Housing Analysis

eyephone said:
I guess we are even lucky to reduce income by contributing to our 401k. (If you previously followed the tax dicussion/debate that was on the table.)

I'd recommend contributing to the 401k to get a company match, then Roth IRA contributions (if you qualify), and then continue non-matched 401k contributions.  For all the self employed folks, max out your SEP IRA.

The only type of tax planning I like is planning that permanently reduces taxes. This is my biggest challenge with most government-qualified retirement plans. While most government-qualified plans are horrible for permanent tax savings, there are certain government-qualified plans that do work like the Roth IRAs and Roth 401(k)s. I don't love Roth 401(k) because there are still too many restrictions on them regarding investment options and distributions from them. But Roth IRAs can be a very good part of a tax strategy, provided that the type of investments that work in a Roth are also the types of investments that part of your wealth strategy. I will be honest; I am not a big fan of the education 529 Plan, but that is discussion for a different topic.

Kenkoko said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Not to you specifically but to anyone who thinks waiting would have been better than buying in 2016, last year or now. Posters like eyephone are giving advice to other members that they should wait because there will be a "slowdown" in pricing but how significant will those savings be?

I understand waiting for a home with a better location or floorplan, but to wait for a 5% (or 10%) drop in price doesn't seem to be that much of a savings compared to the stress of waiting and the question marks about where you will live.

I've been lucky to buy at a low point twice, but I also bought at a very high point and a middle point... and in the end, any time works out as long as you can afford it because if you purchase a good product in a high value area with demand, your losses will be minimal in case you need to sell and will have a good return after 5-10 years if you need to move up.

So when people say "buy now or be priced out"... I actually think that's marginally good advice (with the caveat of affordability) because it's better to be in and building equity rather than just hoping you guess the right lotto numbers and got into escrow on the one bargain everyone else is waiting for.

Just my opinion.

IHO, it isn?t just about waiting for the price to come down. Irvine rent is so absurdly low, it makes financial sense to wait.

I recently talked my cousin out of buying ($1 million home with 20% down) in Delano in Eastwood because we broke down the numbers for the cost to own vs rent. It made too much financial sense to rent. It would cost about $5000 / month to own when we added up HOA, property tax, mello roos, insurance, and interest portion on his mortgage. (not counting principal) On top of that, his $200k down payment would just sit there getting 0 return, waiting to capture future appreciation.

He rented the same home for $3550 / month. He can drive down the cost to rent to about $3000 / month If he just invested his $200k down payment into something very safe and low risk like a 3% CD for 5 years. In 5 years, he would have saved over $120k by renting.

How much appreciation are you predicting in the next 5 years for buying to make financial sense? Are you taking into consideration the 4-6% transaction cost when selling in 5 years?

@Ken

The thing that you did right here is your advice of not to purchase an attached condo in Eastwood for $1 mil. If your cuz is going long and planned to be in Irvine for several years or more, with the slow market is the best time to get in. I don?t get the psychology of over bidding while things are hot. If you serious wanting to buy, the best time is when all the talks of not a great time to buy. This will give you plenty of negotiable powers.

freedomcm said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Not sure if kenkeko took into account tax savings but I think you are missing my point.

Do any meaningful tax savings for owning your residence remain after the latest changes to the tax code?

I would agree that there are not. The standard deduction of 24k exceeds our mortgage interest and 10k State/property tax deductions.  We still get to itemize since donations get is over the 24k.

irvinehomeowner said:
Not sure if kenkeko took into account tax savings but I think you are missing my point.

Obv if your are on a renters budget, you are unsure of long term living in Irvine, or can?t afford it, then rent.

But if you have the financial capability, can stay for at least 5 years, then why wait? Like LL said, appreciation could make up for not being able to invest the down and not having to worry about timing has its own value.

Yes, everyone?s situation is different but I?m referring to those who want to buy and the only thing holding them back is conflation timing.

Yes, we did take into account tax savings. It is a rather small amount of saving. He is single therefore the max mortgage deduction is capped at $375k.

Maybe I am missing your point... I am looking for financial justifications for making the biggest financial investment of his young life.

Your point (as I interpreted) seems to be like the Nike slogan " Just Do it".

Compressed-Village said:
@Ken

The thing that you did right here is your advice of not to purchase an attached condo in Eastwood for $1 mil. If your cuz is going long and planned to be in Irvine for several years or more, with the slow market is the best time to get in. I don?t get the psychology of over bidding while things are hot. If you serious wanting to buy, the best time is when all the talks of not a great time to buy. This will give you plenty of negotiable powers.

Thanks for the advice CV. He was considering attached Delano in Eastwood and Obsidian in Parasol 3 level detached with elevator. Both I felt could be problematic when he needs to sell.

Kenkoko said:
Compressed-Village said:
@Ken

Thanks for the advice CV. He was considering attached Delano in Eastwood and Obsidian in Parasol 3 level detached with elevator. Both I felt could be problematic when he needs to sell.

So when Irvine RE skyrockets in the next 5 years, will you guys still be friends? :)

Liar Loan said:
People should invest in both real estate and equity.  The asset diversification will work to minimize their portfolio risk.

I definitely agree with that.

But I am seeing a lot of friends and colleagues, especially younger ones, stretch and buy at or close to max ability to afford. High home prices in Irvine really drives people to make real estate too big of a part in their portfolio.

bones said:
So family weddings could be awkward!
I don't know about wedding. I am already married and he's more concerned about adding more names to his dance card  :-[

Jokes aside, great thing about renting is that he's staying nimble financially. If RE market takes off, he can simple stop renting and buy.

Kenkoko said:
bones said:
So family weddings could be awkward!
I don't know about wedding. I am already married and he's more concerned about adding more names to his dance card  :-[

Jokes aside, great thing about renting is that he's staying nimble financially. If RE market takes off, he can simple stop renting and buy.

Did he want new?  B/c I feel like for $1m, he's got options that doesn't involve attachment or an elevator.  Like this one?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/206-Holbrook-92620/home/58555376

qwerty said:
I would agree that there are not. The standard deduction of 24k exceeds our mortgage interest and 10k State/property tax deductions.  We still get to itemize since donations get is over the 24k.

Here are some ballpark numbers to use when considering itemized mortgage interest VS standard deductions after 2018
Break-Even Mortgage Balance to Itemize
Single                     $280,000
Married Filing Jointly $560,000
Head of Household $420,000

bones said:
Did he want new?  B/c I feel like for $1m, he's got options that doesn't involve attachment or an elevator.  Like this one?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/206-Holbrook-92620/home/58555376

He does have options at his price range. But he feels he gets more bang for the buck buying attached (more sqft) and gets wowed by things like an elevator  :'(

He likes new homes mostly because he wants to be the 1st owner and feels he can select options and "make it his". I frankly do not understand the appeal at all, to me it seems like a male dog wanting to mark his territory. But he's also young, in his mid 20s. I have a terrible time relating to millennial.

He's also getting his down payment as a grad school graduation gift from his parents ( or bribe to get him out of their house as I see it)
It's not his hard earned money, so he doesn't mind paying the premium for new homes.

Kenkoko said:
He does have options at his price range. But he feels he gets more bang for the buck buying attached (more sqft) and gets wowed by things like an elevator  :'(

He likes new homes mostly because he wants to be the 1st owner and feels he can select options and "make it his". I frankly do not understand the appeal at all, to me it seems like a male dog wanting to mark his territory. But he's also young, in his mid 20s. I have a terrible time relating to millennial.

He's also getting his down payment as a grad school graduation gift from his parents ( or bribe to get him out of their house as I see it)
It's not his hard earned money, so he doesn't mind paying the premium for new homes.

i believe you answered your own question already  ;)

Is there really that much of a premium on new homes?

I understand liking new homes more, being able to chose your options is a big plus for me. The easier buying process is also a plus instead of being locked into bidding wars after bidding wars. Even more in Irvine where you can be sure you are going against cash buyer in most cases.

What are you guys doing still talking about Delano here?
You should've bought last year. Ya'll priced out!

@Kenkoko, does your cousin like living at Delano? Which plan does he live? Any pros and cons so far?

marmott said:
Is there really that much of a premium on new homes?

I understand liking new homes more, being able to chose your options is a big plus for me. The easier buying process is also a plus instead of being locked into bidding wars after bidding wars. Even more in Irvine where you can be sure you are going against cash buyer in most cases.
You are right that the buying process is much easier with the builder.
I do feel like there's a small premium. Usually end up doing some desirable upgrades that are crazy expensive through the builder. On top of that you have to pay for yard and finishing touches like window covers etc.

Back