How come UCLA does not offer an undergraduate business degree?

panda

Anderson.jpg

I find it ironic that a top ranking public university like UCLA doesn't offer a undergraduate business program. I believe that one of the requirements to be a considered a top public university is have an outstanding curriculum in both Engineering and Business.

Every other top public university has a strong undergraduate business program like UC Berkeley has Haas, U Penn has Wharton, and UMich has Ross, but why isn't there an undergraduate business program for UCLA? It would be awesome to see future UCLA students to able to a get Bachelor of Business Administration from Andrerson School of Management which doesn't exist today. I think this is one of the reasons why UC Berkeley has a upper edge over UCLA since Berkeley offers both BBA and MBA degrees while UCLA doesn't.

How come UCLA doesn't have an undergraduate business program? Anybody know?

Last edited:
UCLA is a feeder school to the big 4 accounting firms in the LA area and they don’t have an accounting school. I always thought that was odd as well.

That is why USC is better school. They not only have a business school, but they have an accounting school :)

UCLA is a feeder school to the big 4 accounting firms in the LA area and they don’t have an accounting school. I always thought that was odd as well.

That is why USC is better school. They not only have a business school, but they have an accounting school :)
That is a bit odd that accounting firms would recruit at UCLA when the students didnt take a single financial or managerial accounting class. I think you can be an econ major at UCLA but i am assuming Anderson doesnt allow undergrads to take business courses there.

Qwerty did you study accounting at Marshall?

Dont you think UC Berkeley Haas has a solid undergraduate business program?
really the only UC school that has anything decent. I was economics at Ucla but mainly was engineering with a system, sciences computer science, double

really the only UC school that has anything decent. I was economics at Ucla but mainly was engineering with a system, sciences computer science, double
Morekaos, as an economics or business/econ major at UCLA, were you allowed to take any accting or business courses at Anderson as an undergrad?

If you look at the top 10 ranking of undergrad business programs none are from UC schools. This may confirm what you saying that UCs dont have a decent undergrad business program. I wonder why that is?

I took several basic accounting classes, but I finished the economics major in less than a year. My major concentration was in computer science, mathematics. Should’ve stuck with it. I’d probably be a billionaire today.🤷🏽‍♂️😂

They like to stay on the theoretical end of the spectrum.

Yep.

@panda Google says that UCLA has a Business Economics major. For a less theoretical business degree... I would send my kid to a CalState... which also saves money... a lesson in business savviness. :)

Last edited:
UCLA has a Business specialization that you can add-on to your major. That's what I did. I even took a couple accounting courses with the infamous (at least on the UCLA campus) David Ravetch.

Yep.

@panda Google says that UCLA has a Business Economics major. For a less theoretical business degree... I would send my kid to a CalState... which also saves money... a lesson in business savviness. :)
Do you have any firsthand experience with Business Econ or Finance major at any CalState?
My HS senior is waiting for college results right now and so far has a few acceptances from Calstates for Business Finance and Actuarial Science. No interest in going there though, so I am looking for compelling arguments.

I've have relatives, friends and coworkers from CalStates (Long Beach, Fullerton, LA, Poly).

From what I recall... it's always been theory (UCs) vs practical use (CalState) and that bears out in the kind of programs they have.

The most compelling thing to me is the cost difference between UC and CalState. I'm a big proponent of JC for 2 years and then college of choice... but if you are on a budget and must have them go to a 4-year program, the expense of a CalState and the practical education approach just seems like more value to me vs a UC for less than half the cost.

But it really does depend on the major, career choice and temperament of the student.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I've have relatives, friends and coworkers from CalStates (Long Beach, Fullerton, LA, Poly).

From what I recall... it's always been theory (UCs) vs practical use (CalState) and that bears out in the kind of programs they have.

The most compelling thing to me is the cost difference between UC and CalState. I'm a big proponent of JC for 2 years and then college of choice... but if you are on a budget and most have them go to a 4-year program, the expense of a CalState and the practical education approach just seems like more value to me vs a UC for less than half the cost.

But it really does depend on the major, career choice and temperament of the student.

Good luck!
Thank you!

went through this several years ago with my own kids, Cal poly SLO’s business school is loved by recruiters because they’re “learn by doing” technique Puts kids out there who ready to work right out of the box. UC turn out theoretical number crunchers and they usually end up in grad school before entering the work force.

Last edited:
Do you have any firsthand experience with Business Econ or Finance major at any CalState?
My HS senior is waiting for college results right now and so far has a few acceptances from Calstates for Business Finance and Actuarial Science. No interest in going there though, so I am looking for compelling arguments.
I was a Finance major at CSULB in the 90's. I would say at that time the general ed requirements were way too easy and not all that challenging, but once I got into the business courses they were generally very good, pretty challenging, and most of the teaching staff had real world experience. Some were financially successful and teaching just for the love of it. Still, any finance degree is probably going to drill a certain amount of theory into you -- for instance, Modern Portfolio Theory -- which investors like Buffet/Munger have argued is a fairy tale.

Also, I went to school at a time when the dotcom bubble was in full swing and that had the effect of warping people's views on investing, including many of the professors at that time. After I graduated, I had to unlearn much of what I learned and embark on self-education to learn how things really worked in the real world. It's hard to say what the dominant philosophies in the Finance department are these days now that I'm so far removed.

Another word of advice for any parents sending their kids to college... encourage them to get either an internship or a part-time job in the field they want to major in while they are in college as early as you can.

That will help them to determine if it's something they want to do and if they continue on that path, give them the experience they need to be a better candidate for that career after graduating.

Another word of advice for any parents sending their kids to college... encourage them to get either an internship or a part-time job in the field they want to major in while they are in college as early as you can.

That will help them to determine if it's something they want to do and if they continue on that path, give them the experience they need to be a better candidate for that career after graduating.
I was going to follow up with this. Long Beach was really good about encouraging internships and helping people get placed. Are the UC's good at providing internships?

The most compelling thing to me is the cost difference between UC and CalState. I'm a big proponent of JC for 2 years and then college of choice... but if you are on a budget and must have them go to a 4-year program, the expense of a CalState and the practical education approach just seems like more value to me vs a UC for less than half the cost.

I went to Fullerton JC because at the time my parents had limited funds. I pushed them to use their savings to buy their home instead of sending me to a 4 year university & borrowing money from my aunt. Funny thing is we actually drove to Irvine to look at houses back then, and my parents commented "these new homes are nice but this is in the middle of the farm". We ended up buying a townhome in Buena Park. :ROFLMAO:

By the time that I transferred to CSU Fullerton, I had found employment with a company that paid education reimbursement all the way to MBA. So my work ended up paying for my BA and MBA degree. 💰 The AA degree from community college paid off as it qualified me for the job.

Saw this on a web site today:

Irvine Valley College - Irvine, California

Irvine Valley College is one of the best community colleges in California, with the highest transfer rate to four-year universities out of all 116 community colleges in the state. Irvine Valley College graduates have transferred to prestigious universities like UC Berkeley, UCLA, USC, Brown, Columbia, and Caltech.

Irvine Valley College offers 24 transfer-focused associate degrees and over 100 additional associate degrees and certificate programs. Students who complete an Associate Degree for Transfer and meet the minimum eligibility requirements are guaranteed admission to six schools in the University of California system: UC Davis, UC Santa Barbara, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC Irvine, and UC Santa Cruz.

Irvine Valley College also has transfer agreements with private universities such as Chapman University, Brandman University, and Concordia University. Students who graduate with an Associate Degree for Transfer and meet the minimum eligibility requirements are guaranteed admission to a CSU.

The college offers more than $20 million in financial aid annually through scholarships, grants, and work-study. Additionally, the Irvine Valley Promise provides two years of free community college tuition for eligible first-time, full-time IVC students, along with bookstore vouchers, academic counseling services, and other career resources for Promise students.

Last edited:
I was going to follow up with this. Long Beach was really good about encouraging internships and helping people get placed. Are the UC's good at providing internships?
That's a good question... I should ask some of my friends who have kids in a UC right now. A few years ago I hired a UC student to work while they finished their degree and they didn't mention any internship program. I would hope they have some type of program now.

Last edited:
By the time that I transferred to CSU Fullerton, I had found employment with a company that paid education reimbursement all the way to MBA. So my work ended up paying for my BA and MBA degree. 💰 The AA degree from community college paid off as it qualified me for the job.
MaxROI baby!!

Back