Home security system

I have ADT and they didn't charge me for the equipment or for installation, but the monthly was about 45.00.  My main goal was basically to use them through the 2 year contract, so I can get the equipment and then switch to alarmrelay.com for $8.95.  I went this route because I didn't want to deal with buying and installing the equipment, but had I known how easy it was, I would have just bought a system and save a few hundred dollars.  The installer that came by basically mounted the keypad, plugged it in, stuck the sensors with double sided tape, and programmed it, literally a 30 minute job.  The system he installed was this one:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1489-lynxr2-kt100-honeywell-lynx-plus-wireless-alarm-system.aspx

Everything is contained in the keypad, the alarm brains, siren, phone module etc.  You may need to add the GSM module if you don't have a landline.

If you're comfortable with tinkering with the system, I would suggest just buying your own equipment and pay much less for monitoring through alarmrelay.com or smarthome.com.

gaogi said:
I have ADT and they didn't charge me for the equipment or for installation, but the monthly was about 45.00.  My main goal was basically to use them through the 2 year contract, so I can get the equipment and then switch to alarmrelay.com for $8.95.  I went this route because I didn't want to deal with buying and installing the equipment, but had I known how easy it was, I would have just bought a system and save a few hundred dollars.  The installer that came by basically mounted the keypad, plugged it in, stuck the sensors with double sided tape, and programmed it, literally a 30 minute job.  The system he installed was this one:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-1489-lynxr2-kt100-honeywell-lynx-plus-wireless-alarm-system.aspx

Everything is contained in the keypad, the alarm brains, siren, phone module etc.  You may need to add the GSM module if you don't have a landline.

If you're comfortable with tinkering with the system, I would suggest just buying your own equipment and pay much less for monitoring through alarmrelay.com or smarthome.com.

frontpoint is a DIY install. im not very handy and this was even easy for me. putting up the sensors takes minutes.

WTTCMN said:
qwerty said:
i use these guys,http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

they were around before simplisafe, almost identical business plan. i believe they do month to month as well, but if you sign up for a contract they will discount your initial equipment order.  the alarm door sensors from frontpoint are much smaller than simplisafe as well but other than that looks very similar.

at $15/month that sounds pretty good. the cheapest frontpoint offers is $35, then $42, then $49.

Researching home security systems so bumping this thread.  I am considering going with Cox - does anyone use them?  Have any opinions?

I priced them out against Frontpoint (a qwerty rec) and Cox is actually cheaper.  For 3 door sensors, 1 glass break sensor and 1 motion sensor, Frontpoint would cost $177 for upfront equipment cost and then $42.99 per month for monitoring.  For the same package, Cox would cost about $190 for the equipment (their base package only includes 2 door sensors and 1 motion sensor) and 32.99 per month for monitoring.

I wouldn't go with the cable company for an alarm system.

I highly suggest the alarm system that update you with emails and where you can log in remotely on your cell phone or computer to monitor and control the system. Irvine is not safe in term of home burglary. Expensive electronics, Asian suitcases, high end bags, jewelries and gold makes Irvine homes an ideal five finger discount swap meet. The security 11 point or less protection offered by alarm company's is never enough and is a huge waste of your money. The companies will give you the least expensive sensors possible and they are the window and door sensors Each device constitute a point so get the either the image sensors, motion detectors or and and glass breakage sensors to cover the entire room rather than 10 windows and door sensors.

Alarm.com has a app to down load on to your phone or you can log in to see what is going on inside your home at any given moment. For the husbands who work oversea or long hours and want to keep an eye on the mistress or wive the image sensor will give you instant snap shots of your bedroom, kitchen counter top, recliners, and garage workbench.

Happy alarm hunting!

Between the alarm system, the dropcams, the bats, The Bat, firearms and dogs I pitty the fool(s) who dare try to enter casa de qwerty.

Now you've got me researching my ADT replacement.  I was originally going to just go with alarmrelay.com and reuse the ADT equipment, but the interactive monitoring service seems intriguing to me.  Looks like Protect America offers a lot of what Frontpoint has for half the price (19.99/month), and no equipment cost with a 3 year contract.  They also use GE wireless equipment, so installation should be easy.  Seems to have good customer reviews too:
http://besthomesecuritycompanys.com/company/protect-america
http://home-security-monitoring-review.toptenreviews.com/protect-america-review.html

Regarding frontpoint - I skipped the window sensors and went with motion sensors and door sensors.  The motion sensors cover all the entry points (windows/doors). I've tested them and they work as advertised. I would only go with a cellular based security system so it can't be circumvented. I've never had any issues with arming/disarming. The app is pretty slick but I'm guessing they all are. I like how the system keeps track of all door openings so I can see how much time the nanny is spending outside. While I have the dropcams I'm not at my desk all day. It has that geo-tracking so if I leave and don't set the alarm the app on the iPhone will remind me to set it. It may not be the cheapest but it hasn't failed me yet. I'd highly recommend it but an sure other systems are just as capable and/or user friendly.

WTTCMN said:
gaogi said:
Now you've got me researching my ADT replacement.  I was originally going to just go with alarmrelay.com and reuse the ADT equipment, but the interactive monitoring service seems intriguing to me.  Looks like Protect America offers a lot of what Frontpoint has for half the price (19.99/month), and no equipment cost with a 3 year contract.  They also use GE wireless equipment, so installation should be easy.  Seems to have good customer reviews too:
http://besthomesecuritycompanys.com/company/protect-america
http://home-security-monitoring-review.toptenreviews.com/protect-america-review.html

Protect America's 19.99 plan uses landline monitoring I believe.  Their $30 range monitoring package uses broadband.  And their $40 range system uses cellular  Frontpoint only uses cellular which I heard/read is the best?  But I'm still learning? so I may be wrong in some of my statements.

Just get the basic alarm that should run less than $20 a month. For that price usually you have to have a landline. (Also, if you have a phone line through the cable company or uverse it works for the alarm) I noticed if the alarm sends the signal through wifi or cellular the monthly cost goes up.

Do a google search cheap alarm system $10 a month and there will be options to choose from. (Range $10 to $20 a month)

I think cellular is the safest, but the way I see it if someone cuts your phone line you have more problems then just a break in.

WTTCMN said:
qwerty said:
i use these guys,http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

they were around before simplisafe, almost identical business plan. i believe they do month to month as well, but if you sign up for a contract they will discount your initial equipment order.  the alarm door sensors from frontpoint are much smaller than simplisafe as well but other than that looks very similar.

at $15/month that sounds pretty good. the cheapest frontpoint offers is $35, then $42, then $49.

Researching home security systems so bumping this thread.  I am considering going with Cox - does anyone use them?  Have any opinions?

I priced them out against Frontpoint (a qwerty rec) and Cox is actually cheaper.  For 3 door sensors, 1 glass break sensor and 1 motion sensor, Frontpoint would cost $177 for upfront equipment cost and then $42.99 per month for monitoring.  For the same package, Cox would cost about $190 for the equipment (their base package only includes 2 door sensors and 1 motion sensor) and 32.99 per month for monitoring.

We recently went with Cox for our new home. I was hesitant to go with them at first given they are a cable company, and I've always wanted hardwired but the builder option is just ridiculously expensive it didn't make sense. GH is not comfortable with DIY so Frontpoint was out of the question. In the end, we went with Cox because of the price.

I'm not sure about other companies, but in our old house, when the alarm gets triggered, there's about a 3-4 minute wait before the security company calls and verifies. It was hardwired, no cellular backup, just plain vanilla home security system that costs about $25. With Cox, I think it's about $29 a month, with cellular backup and the response time, I would say a little over a minute, I got a phone call saying our garage door had a breach. (This was before we moved in). It was about 5am and the painters decided to come to work early that day. I was impressed at how fast they reacted. I also got text messages and emails that alerted me which door was opened, and since I didn't hear those at 5am, I did not respond. The email and text alerts come as soon as a sensor is triggered. For the amount they charged, and the service they provide, I'm actually pretty impressed by them.

Other than BK and Mrs. BK back in the day... I think GH and MrsGH are TI's only active couple posters.

It's interesting to get a perspective from both sides of the equation and hope you two keep posting on TI (belated welcome MrsGH).

irvinehomeowner said:
Other than BK and Mrs. BK back in the day... I think GH and MrsGH are TI's only active couple posters.

It's interesting to get a perspective from both sides of the equation and hope you two keep posting on TI (belated welcome MrsGH).

hahaha ... She used to ask me to post of her behalf before because registering account before was not as easy and she doesn't read TI that much before (she emails me what she wants to post and I'll cut and paste.  thus, you will probably notice in some of my earlier post that the tone is somewhat different -- that's hers).  I guess she's hooked now and decided to open her own account  :p

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:

That you know of. Wink.

But I agree.  Keep the husband/wife perspectives coming. And thanks mrs GH for your cox post. I am leaning towards them at this point. Found out equipment cost is actually even cheaper than what I originally posted and they are offering free install. I know install is prob no big deal but with a new house -
I'm DIY-ing plenty. Kinda nice to have someone come and knock it out for me.

True, the upfront cost is actually much cheaper than when I called them up initially.  In exchange for a 3 year contract, they actually threw in a lot of freebies and discounted equipment.  If you are going to go with them, shoot me a PM and I'll look through our invoice and see which discounts we got ..

WTTCMN said:
irvinehomeowner said:

That you know of. Wink.

But I agree.  Keep the husband/wife perspectives coming. And thanks mrs GH for your cox post. I am leaning towards them at this point. Found out equipment cost is actually even cheaper than what I originally posted and they are offering free install. I know install is prob no big deal but with a new house -
I'm DIY-ing plenty. Kinda nice to have someone come and knock it out for me.

I did ask one of their guys. They said before they rolled out Cox Home security to the public, they offered the system/service internally to Cox employees and relatives and tested it for 2 years before they offered to general public.

Equipment definitely costs less. With our builder option, each window/door sensor costs $100, with Cox I think it was $40 or $50? GH will have to look at the invoice, but it was significantly less. And they work and function the same way. I'd give this one to GH, I fought him long and hard on this one but seems like he made the right choice. 

Back