Grid Panels

Well qwerty, how did it go?  Panels up yet?  I am rearranging my garage and am looking at another couple of panels.  Let me know if it was easy for you.  :)

ZeroLot said:
Well qwerty, how did it go?  Panels up yet?  I am rearranging my garage and am looking at another couple of panels.  Let me know if it was easy for you.  :)

The panels were not amazon prime shipping so they are not here yet. The delivery date has a range so it looks like next week. So it's looking like I'll be setting them up next weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Another alternative:

Sears has the Gladiator Gearwall panels onsale for $32.50 for a 2-pack.  In-stores are suppose to have a B1G1 free per Slickdeals so you'll get 4-panels for $32.50.

http://www.sears.com/gladiator-4-ft-gearwall-174-panels-2-pack/p-00921881000P?sid=IAx20050830x000545&aff=Y&PID=4485850&AID=11042411

If you get Max Points from Sears you can often times pick up the Gladiator hooks for free.  I bought 5 hooks and a ball caddy for under $20.  Gladiator 30" "welded" wall cabinets go on-sale for around $100 every few months.

Pic of receipt from Slickdeals

Sears_zpsf3cdcee7.jpg

here is a pic of of the grid panel i put on saturday. its 4 ft x 2 ft.  i have another one that i didnt put up. it took about 20 minutes to put up, i did it by myself.  found the studs with the stud finder, then used the laser level to get the holes lined up.  then i just held it grid with one hand and drilled with the other.

i pre-drilled the holes, but only through the drywall, then when i was hanging it on a couple of the studs i could not get the screw to go in, not sure if they had bracket plates for electrical or if my drill is not strong enough.  i only managed to get two screws in, it comes with six, three for the top and three for the bottom. but with two screws in the studs that grid aint coming down. and i dont have much on it. i added a fourth hook, the hand tool rack above the blower.

today i was going to hang the second grid and started drilling the holes, except this time i decided to drill the screws in in all the way to make sure i didnt have the same issue as yesterday, and sure enough, every damn stud i tried to drill through i could not get the screw to go in. 

Does anyone have any ideas why i cant get the screw through the stud?  i just tried screwing the screw directly, i didnt use a drill bit to make a hole first.  it does come with drywall anchors so worst case i could use though but would rather get into the studs. the plan is to have three panels side by side so ill have 12 ft by 2ft of grid panels.

28rp3ep.jpg

Pre-drill with the smaller drill bit.

So funny you have gardening tools, so you really do tend your own lawn. I gave mine away years ago, always hated adjusting the trimmer cord when it would get tangled.

irvinehomeowner said:
Pre-drill with the smaller drill bit.

So funny you have gardening tools, so you really do tend your own lawn. I gave mine away years ago, always hated adjusting the trimmer cord when it would get tangled.

yeah the grass is easy to cut, takes my 5 minutes with the electric mower. i havent had any issues with trimmer yet.  i dont have any drill bits so ill swing by home depot next week and get some to predrill the holes and see what happens.  thanks

You are in the honeymoon phase of home ownership. Once your kid gets a bit older or you have more kids, you may find landscape maintenance less appealing and sub out your "birth right".

If I were you, I would hire a non-Mexican white guy to do it... just to confuse your neighbors.

irvinehomeowner said:
Once your kid gets a bit older or you have more kids, you may find landscape maintenance less appealing and sub out your "birth right".

Your "birthright" is to get the older kids to do it!  That's what they are for!  If you don't give them lots of chores, what will they have to complain about to your grandkids?

qwerty said:
today i was going to hang the second grid and started drilling the holes, except this time i decided to drill the screws in in all the way to make sure i didnt have the same issue as yesterday, and sure enough, every damn stud i tried to drill through i could not get the screw to go in. 

Does anyone have any ideas why i cant get the screw through the stud?  i just tried screwing the screw directly, i didnt use a drill bit to make a hole first.  it does come with drywall anchors so worst case i could use though but would rather get into the studs. the plan is to have three panels side by side so ill have 12 ft by 2ft of grid panels.

28rp3ep.jpg

Nice job Qwerty!  Also the problem you're running into is the same as the professionals.  Which is why it took 2 professional men a total of 20 minutes.  lol

They drilled in all 6 screws into mine because I'm hanging much heavier items than yours.  They did strategically/randomly place a couple of screws because it wouldn't drill all the way in on the places they wanted. 

But overall, I think you did great on your panels.  I think I'll buy my next panels from Amazon too and have Mr. Z install it.  The next panels won't have the heavy items, such as bikes & ladders on them.  I'll let him install since you said it only took you 20 minutes.  8)

ZeroLot said:
Nice job Qwerty!  Also the problem you're running into is the same as the professionals.  Which is why it took 2 professional men a total of 20 minutes.  lol

They drilled in all 6 screws into mine because I'm hanging much heavier items than yours.  They did strategically/randomly place a couple of screws because it wouldn't drill all the way in on the places they wanted. 

But overall, I think you did great on your panels.  I think I'll buy my next panels from Amazon too and have Mr. Z install it.  The next panels won't have the heavy items, such as bikes & ladders on them.  I'll let him install since you said it only took you 20 minutes.  8)

thanks.  ah glad to know it wasnt just my lack of handy-ness and that the pro's couldnt drill all the way either.  yeah i figured i was ok with 2 screws since that stuff i hung is very light.  perhaps ill do a couple of more in some other places just for peace of mind.  if i could install them Mr Z shouldnt have any problems installing it. im as anti-handy as it gets.

irvinehomeowner said:
You are in the honeymoon phase of home ownership. Once your kid gets a bit older or you have more kids, you may find landscape maintenance less appealing and sub out your "birth right".

If I were you, I would hire a non-Mexican white guy to do it... just to confuse your neighbors.

yeah you are probably right.  ive thought about hiring a white gardener but lets not kid ourselves, white gardeners are unreliable, mostly alcoholics and meth junkies :) 

i thought about an asian gardener but then people would just think that its his house and that he is out there just gardening and im the servant.  so that pretty much leaves my peeps :)

qwerty said:
i thought about an asian gardener but then people would just think that its his house and that he is out there just gardening and im the servant.  so that pretty much leaves my peeps :)

That is funny. It reminds me of when I was in San Diego over the weekend. The Japanese Navy was in town. The sailors were smiling and waving to everyone on our Pilot boat, we were waving back. So, I asked Mr. SoCal if I should just go over and ask the Japanese men if I could have my picture taken with them. He quickly pointed out this a weird case of "Reverse Tourism". I just about died laughing.  :D

qwerty said:
ZeroLot said:

thanks.  ah glad to know it wasnt just my lack of handy-ness and that the pro's couldnt drill all the way either.  yeah i figured i was ok with 2 screws since that stuff i hung is very light.  perhaps ill do a couple of more in some other places just for peace of mind.  if i could install them Mr Z shouldnt have any problems installing it. im as anti-handy as it gets.

Mr. Z is installing the one grid I purchased from Amazon.  It's so far gone over the 20 min mark ... by a lot.  ::)

Back