Home security system

Tyler Durden said:
This is why you get a shotgun.  You don't have to be precise with your aim, just fire and forget in the general vicinity. 
There is some worry about collateral damage here. If someone happen to grab one of your family members, you won't be able to use a shotgun to extricate them.
As for safety, why not just lock up the damn bullets or shells? 
Yes, but this also defeats the purpose of having accessible protection. If you need to take the time to unlock and load ammo, it may be too late.
If your point is to intimidate the intruder and deter them from making another move, a laser scope on the weapon will get the point across (think of the red dot on the soldiers in "predator"). 
Heh... this I like. Multiple dots on their important parts is a good deterrent.
However, i am of the mindset that if you pull the gun, you better be prepared to use it.
This is what I worry about, not everyone is a Tyler Durden.

Yeah I really like the laser idea. In the dark u may actually be able to get away with an actual laser pointer. I have to play with the dogs I'm going to have to get another one. Gun in the left, laser pointer in the right

It is mildly entertaining to see you all 'man up' about guns, but my point was that it is irresponsible to allow one's guns to get stolen by not having them in a safe, and thereby feed the black market, and presumably more crime.

in my opinion, if you lose your guns, you should lose your "right" to own one in the future.

freedomcm said:
It is mildly entertaining to see you all 'man up' about guns, but my point was that it is irresponsible to allow one's guns to get stolen by not having them in a safe, and thereby feed the black market, and presumably more crime.

in my opinion, if you lose your guns, you should lose your "right" to own one in the future.

Let's be realistic. A gun stolen here or there from a residence isn't going to change the fact that there are plenty of guns in the black market

I actually prefer not to have a laser pointer.  To me, it is a tacticool item that has no true home defense value.  A laser is too easy to locate the source (you) and if your hand is trembling from the adrenaline, it will show very well on the dot.  In addition it will be very easy for the intruder to see what part of him/her you are targeting so he/she will know what part he needs to get out of the way first if he/she makes a move.  I prefer a good tactical flashlight mounted on the weapon or in the other hand.  Although you can be located, it can blind the intruder from the bright light, allow you to identify and confirm the intruder (make sure not a family member getting water late at night in the dark), possibly confirm if intruder has a weapon, and possibly keep intruder from seeing what type of weapon you have or if you have others with you.

My 2 cents...

bones said:
this gun thread and then I see this today.  she looks like she would be right up qwerter/davenlei/TD's alley.  Blonde - check.  Lover and forgetter of guns - check.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...gets-ar-15-rifle-rental-car-article-1.1581154

yeah she is hot. she first gained notoriety when she was tannehill's girlfirend at arkansas when they showed her in the stands, similar to katherine webb, except Lauren didnt have a 75 year old guy drooling for her to create a national story, then in his rookie season the dolphins were on HBOs hard knocks and they featured her more than the players. while webb is better known Lauren has more money since her husband was a first round pick, will likely cash in on his second contract. Webbs QB boyfriend will be luck to get drafted.

got my dropcam pro tonite. that thing is great. thanks for the suggestion TD. the coverage is better than my current cameras.  i pay $15/month for the live video feed from the security company i may cancel that and get a couple more dropcams. ill use it for a month or so and then decide. but from what i can see dropcam is definitely superior to my current cameras. you get 14 days from free of the CVR service, ill likely get the 7day package. pretty slick overall. the camera is very nicely designed. almost looks like an apple designed product.

Heard about this company on ESPN 710 radio:

www.simplisafe.com

Their cheapest system is $230 (they have refurbished ones for less).

All wireless system, easy DIY with 60-day return policy and 3-year warranty.

To add monitoring, it starts at $15 a month (no contracts).

Is that good?

i use these guys,http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/

they were around before simplisafe, almost identical business plan. i believe they do month to month as well, but if you sign up for a contract they will discount your initial equipment order.  the alarm door sensors from frontpoint are much smaller than simplisafe as well but other than that looks very similar.

at $15/month that sounds pretty good. the cheapest frontpoint offers is $35, then $42, then $49.

Why would you need a security system to live in the safest city in America or send kids to private school when the public schools are the best in the universe?

irvinehomeshopper said:
Why would you need a security system to live in the safest city in America or send kids to private school when the public schools are the best in the universe?
IHS is late to the thread... I asked the same question a page or so back.

I think qwerchete does it because he doesn't live in Irvine. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
irvinehomeshopper said:
IHS is late to the thread... I asked the same question a page or so back.

I think qwerchete does it because he doesn't live in Irvine. :)

thats right. especially with that new park being built on valencia/severyns in columbus square that homer mentioned.  once i saw the soccer fields in the plans i told my wife that there would be all these hispanics playing soccer there. i dont mind as long as they have these guys cruising the park selling shaved ice

images-1.jpeg

ps9 said:
That sounds good right now, what are those colorful onion rings  on the end?

its just a wheat snack, you fry it and it becomes a puffy fried onion ring. this is what they look like before they are fried. they sell them at hispanic grocery stores so you can make them at home

9830.jpg

typically most people put a hot sauce like this on them with some lemon and salt

mex-grocer_2268_3952601

very similar to this that you can get at ralphs/albertsons, etc.

images

Back