Homeless camps coming to Irvine

Soylent Green Is People said:
Letters, FB, and Twitter hashtags aren't solutions. There should be some solid, deliverable alternatives, not only protests. I'm still convinced that either County land by Irvine Park (Jamboree/Santiago) or the Tustin Hangars would work best. Like all government initiatives, once they break ground, they ain't movin.... so if you don't want a hastily designed County compelled tent city, you've got to ensure they don't set up camp period, the end.

Regarding the structural integrity of the Hangars...pfffft. They can extend the hotel payments for another 120 days (something they will need to do anyway given the coming opposition and lawsuits), get bids by April 15th, and get to work shortly thereafter.  It may sound dumb, but if the repair to the Hangars is quantified early enough, and since the Sups have $380m to get the job done, I can reasonably assume that EVERY builder in GP/PS/etc will allow their crews time off the job to work on the Hangar repair. Ask yourself GP buyers, would you accept a 120 day delay in the completion of your home in exchange for a relocation to (frankly) a better spot for the indigent?

Remember how fast the I-10 was repaired after the last big earthquake? The same sort of private enterprise spirit could go into the Hangar repair. As long as you put a ball gag out for the pearl clutching environmentalists and historic preservation types, the job could get done within 120 days. This is all wishful thinking though, as I'm not clear who owns the Hangars. Anyone know?

My .02c
The hangars still belong to the Navy and are on City of Tustin land. The TL hangars are 2 of 4 built at the same time in CA in early 40s. The other 2 are in Sunnyvale/Mountainview at Moffet Field and Google spent $200 million in 2015 refurbising one of the Moffet hangars. Homeless won't be in the hangars because (1) it is not county property, (2) City of Tustin, which owns TL and has an interest to maximize profit on it, has no reason to put homeless in the middle of a City owned development, and (3) the County does not have $400 million to refurbish both hangars.

Thanks for that data.

Looks like Jamboree/Santiago is my current best case alternative site 2. Any maps of all County owned land - not just parks - available anywhere? If the parking garages near the County buildings are owned by them, even rehabbing those would be a faster, less intrusive alternative. Sure, parking in downtown SA would be difficult, but not impossible, should the County own a structure of that size.

It's going to be an interesting weekend at Cadence Park opening. Crowds? Check! Questions? Galore!

My .02c

why cant they build a community for them in outskirts like victorville or something similar.. where the land is cheap and they can grow as a community.

Not to sound mean, even though I'm sure it will, but the homeless would find the Bee Canyon landfill much more fruitful than an empty piece of land next to a big orange balloon. 

A landfill would be a treasure trove for those people...food, discarded valuables, and decor that matches the tent city. 

Victorville is not a desert now a days. Lennar and other  builders sell homes there. They can build similar with the surplus money the county has...

Burn That Belly said:
My_Alter_Ego said:
Not to sound mean, even though I'm sure it will, but the homeless would find the Bee Canyon landfill much more fruitful than an empty piece of land next to a big orange balloon. 

A landfill would be a treasure trove for those people...food, discarded valuables, and decor that matches the tent city.

So you want to treat them like dogs? and sure enough, they will act like dogs. Why would society enable and perpetuate the problem even further?

No, I don't want them treated like dogs.  I'm just making a point that there are way better locations than GP for a homeless shelter.  Unless you have a car, that piece of land is useless, unless you enjoy seeing senior citizens take walks and kids play soccer/tennis.

Looking forward to the new Great Homeless Park, featuring neighborhoods such as Needle Park and Tentgate!

My_Alter_Ego said:
No, I don't want them treated like dogs.  I'm just making a point that there are way better locations than GP for a homeless shelter.  Unless you have a car, that piece of land is useless, unless you enjoy seeing senior citizens take walks and kids play soccer/tennis.

jethrotull-aqualung-cover.jpg

My_Alter_Ego said:

Not to mention ID theft treasure trove.

OC Supervisors Lisa Bartlett and Michelle Steel want to move all 400 homeless to the Great Park instead:

"Bartlett also said she and Supervisor Michelle Steel will introduce an agenda item next week that the 400 people be moved to the El Toro Marine Base site."
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/...ss-now-exploring-legal-options-to-fight-plan/

Bartlett represents a portion of Irvine (Turtle Ridge, Shady Canyon, and Quail Hill).  Last night, she recanted her vote, stating "she, too, opposed the Laguna Niguel location but that she voted to approve the plan because she knew if she didn?t, the judge would immediately put Laguna Niguel at the top of the list. She vowed to help Laguna Niguel fight the plan to bring a temporary homeless camp to their community."

OC Supervisor Todd Spitzer represents the remainder of Irvine.  Last night, he pandered instead to the community of Laguna Niguel by stating, "he voted against the plan because he knew the Laguna Niguel site would end up being the No. 1 choice. He said Irvine?s litigious community would immediately file a lawsuit and that the ?methane-filled? Huntington Beach site would be found unreasonable."

Spitzer does not currently represent any portion of Laguna Niguel, but he is running for OC District Attorney in the next election.

It's funny watching all of these politicians doublespeak while they try to cover their asses.

Interestingly, 600 residents from Laguna Niguel showed up at their town hall meeting, while Irvine only had 60 who showed up.

Where specifically is the el toro marine base site?  Is that different than the marine way location?

harunkantheti said:
why cant they build a community for them in outskirts like victorville or something similar.. where the land is cheap and they can grow as a community.

Slab City in Niland is an area well suited for those who choose to be homeless because they don?t want to follow the rules.

Back