Homeless camps coming to Irvine

You do know I was kidding right?  But I do like to stoke the fire so I'll leave you to it.

Is the Irvine Spectrum within a 2 mile walk?  Will IAC close down the apartments in the area or build walls for their apts?  Will Woodbury Plaza be affected, do meth users eat?  Don't people from Stonegate shop there?  What about CV's shopping center, should be closer?  Don't the people in Northwood area shop there?  What about the Sand Canyon overpass?  Don't people from Portola & Stonegate use this on ramp and may see them congregating?  Less traffic on Sand Canyon due to homelessness would lead to more people using Jeffrey and getting more crowded as people don't want to see the issue?  Is Jeffrey Trail Middle School within the 2 mile radius?  I guess if they make it to CV shopping center they go by the school.

I have no doubt GP will be at the forefront, but it will affect others in Irvine at some point.

Burn That Belly said:
akkord said:
GP has higher MR and HOA so they spend it towards keeping the rift raft out
Homeless spread out as GP pushes them the other way and let's face it, each street corner can only handle so many beggars
Eastwood and Orchard Hills have higher home prices (wealthier) and lower MR and HOA (more money in their pocket) equates to owners have more money for handouts to the homeless
Homeless find out there are empty homes in Eastwood and Orchard Hills since there are so many FCBs that don't care and they head that way to squat
There goes the neighborhood  =D

Wishful thinking. GP's MR and HOA is going to skyrocket if they do exactly as you described. You already know how corrupt HOAs/city council is with money management. "Oh, we need to increase assessments on a yearly basis to counteract the homeless..." followed by property value declines... at that point GP becomes HP (Homeless Park) as you'll have a massive sell-off frenzy. The entire GP vision will go down the toilet. At that point, 5P will consider alternative measures (i.e. sell the land). At which point, TIC and the city will erect some kind of fence.

Don't think the homeless will travel far up into EW, OH, or even PS1. Their meth legs won't get them that far. If you're not already aware of the situation, the homeless at the civic center congregate and concentrate like roaches in that area because they are under protected federal land. Sure, a few will venture out to steal and prostitute their bodies. But traveling 3-5 miles by foot? ... wishful thinking again... I would say 1-2 miles at best.

The first things zombies do is infect surrounding areas. Cadence Park, CVE, Travata, Parasol Park will be ground zero. There is enough HOUSING there for them for many, many years. And I DOUBT these folks are procreating much to start families. Them drugs alone will cause pregnancy complications.

So yes, GP should continue to build as many ____ Parks as they can. These high-MR condos will serve as bait.

Let's hope the TCE groundwater TAKES care of the problem.  In fact, a city council executive order could be issued to DIG DIG DIG the GP soil as deep as 100 feet and leave gaping holes. Why? To let the TCE rise up to the surface and start contaminating the land and water, making it uninhabitable, to drive them out.  ;D ;D

akkord said:
You do know I was kidding right?  But I do like to stoke the fire so I'll leave you to it.

Is the Irvine Spectrum within a 2 mile walk?  Will IAC close down the apartments in the area or build walls for their apts?  Will Woodbury Plaza be affected, do meth users eat?  Don't people from Stonegate shop there?  What about CV's shopping center, should be closer?  Don't the people in Northwood area shop there?  What about the Sand Canyon overpass?  Don't people from Portola & Stonegate use this on ramp and may see them congregating?  Less traffic on Sand Canyon due to homelessness would lead to more people using Jeffrey and getting more crowded as people don't want to see the issue?  Is Jeffrey Trail Middle School within the 2 mile radius?  I guess if they make it to CV shopping center they go by the school.

I have no doubt GP will be at the forefront, but it will affect others in Irvine at some point.

Burn That Belly said:
akkord said:
GP has higher MR and HOA so they spend it towards keeping the rift raft out
Homeless spread out as GP pushes them the other way and let's face it, each street corner can only handle so many beggars
Eastwood and Orchard Hills have higher home prices (wealthier) and lower MR and HOA (more money in their pocket) equates to owners have more money for handouts to the homeless
Homeless find out there are empty homes in Eastwood and Orchard Hills since there are so many FCBs that don't care and they head that way to squat
There goes the neighborhood  =D

Wishful thinking. GP's MR and HOA is going to skyrocket if they do exactly as you described. You already know how corrupt HOAs/city council is with money management. "Oh, we need to increase assessments on a yearly basis to counteract the homeless..." followed by property value declines... at that point GP becomes HP (Homeless Park) as you'll have a massive sell-off frenzy. The entire GP vision will go down the toilet. At that point, 5P will consider alternative measures (i.e. sell the land). At which point, TIC and the city will erect some kind of fence.

Don't think the homeless will travel far up into EW, OH, or even PS1. Their meth legs won't get them that far. If you're not already aware of the situation, the homeless at the civic center congregate and concentrate like roaches in that area because they are under protected federal land. Sure, a few will venture out to steal and prostitute their bodies. But traveling 3-5 miles by foot? ... wishful thinking again... I would say 1-2 miles at best.

The first things zombies do is infect surrounding areas. Cadence Park, CVE, Travata, Parasol Park will be ground zero. There is enough HOUSING there for them for many, many years. And I DOUBT these folks are procreating much to start families. Them drugs alone will cause pregnancy complications.

So yes, GP should continue to build as many ____ Parks as they can. These high-MR condos will serve as bait.

Let's hope the TCE groundwater TAKES care of the problem.  In fact, a city council executive order could be issued to DIG DIG DIG the GP soil as deep as 100 feet and leave gaping holes. Why? To let the TCE rise up to the surface and start contaminating the land and water, making it uninhabitable, to drive them out.  ;D ;D

Agreed. It will have impacts everywhere. I have already started looking for homes in RSM area. Enough 

If I was homeless I'd be sleeping in the tents at night and panhandling at WTC and Old Town Irvine. Maybe CV shopping. Any place with fast food where they can ask for change while getting free refills from the soda machines.

If the tents sucked then I'd park my shopping cart in the tunnels at the Bosque or the one at JOST connecting to Eastwood. Probably the Eastwood one because there's no security to bother unlike at the Bosque.

Maserson said:
If I was homeless I'd be sleeping in the tents at night and panhandling at WTC and Old Town Irvine. Maybe CV shopping. Any place with fast food where they can ask for change while getting free refills from the soda machines.

If the tents sucked then I'd park my shopping cart in the tunnels at the Bosque or the one at JOST connecting to Eastwood. Probably the Eastwood one because there's no security to bother unlike at the Bosque.

The gypsy woman and her kid won't let you take her turf without a fight.

A Facebook group has been started to organize Irvine resident opposition:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/233987584004693/  if the link doesn't work you may try searching for "Irvine Homeless Camp Protest".  I believe $$ will solve this eventually, however, why chance it and not do as much as possible to oppose this.  I live in Beacon Park and would much rather have a cemetery close by x 4 vs. a Homeless Encampment... 

My understanding was they were going to put an Airport at the Great Park and that was fought off by residents so I suspect that organizing people that are in opposition to inform them of how they can help is the first step.  The following was on Next Door and I did send an email to the below four supervisors that voted for the plan which put me on a list that I oppose their decision.  Will it help?  I'd like to think so.  At the very least it gave me piece of mind to send the email.  I also called Andrew Do's office and they also took my name in opposition since the below note said they are meeting again on March 27th.

https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=78790403
"
Irvine City Council on County Homeless Plan
The City Council?s legal counsel will file a lawsuit in an effort to stop this unwanted plan. The lawsuit will be as aggressive as possible, to send the strongest message possible about the City?s outrage over the irresponsible action on the part of the County.

Please remember, the Orange County Great Park is a huge construction zone and it is normal to see signs of that work, including construction equipment and materials, throughout the entire parkland.

You are encouraged to contact the four members of the Orange County Board of Supervisors who approved this effort.  The Board of Supervisors will meet again on March 27, 2018 at 9:30 a.m. at the Board of Supervisors Chambers located at 333 W. Santa Ana Blvd., Santa Ana, CA.

Andrew Do, Chairman
1st District
first.dstrict@ocgov.com
(714) 834-3110

Shawn Nelson, Vice Chair
4th District
Audra.Fishel@ocgov.com
(714) 834-3440

Michelle Steel
2nd District
michelle.steel@ocgov.com
(714) 834-3220

Lisa A. Bartlett
5th District
Lisa.Bartlett@ocgov.com
(714) 834-3550"

Letters, FB, and Twitter hashtags aren't solutions. There should be some solid, deliverable alternatives, not only protests. I'm still convinced that either County land by Irvine Park (Jamboree/Santiago) or the Tustin Hangars would work best. Like all government initiatives, once they break ground, they ain't movin.... so if you don't want a hastily designed County compelled tent city, you've got to ensure they don't set up camp period, the end.

Regarding the structural integrity of the Hangars...pfffft. They can extend the hotel payments for another 120 days (something they will need to do anyway given the coming opposition and lawsuits), get bids by April 15th, and get to work shortly thereafter.  It may sound dumb, but if the repair to the Hangars is quantified early enough, and since the Sups have $380m to get the job done, I can reasonably assume that EVERY builder in GP/PS/etc will allow their crews time off the job to work on the Hangar repair. Ask yourself GP buyers, would you accept a 120 day delay in the completion of your home in exchange for a relocation to (frankly) a better spot for the indigent?

Remember how fast the I-10 was repaired after the last big earthquake? The same sort of private enterprise spirit could go into the Hangar repair. As long as you put a ball gag out for the pearl clutching environmentalists and historic preservation types, the job could get done within 120 days. This is all wishful thinking though, as I'm not clear who owns the Hangars. Anyone know?

My .02c

Back