notify TUSD! I will be certainly.

But is it really that cut and dry?  What if it's the star basketball player? Student body president?  Captain of the debate team?  Are they really going to switch these kids mid HS back to their home school?

I think it get messy if your kid is a star player.  Unless a kid is legally transferred between two schools, the entire team can get penalized for ineligibility. 

This may be little different but transfers are very sensitive in high school sports because they don't want coaches lure better athletes from other schools.

However, if the star player student starts freshman in one school and his family moves out of school district, can the original school request the new district school to give him up and let the kid stay in old school?  I mean we need someone who's expert to answer this.  I tried with IUSD student service and they didn't help.  I asked one of the principal and was told absolutely no interdistrict transfer to Irvine unless the student is senior but nothing about being athlete or actually students who attending from different cities...

irvineorbust said:
I think it get messy if your kid is a star player.  Unless a kid is legally transferred between two schools, the entire team can get penalized for ineligibility. 

This may be little different but transfers are very sensitive in high school sports because they don't want coaches lure better athletes from other schools.

However, if the star player student starts freshman in one school and his family moves out of school district, can the original school request the new district school to give him up and let the kid stay in old school?  I mean we need someone who's expert to answer this.  I tried with IUSD student service and they didn't help.  I asked one of the principal and was told absolutely no interdistrict transfer to Irvine unless the student is senior but nothing about being athlete or actually students who attending from different cities...

Hold up. If your kid is a super star athlete, your kid should be going to private HS in OC.

Different note, we are waiting for your responses in the other thread regarding your comments.

eyephone said:
Hold up. If your kid is a super star athlete, your kid should be going to private HS in OC.

Different note, we are waiting for your responses in the other thread regarding your comments.

Hey, hey, hey.  Are you saying super star athletes don't come from poor family?  What if my kid is a sport super star but we can't afford private HS?  Are you saying my kid is not good enough?  Now I'm offended and insulted!!!! ;)

irvineorbust said:
eyephone said:

Hey, hey, hey.  Are you saying super star athletes don't come from poor family?  What if my kid is a sport super star but we can't afford private HS?  Are you saying my kid is not good enough?  Now I'm offended and insulted!!!! ;)

If your kid is really that good in sports, the private high schools will offer a "scholarship" - possibly housing and a stipend too.

irvineorbust said:
eyephone said:

You should already know private schools provide tuition assistance (Scholarships). I thought the goal was to get your kid to the next level, division 1 college sport. Also, depends on the sport your kid plays.

not all the time and often it's better to be in a great club team or travel ball team than a private school team.  Also some particular sports, private schools are in lower division or lower ranked.  Also the "trust" kids won't be easy to deal with for my humble, ordinary home kids...  Ooooopppps..  I made that insulting, generalizing comment again....  Doh!

Back