Grid Panels

daedalus said:
Obviously Mr. Z needs more tools.  Duh.

Nah, not a tool issue.  It's the same problem Qwerty ran into.  Some of those studs just isn't drillable.  They're solid as a rock. 

ZeroLot said:
daedalus said:
Obviously Mr. Z needs more tools.  Duh.

Nah, not a tool issue.  It's the same problem Qwerty ran into.  Some of those studs just isn't drillable.  They're solid as a rock. 
Guess I was wrong.  Mr. Z needs better tools.  Duh.  :D

Seriously, I have remodeled my kitchen, installed my own master closet, done every single bit of maintenance, repair and upgrade on the 2 homes I have owned.  I'm not an Irvinite, so these are older homes that need some lovin from time to time.  I have put thousands of screws into wall studs.  I will not buy into the statement that a wood stud is getting the better of a metal drill bit.  A knot in the wood is significantly harder to drill into, yes, but they are very rare...I would say less than 5% of the time.
Some contractors will put protective plates on a stud over wiring or plumbing lines.  They are not required, as the lines are centered on the stud.  I believe the hole can be 7/8" dia max, leaving over 1" of allowable screw depth, which is plenty.  If this is the case, then the row of studs will have the same plate at the same height.  Go up or down a few inches and try drilling there.
It would take me longer to gather the stuff I would need from my garage than it would to install these things. 

daedalus said:
It would take me longer to gather the stuff I would need from my garage than it would to install these things. 

i think Mr Zlot and me just got called chumps by  Daedalus :-(

ps9 said:
what kind of drill bits is he using?

Standard kind by Black and Decker ... Quick Connect ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00099E7W4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should I upgrade him to something else?

Those bits look ok, especially if it's just wood.  I wouldn't use the quick change adapter though, and make sure the bits are snug in the chuck.  Also what kind of drill is he using?

ps9 said:
Those bits look ok, especially if it's just wood.  I wouldn't use the quick change adapter though, and make sure the bits are snug in the chuck.  Also what kind of drill is he using?

The Black & Decker PD600 Pivot Plus 6-Volt Nicad Cordless Screwdriver with Articulating Head:

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-PD600-Screwdriver-Articulating/dp/B0000C6DXE/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1407617728&sr=8-21&keywords=black+and+decker+drill

I wanted a light drill so I can use it too.

Get a 18v with a lithium battery,

morepower.png

qwerty said:
daedalus said:

i think Mr Zlot and me just got called chumps by  Daedalus :-(
Not at all.  I wasn't being polite about getting better tools.  Any job I've found to be either impossible or unduly difficult usually has a tool that makes it much easier.  Not saying there's no skill involved, because there often is, but a better tool gives an immediate bump in quality and/or productivity.

I would install this thing exactly as you did Qwerty, except I'm guessing my tools would make it easier for me.  Magnetic stud finder for a quick find, 18V (or 20V, if I'm in the house) Dewalt drill for the pilot hole to pin 1 corner, a dedicated Dewalt driver to sink the 1st screw, a "good" laser level on a tripod to get it level, and then drive all the other screws home. 

I suspect the drill bits being used are dull.  They are consumables, like razor blades and driver bits.  Most people buy the coated drill bits because they are cheap.  For wood drilling I do too, but I buy in bulk.  Once the coating is worn off, they're done.  The metal substrate will not hold an edge and isn't worth sharpening.  For this reason I don't buy the quick change bits; extra cost for something I'll throw away and replace.  I keep sets like these on hand to keep my job site sets fresh and full:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_562307-67702-115209_4294613704__?productId=50138360&AID=10935405&PID=404255&cm_mmc=AFF_CJ-_-404255-_-403658-_-10935405

ZeroLot said:
The Black & Decker PD600 Pivot Plus 6-Volt Nicad Cordless Screwdriver with Articulating Head:

I wanted a light drill so I can use it too.

A 6V drill is not very powerful.  One of my 3 Dewalt drills is 12V (garage sale lot), and I won't even bother with it.  When I got my first cordless set, my wife wanted a small cordless drill too, so I got her her own 7.2V, but we both quickly wised up on our respective competitive advantages with regard to labor output.  E.g., she's not very good at carpentry, so lets me do it.  I can't stand painting, so I let her do it.

For driving screws, I can't say enough about this thing:

DCF885C2_1_500X500.jpg

It'll knock the lug nuts off a 1/2 ton pickup and I have driven 3/8" lag bolts 3" deep into the framing with it when building my balcony.  I used to rely on the "driver" function of my drill/driver before buying these, but there's just no comparison. 

daedalus said:
One of my 3 Dewalt drills is 12V (garage sale lot), and I won't even bother with it.

our drill is a ryobi 12V, perhaps that is the problem. my wife actually bought since she thinks she is handier than i am.  while im not very handy im definitely handier than her. but letting think she is handier has gotten me out of assembling various things since she will do it :)

ill have to look at that dewalt drill

Thanks Daedalus this is very valuable info. Getting the right drill and understanding that drill bits can dull is going to save us a lot of headache and time.

Now I finally understand the type of tools the pros use.

Back