Great Park - Solis Park

Danimal said:
sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
sleepy5136 said:
My point was never about IUSD. It's about how parenting > any school districts.

Doesn't that still favor Irvine/IUSD over Lake Forest/SVUSD?

I don't want to disparage Lake Forest but I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say there is a higher percentage of "good" parenting in Irvine than there is in Lake Forest.
My argument was never what school district is better. My argument is to focus on parenting more so than school districts. Plus, the smart kids actually don't even need to go to college :). That's why I laugh when parents always think going to the "best" uni matters. Then they wonder why it's so difficult for their kid to find a job despite going to a great school but so and so's kid went to a crappier school but got a job so fast.

I wonder why? :)

Except that part doesn't happen. If kids go to the Ivies, they're pretty much guaranteed a high paying job as soon as they get out of there vs. someone from a State university. You must be thinking about professional athletes, maybe?

The point is, all things being equal, IUSD > SVUSD.
No offense, but you sound pretty ignorant. No human being is entitled to anything when they come into this world. FYI Book smart != Life/Street smart.

Thanks for your opinion on IUSD but that was never the topic of discussion.

Your prev posts have been very biased for LF and anti IUSD.  If I remember correctly based on your prev posts, you have no kid.  Technically not in a good position bragging about being good parent and know what good for the kid.

Didnt you say or someone here mention that your parents paid for you to go to USC?sound pretty entitled to me. Last time I check, kids that go to USC are very entitled,  they dont need to do well or work as hard as kids going to Berkeley or UCLA. Just need someone to pay their ways for private college that anyone can attend with money.
I criticize the city of Irvine, not IUSD. I don't care about IUSD to criticize it.  I don't know why but it seems like the discussion for whatever reason became IUSD when I'm specifically talking about the importance of parenting.

In regards to my personal schooling, I would like to enlighten you that all of what you said about me is incorrect. Let's leave it at that.

Come on guys. No way this guy went to usc right? With all his philosophical waxings about ?education only gets you so far? and don?t overpay for education. It wouldn?t fit his narrative.

sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
sleepy5136 said:

I don't want to disparage Lake Forest but I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say there is a higher percentage of "good" parenting in Irvine than there is in Lake Forest.
My argument was never what school district is better. My argument is to focus on parenting more so than school districts. Plus, the smart kids actually don't even need to go to college :). That's why I laugh when parents always think going to the "best" uni matters. Then they wonder why it's so difficult for their kid to find a job despite going to a great school but so and so's kid went to a crappier school but got a job so fast.

Except that part doesn't happen. If kids go to the Ivies, they're pretty much guaranteed a high paying job as soon as they get out of there vs. someone from a State university. You must be thinking about professional athletes, maybe?

No offense, but you sound pretty ignorant. No human being is entitled to anything when they come into this world. FYI Book smart != Life/Street smart.

No, bro, you're the ignorant one. What does entitlement have anything to do with better school districts? Or should I say you're just envious of IUSD, being a Lake Forest resident?

The topic was exactly IUSD vs. SVUSD, but you somehow made it parenting > school district trying to defend SVUSD.

Oh wait. But he did go to USC :)

Is this where I say CalBears > USCSleepy?
(Useless) USNews says so, anyway.

CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
sleepy5136 said:

No, bro, you're the ignorant one. What does entitlement have anything to do with better school districts? Or should I say you're just envious of IUSD, being a Lake Forest resident?

The topic was exactly IUSD vs. SVUSD, but you somehow made it parenting > school district trying to defend SVUSD.

^ you said that didn't you Calbears? Sounds very ignorant to believe that people are guaranteed a job. No one is guaranteed anything in life.

The topic that others discussed was IUSD vs. SVUSD. I mentioned school districts is not as important as parenting. So if you want to discuss IUSD vs SVUSD, go ahead. But that's not my argument and was never my argument to begin with. And for whatever reason, all the Irvine folks are acting as if I'm talking down on IUSD and keep hyping up IUSD. Clearly did not read what I said initially and getting defensive on their MR that they are paying I guess?

bones said:
Come on guys. No way this guy went to usc right? With all his philosophical waxings about ?education only gets you so far? and don?t overpay for education. It wouldn?t fit his narrative.
Great to hear you think highly of USC. I honestly do not. So in that case, it does fit my narrative. Hence, "good" schools are subjective.

BTW I think it's hilarious how you're getting so sensitive and even agreed on my point. I don't mean to work you up but dang. I definitely got you where I want you ;)

sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
sleepy5136 said:

^ you said that didn't you Calbears? Sounds very ignorant to believe that people are guaranteed a job. No one is guaranteed anything in life.

The topic that others discussed was IUSD vs. SVUSD. I mentioned school districts is not as important as parenting. So if you want to discuss IUSD vs SVUSD, go ahead. But that's not my argument and was never my argument to begin with. And for whatever reason, all the Irvine folks are acting as if I'm talking down on IUSD and keep hyping up IUSD. Clearly did not read what I said initially and getting defensive on their MR that they are paying I guess?

I said "pretty much" because that's a fact. Fortune 500 companies are lining up to interview Ivies grads. I mean, hell, in my final year at Berkeley, we had hundreds of tech companies coming to campus to interview us and I was offered a job in Silicon Valley before I even graduated.

What you don't understand is that by getting into these Ivies schools, you paved the way to a great job. That's what I meant by "pretty much guaranteed". Nobody is guaranteed anything in life, but 16 years of hard work paves the way.

CalBears96 said:
I said "pretty much" because that's a fact. Fortune 500 companies are lining up to interview Ivies grads. I mean, hell, in my final year at Berkeley, we had hundreds of tech companies coming to campus to interview us and I was offered a job in Silicon Valley before I even graduated.

What you don't realize is that all those companies interviewed everyone from San Jose State as well.  It has to do with proximity and not pedigree.  Honestly I don't think anyone thinks of a CS or EE degree from Yale or Brown as better than a UC, especially these days.  Ivy's are for asian parents to brag about, not for employment prospects.  I mean sure if you want to go work at the NYT or write speeches for politicians it's probably better but for tech it doesn't really confer much advantage. 

big difference between the good University and bad University is usually the students from good Universities thrive under pressure, are likely more motivated and driven. It is not the education but rather their character. For new grads there is not much work experience or connection to lean on so those traits matter much more.

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
CalBears96 said:

What you don't realize is that all those companies interviewed everyone from San Jose State as well.  It has to do with proximity and not pedigree.  Honestly I don't think anyone thinks of a CS or EE degree from Yale or Brown as better than a UC, especially these days.  Ivy's are for asian parents to brag about, not for employment prospects.  I mean sure if you want to go work at the NYT or write speeches for politicians it's probably better but for tech it doesn't really confer much advantage.

Local ones, perhaps. But I doubt that companies from Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and even SoCal sent representatives to San Jose State for interviews. They all came to Cal.

And I was just referring to Ivies in general fields. In EE/CS, of course parents would try to send their kids to MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA... not San Jose State.

Let?s get into the UCs first. El Toro in lake forest (BR zoned school) got 3 kids into Cal in 2021. Portola high had 42. Similar grad class size. El Toros may be bigger.

yup thats the difference between UC and Cal State. or between getting a job offer from companies like FAANG vs a job offer from Raytheon.

bones said:
Let?s get into the UCs first. El Toro in lake forest (BR zoned school) got 3 kids into Cal in 2021. Portola high had 42. Similar grad class size. El Toros may be bigger.

The California Court Company said:
yup thats the difference between UC and Cal State. or between getting a job offer from companies like FAANG vs a job offer from Raytheon.

bones said:

The numbers are not great for El Toro. 52 applied to Cal and 3 got in for a 5% admit rate - that's some elite Ivy league acceptance rates right there, yikes. Conversely, 208 applied and 42 got in for Portola - that's 20% and higher than Cal's overall accept rate.

bones said:

bones said:

The numbers are not great for El Toro. 52 applied to Cal and 3 got in for a 5% admit rate - that's some elite Ivy league acceptance rates right there, yikes. Conversely, 208 applied and 42 got in for Portola - that's 20% and higher than Cal's overall accept rate.
because success is defined by the university one went to right? Do you even know off the top of your head what college each of your colleagues went to? If you know, good job. Too bad no one cares what school you went to after one graduates. That's been my point but it seems like you are so fixated about what uni a kid goes to. As if one that doesn't get into an ivy will be screwed for the rest of their life and will not be able to be "successful". Please.

sleepy5136 said:
bones said:

bones said:

because success is defined by the university one went to right? Do you even know off the top of your head what college each of your colleagues went to? If you know, good job. Too bad no one cares what school you went to after one graduates. That's been my point but it seems like you are so fixated about what uni a kid goes to. As if one that doesn't get into an ivy will be screwed for the rest of their life and will not be able to be "successful". Please.

Too bad you're really wrong about that.  Everyone cares about what school you went to after you graduate. It's only when you interview for your second job that they look less at your school and your work experience. How do you differentiate between two candidates with no work experience? EDUCATION, of course.

No one is saying that you'll be screwed for the rest of your life if you don't go to a good university. The point is, if you go to a good university, you get the advantage when applying for your first job. This is a fact. It's like you don't live in reality.

CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:

bones said:

Too bad you're really wrong about that.  Everyone cares about what school you went to after you graduate. It's only when you interview for your second job that they look less at your school and your work experience. How do you differentiate between two candidates with no work experience? EDUCATION, of course.

No one is saying that you'll be screwed for the rest of your life if you don't go to a good university. The point is, if you go to a good university, you get the advantage when applying for your first job. This is a fact. It's like you don't live in reality.
Nope, when I interview entry level candidates, I look for solid fundamentals. If both have solid fundamentals, I then look at whether or not I would enjoy working with the person and also if they have the grit. Also how effectively they communicate. Not what school they came from. And TBH that?s interview bias if you look at where they came from. Probably sure you can get in trouble for that if you say that to HR :)

Some ivy kids have big egos and the last thing I want in my team is some kid that thinks they know crap when they don?t. This is where parenting comes into play and can ultimately lead to getting an offer without an ?ivy? degree. Again, no one cares. If you don?t agree, let?s agree to disagree.

When I worked as a corporate controller, as long as they didn't go to Devry or Univ. of Phoenix I really didn't care what college they went to.  Maybe small brownie points if they went to USC or UCLA but I looked for 3 things...1) Had the relevant experience/degree/knowledge for the position, 2) Would be a good fit for accounting team, and 3) They had "fire in the belly" and wanted to learn.

sleepy5136 said:
bones said:

bones said:

Did I use the Ivies as an example above? I'm so confused by your replies sometimes. I think I typed CAL. And, no I'm actually not concerned so I never looked up these stats until this thread piqued my curiosity. When you buy a house, you look into things like schools (if you have kids, I suppose) and how do you measure schools... by statistics like this, among many other things. If you want to live in Serrano Summit and go to El Toro versus Portola Springs or GP and go to Portola High, then that's obviously a parenting and lifestyle choice but that doesn't change these stats. Where you go to school may not affect YOU individually but the broader stats indicate that it does.

It's nice that we all whip out our personal anecdotes when we talk about education because they're so relevant to everyone else... so here's mine. I know exactly where all my current and former colleagues went to school because the firms I work for only hire from a small group of colleges. There are obviously exceptions: nepotism, someone doing a favor for someone else, the usual corporate stuff.

But since you brought up the Ivies, they're actually a pretty good deal $ wise. Very generous aid packages for most of its admits. Princeton graduates 84% with no debt. Yale, 86%. I don't know why we would shit on a great education at that type of cost. Max ROI!!!

bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:

bones said:

Did I use the Ivies as an example above? I'm so confused by your replies sometimes. I think I typed CAL. And, no I'm actually not concerned so I never looked up these stats until this thread piqued my curiosity. When you buy a house, you look into things like schools (if you have kids, I suppose) and how do you measure schools... by statistics like this, among many other things. If you want to live in Serrano Summit and go to El Toro versus Portola Springs or GP and go to Portola High, then that's obviously a parenting and lifestyle choice but that doesn't change these stats. Where you go to school may not affect YOU individually but the broader stats indicate that it does.

It's nice that we all whip out our personal anecdotes when we talk about education because they're so relevant to everyone else... so here's mine. I know exactly where all my current and former colleagues went to school because the firms I work for only hire from a small group of colleges. There are obviously exceptions: nepotism, someone doing a favor for someone else, the usual corporate stuff.

But since you brought up the Ivies, they're actually a pretty good deal $ wise. Very generous aid packages for most of its admits. Princeton graduates 84% with no debt. Yale, 86%. I don't know why we would shit on a great education at that type of cost. Max ROI!!!
I will say this. Let's agree to disagree. Here's another fact for you. A bunch of co-founders in Silicon Valley did not go to college. So there ya go. I see both sides to the argument but in the end, everyone is different and I believe we all brought different angles to the discussion. Let's give the solis park discussion back :)

I don't think nowadays what school you went to is as important as it once was. Years past, yes but I don't think its a big driver in today's world.

Back