Haggen already closing

eyephone said:
bones said:
aquabliss said:
Just put a Wal-Mart in there and be done with it.

Why stop there. Irvine needs a 99 cent/dollar store. Is there one in irvine?

Irvine company would most likely not even consider it.

Daiso is a 1.50 store...does that make it a high end 99 cent store, therefore okay for Irvine?

irvinehomeowner said:
Maybe OH is a good place for the discount Whole Foods concept.

#HalfFoods

Unlikely. They are targeting milennials and be "hip, cool, and tech-oriented". None of those words trigger irvine or orchard hills. First leases have been announced for silverlake, bellevue, Santa Monica, Portland.

Hoping for a Ralph's but don't think its likely. There's two already very close by at Tustin Marketplace and Woodbury Town Center.

Paris said:
WTTCHMN said:
qwerty said:
I wonder if TIC will sweeten the lease deal to get a grocery store ASAP to their Beverly Hills of irvine village.

Ironically, two upscale grocery stores have now failed there.  Perhaps a Stater Bros. would do better.

#OH-Value-Village

I wouldn't really call Pavillions upscale. Maybe if they do bring a truly upscale grocery store there like Gelson's or Mother's Market or Whole foods it will do better. What I really would love there is a Trader Joes  ;D

Just saw this article and thought of you (and the others on this thread) :http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/it-better-live-near-trader-joe-s-or-whole-foods

bones said:
aquabliss said:
Just put a Wal-Mart in there and be done with it.

Why stop there. Irvine needs a 99 cent/dollar store. Is there one in irvine?
The nearest 99 cent only store is on corner of El Toro and the 5.  One exit away from Hidden Canyon.

Has TIC put an Asian themed grocer in any of its centers? Most of the ones I can think of are in non-TIC spaces.  I really can't see anything but one of the large chains, but I think it will take a sweet deal from TIC for Ralphs to come (given how slowly Pavillion's worked). That said, if they get some sort of staggered lease increases / clauses in contract which will minimizes rent paid until OH builds out (or adjusts as OH builds out), it could work for both sides.

I am sure Pavillions presumed that was what was going to happen a lot sooner, but now you are looking at a pretty decent population covering the area by 2017 / 2018 (as I presume the next OH village will have started as well and the current villages will be built in). 

The first 99 Ranch is in a TIC center.

And yes, Assi was put into the TIC center in Woodbridge but that was a failure of demographics/location.

The Farmers Direct which is Asian/Indian/Middle Eastern is also a TIC center but that store isn't doing too well either (they've changed their layout at least 2 or 3 times).

Soylent Green Is People said:
We could use another TJ's or one of the newer Whole Foods mini store concepts.

I was just cruising around there this morning, checking out that shopping center. It's a nice lil' shopping center. I like the selection of retailers. Seems quite large, actually. I like R.S.M.

I stopped by the OH location and they have some good deals--almost everything is 20-40% off. Too bad they didn't lower their prices earlier.

Lol, well sort of 20% off. 

Bagels are a good example.  The store haggen took over by us was a Von's.  Bagels were 79 cents, which is the same price Haggen had them at until they raised prices about 3 weeks ago to 89 cents and then announced they're closing a bunch of store.

The primary difference is 3 weeks out of the month,it wasn't and there was either a just for you promo, vons club promo or sale on bagels and they where 2 for $1 or 59 cents each.

So the current haggen 20% off store closing price is still 20% higher than the usual price you really paid at vons.

iacrenter said:
I stopped by the OH location and they have some good deals--almost everything is 20-40% off. Too bad they didn't lower their prices earlier.

Only a few things are 40% off.  It's mostly 10-20% off.  And as NSR mentioned, even at 20% off, things are still more expensive than prices at rival grocery stores.

Honestly, the place is pretty depressing...  not many customers and employee morale is pretty low.  The rotting tuna and expired cheese and deli meats also turned me off.  I didn't know you could legally sell expired stuff.

Interestingly, even the fixtures are for sale - the lighting, refrigerators, shelves, etc.  I wonder if TIC is planning to scrap the supermarket concept altogether and replace it with something other than grocery.

nosuchreality said:
Lol, well sort of 20% off. 

Bagels are a good example.  The store haggen took over by us was a Von's.  Bagels were 79 cents, which is the same price Haggen had them at until they raised prices about 3 weeks ago to 89 cents and then announced they're closing a bunch of store.

The primary difference is 3 weeks out of the month,it wasn't and there was either a just for you promo, vons club promo or sale on bagels and they where 2 for $1 or 59 cents each.

So the current haggen 20% off store closing price is still 20% higher than the usual price you really paid at vons.

Also...Pavilion's Bagels were awesome.  Baked on site and fresh every morning.  Haggen's used an outside vendor.

Back