Hidden Canyon in Irvine

hello said:
OC-Broker said:
Here's a good example of what you would get in NB for about $3.8M if you were looking for new construction:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/1833-Port-Ashley-Pl-92660/home/4718356  Better location, no doubt-- but less square footage, smaller lot and no view.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Unknown/17-Canyon-Peak-92657/home/5928670
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/4-Fairwind-92657/home/4749085
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/2-Peninsula-92657/home/4749065
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/11-Point-Loma-Dr-92625/home/4722708
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/23-Montecito-Dr-92625/home/4733692
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Beach/25-Seawatch-92657/home/5927594

All view homes with list price around 4M.  At this price range, its not unusual to get it for 5% and sometimes even 10% below list.
Now those views are worth something.  If only I had the problem of picking a house @ 4M with a view. 

Bullsback said:
Unless I had an Ocean view, I don't see what the desire would be to live in Newport. If I had a view of the ocean, alright, I get it, otherwise, the hell with it.  Pain in the ass to get anywhere and when the weather is nice I have to deal with the rest of the world coming to my neighborhood to enjoy the beach.

desire is personal and varies with every individual.  My only point was that if you are spending close to 4M in hidden canyon, there are much better alternatives in Newport beach with ocean views in a much more desirable location.  To simply... HC is way overpriced at 4M. 

I would pick a $4million house in Newport Beach rather than a $4million house in Hidden valley ranch.

The HC models are nicely decorated but when looking past the upgrades/decorating/landscaping they are just large tract homes.

At that price, I'm sure they'll get people who put money into the homes with built ins and landscaping and the tract will be nice but in the end they are large expensive tract homes.

Ready2Downsize said:
The HC models are nicely decorated but when looking past the upgrades/decorating/landscaping they are just large tract homes.

At that price, I'm sure they'll get people who put money into the homes with built ins and landscaping and the tract will be nice but in the end they are large expensive tract homes.
I actually tend to prefer "tract" type homes or at least the floorplans to the custom build homes. A lot of custom build homes are custom build to that person and are far less likely to actually fit my desires. I've walked in a lot more custom homes that I threw up at (in relation to the cost, etc) vs. tract homes. Now the upside of privacy, lot sizes, etc, in the more custom homes are clearly a major plus. 

To each their own-- but for about $1M less than all these listings, you can still get a finished brand new home with 20%+ more sf in HC . . . as long as you stay on smaller lot.   

Bullsback said:
Unless I had an Ocean view, I don't see what the desire would be to live in Newport. If I had a view of the ocean, alright, I get it, otherwise, the hell with it.  Pain in the ass to get anywhere and when the weather is nice I have to deal with the rest of the world coming to my neighborhood to enjoy the beach.

Exactly. Not to mention the $40k/year for each child for private school. But, I guess that's probably just chump change if you can afford a $4M home.

Villager said:
eatthis said:
But, having a unique product that really stand out clearly separated them from the crowd. Hopefully, this will push builders to be more creative and innovative instead of pushing the same old designs over and over again.
Unique? I don't know if I would describe the product at HC unique... a lot of Toll-Brothers-esque elements have been reused and recycled in the floorplans. I think what really makes the product stand out from the crowd are finishes and landscaping in the model homes.

TollBrother elements are reused but these are not rebuild of any existing TB products. More over, these features are certainly unique to Irvine. So, compare to other Irvine homes, they do stand out. Sales at HC, La Vita, and Ellwood speak for themselves.

hello said:
you can buy a super nice view property in Newport for 4 million.  Im not sure why people are dropping that much in HC...

You do realize that the difference between $3.3M and $4M is $700k, right? It may be just a decimal point but that difference is enough to buy a condo in Irvine. It could be that's as far as they can comfortably stretch their budget.

eatthis said:
TollBrother elements are reused but these are not rebuild of any existing TB products. More over, these features are certainly unique to Irvine.

Nah, unique to Irvine would be motor courts, no driveway, no backyard, tandem garage for 1 million.  That's unique to Irvine.

BUT HC homes still need landscaping, window treatments, flooring, built ins etc. That makes it way less than a $700K difference. Can't remember how much Caitlyn said the virtual pool was...... 140 or 170K? without another single thing done.

Ready2Downsize said:
BUT HC homes still need landscaping, window treatments, flooring, built ins etc. That makes it way less than a $700K difference. Can't remember how much Caitlyn said the virtual pool was...... 140 or 170K? without another single thing done.

True. But, come 'on. You'd have to be nuts to spend anywhere near $700k on COE upgrades. Sure, that infinity pool in the model home looks nice but do you really have to have it? Plus, the advantage of buy a newly built house is that even if you want everything you don't have to do it all at once. Where as that dream house in NB is all upfront money.

How many sq feet are the HC homes? The more sf, the more rooms, the higher the cost for upgrades. You COULD just get by with standard paint from the builder but buying a house in that price range is going to get most people to add bedroom feature walls (wainscot, wall tile, bricks, etc), built in entertainment centers, built in offices, very nice bathrooms, nice backyard with upscale outdoor kitchen, fireplaces, water features, driveways redone, nice hardscape, etc. All costs money and it's definitely a keep up with the Jones environment.

U want that HC home to look like a standard tract home............. keep the $700K in your pocket. If u want it to look decent, plan on spending a LOT of money.

If you don't mind your neighbors being like Caitlyn and you being like a wannabe Caitlyn, keep the cash and hope your kids don't invite any neighbors over.

Not everyone dress up their homes to impress people. when I did my appraisal, the comps from my neighborhood showed that most spent significantly less than 10% on upgrades.  Also, I have not met any fcb neighbors yet.  most of us are professionals that can afford but don't find it necessary to spend lavishly on upgrades just to show off.
Ready2Downsize said:
How many sq feet are the HC homes? The more sf, the more rooms, the higher the cost for upgrades. You COULD just get by with standard paint from the builder but buying a house in that price range is going to get most people to add bedroom feature walls (wainscot, wall tile, bricks, etc), built in entertainment centers, built in offices, very nice bathrooms, nice backyard with upscale outdoor kitchen, fireplaces, water features, driveways redone, nice hardscape, etc. All costs money and it's definitely a keep up with the Jones environment.

U want that HC home to look like a standard tract home............. keep the $700K in your pocket. If u want it to look decent, plan on spending a LOT of money.

If you don't mind your neighbors being like Caitlyn and you being like a wannabe Caitlyn, keep the cash and hope your kids don't invite any neighbors over.

irvinehomeowner said:
Irvine > Newport Beach

Why? The FCB Factor.

The FCB buyers are trimming away!! Fortunately, I have not seen too many of them the past 6 months!!! YAY! As far as HC, I recently after a few months drove by and saw these giant track homes with almost ZERO privacy and a practically invisible space between the neighbors :(!!! Ahhh, SO glad I passed on both lots I was offered. for 3,3 to 3,6 mil I'll take a Shady Canyon track home (much more prestigious) with ample space between me and my neighbor any day!!!!!

Back