Great Park - Solis Park

bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
CalBears96 said:
PSbuyer said:
Stopped by the Pulte homes sales office, possible prison breaks aside I was told this will be the last GP neighborhood that will be part of IUSD, the neighborhood after will be Lake Forest. It?s also located right in between Solis park elementary and Portola HS and walkable which is super convenient.

Is that their way to incentivize you to buy? Last one to be part of IUSD.  ;D

I mean yea? The Lake Forest schools are just not... great. Not that IUSD is phenomenal but at least at IUSD, you get some general baseline.
School = overrated
Parenting = underrated

Lol. Staunch defender of lake forest schools. Do you even have kids?
Nothing to defend. Just speaking from experience. Has nothing to do with what city you are in really. Don't get defensive. I'm not knocking Irvine for having great or bad schools. ;)

I say it a million times but how many ways are there to calculate a derivative or an integral? How often are you going to actually use it in your job? How beneficial is having the latest and greatest facilities going to help by having a "better" education? In the end, it's all about how you are raised and how you conduct yourself as a person. The gritty mindset or lack there of can also be an indicator of future success. Education can only take you so far in life. Sure it's important, but I would argue being able to handle difficult circumstances/situations, building/growing relationships, using failures as motivation to do better, etc is even more important. Do they teach you that in school? Maybe? But definitely something that you most likely will learn as you get older and not necessarily in school.

sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
CalBears96 said:
PSbuyer said:
Stopped by the Pulte homes sales office, possible prison breaks aside I was told this will be the last GP neighborhood that will be part of IUSD, the neighborhood after will be Lake Forest. It?s also located right in between Solis park elementary and Portola HS and walkable which is super convenient.

I mean yea? The Lake Forest schools are just not... great. Not that IUSD is phenomenal but at least at IUSD, you get some general baseline.
School = overrated
Parenting = underrated

Nothing to defend. Just speaking from experience. Has nothing to do with what city you are in really. Don't get defensive. I'm not knocking Irvine for having great or bad schools. ;)

I say it a million times but how many ways are there to calculate a derivative or an integral? How often are you going to actually use it in your job? How beneficial is having the latest and greatest facilities going to help by having a "better" education? In the end, it's all about how you are raised and how you conduct yourself as a person. The gritty mindset or lack there of can also be an indicator of future success. Education can only take you so far in life. Sure it's important, but I would argue being able to handle difficult circumstances/situations, building/growing relationships, using failures as motivation to do better, etc is even more important. Do they teach you that in school? Maybe? But definitely something that you most likely will learn as you get older and not necessarily in school.

You're missing the point of the ranking of school districts. All of the bolded part is absolutely irrelevant. The ranking of the school districts gets you into a better university, like the Ivies for most Irvine parents. Has nothing to do with future success in career.

Too lazy to quote. But this is essentially the classic ?when are you ever going to use Calculus argument?. Sleepy must be a big fan of the proposed California math framework. The funny thing is, I don?t disagree with most of what you?re saying - I just don?t think we agree on what it takes to get to be all those things. And man, it would suck if you couldn?t be that parent to give your kids all that. Don?t put too much pressure on yourself :)

And none of this changes the original point: IUSD > lake forest public school offerings. So yes, GP Solis marketing itself as the last IUSD GP hood is fair.

bones said:
Too lazy to quote. But this is essentially the classic ?when are you ever going to use Calculus argument?. Sleepy must be a big fan of the proposed California math framework. The funny thing is, I don?t disagree with most of what you?re saying - I just don?t think we agree on what it takes to get to be all those things. And man, it would suck if you couldn?t be that parent to give your kids all that. Don?t put too much pressure on yourself :)

And none of this changes the original point: IUSD > lake forest public school offerings. So yes, GP Solis marketing itself as the last IUSD GP hood is fair.

For the delta between Lake Forest and Irvine prices (especially GP with mello roos) you could likely hire a graduate math student to tutor your kid four days a week, no?

ThirtySomethingWEquity said:
bones said:

For the delta between Lake Forest and Irvine prices (especially GP with mello roos) you could likely hire a graduate math student to tutor your kid four daysr a week, no?

Yes, except we are talking SVUSD zoned GP versus IUSD zoned GP here. Or are you saying there will be a steep discount for the lake forest zoned schools and no MR?

CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
CalBears96 said:
PSbuyer said:

School = overrated
Parenting = underrated

You're missing the point of the ranking of school districts. All of the bolded part is absolutely irrelevant. The ranking of the school districts gets you into a better university, like the Ivies for most Irvine parents. Has nothing to do with future success in career.
Not true at all. Hawaii has probably the worse school districts in the country. People still get into good schools. "Good" however is subjective. Also, there is a quota for each school I believe or someone mentioned it in the Education section of the forum. If you're looking to get into an ivy league, you best not put your kid in Irvine as your kid is competing with a bunch of other smart kids.

You're also in tech, you know tech companies rarely even look at what university you come from. So who the hell cares what uni you came from? I've interviewed and worked with ivy league students that are great and I've had some that were horrible.

Also, I never argued about IUSD being better or worse or even its ranking. I don't give a crap about rankings as it's completely overrated. Focus on how you raise your kid instead of rankings. No one cares where you went to school TBH.

bones said:

My point was never about IUSD. It's about how parenting > any school districts.

sleepy5136 said:
bones said:

Funny you decide to do that here, in an Irvine real estate thread, when the words "lake forest schools" were mentioned. Must be a coincidence - did you and the lake forest equity guy plan it?

sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
CalBears96 said:
PSbuyer said:

School = overrated
Parenting = underrated

Not true at all. Hawaii has probably the worse school districts in the country. People still get into good schools. "Good" however is subjective.
Seriously? That's your argument?

Are you saying that the same % of students from IUSD and SVUSD get accepted to Ivies? Just because "some" students from Hawaii get into good school doesn't mean that better school districts don't give you better chance to get into better schools.

And no, "good" is absolutely not subjective. If that's the case, then why do people want to go to the Ivies instead of Cal State schools?  Or just to keep it simple, UC over CSU.

There's an order to things. Good school districts give you better chance at better universities. Better universities give you a better chance at landing a good job.

CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
CalBears96 said:
PSbuyer said:

School = overrated
Parenting = underrated

Not true at all. Hawaii has probably the worse school districts in the country. People still get into good schools. "Good" however is subjective.
Seriously? That's your argument?

Are you saying that the same % of students from IUSD and SVUSD get accepted to Ivies? Just because "some" students from Hawaii get into good school doesn't mean that better school districts don't give you better chance to get into better schools.

And no, "good" is absolutely not subjective. If that's the case, then why do people want to go to the Ivies instead of Cal State schools?  Or just to keep it simple, UC over CSU.

There's an order to things. Good school districts give you better chance at better universities. Better universities give you a better chance at landing a good job.
Nope, quotas exist.

bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:

Funny you decide to do that here, in an Irvine real estate thread, when the words "lake forest schools" were mentioned. Must be a coincidence - did you and the lake forest equity guy plan it?
I got you where I want you didn't I :)

LOL. IUSD definitely sends more kids to the Ivies than Lake Forest schools as a percentage. But maybe that will change now that some of the Irvine demo has moved to LF.... the ones with the good parents :)

sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:

You sure did! This was fun - I come onto TI once in a blue moon - knew that "bashing" LF schools would bring out the LF defenders: sleepyequity.

bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:
sleepy5136 said:
bones said:

You sure did! This was fun - I come onto TI once in a blue moon - knew that "bashing" LF schools would bring out the LF defenders: sleepyequity.
It's funny you think that. Seems like you didn't read my comment thoroughly. Funny how not even bashing IUSD got you sensitive eh? Can't imagine what you would say or feel if I were to actually bash IUSD. ;)

sleepy5136 said:

Doesn't that still favor Irvine/IUSD over Lake Forest/SVUSD?

I don't want to disparage Lake Forest but I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say there is a higher percentage of "good" parenting in Irvine than there is in Lake Forest.

irvinehomeowner said:
sleepy5136 said:

I don't want to disparage Lake Forest but I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say there is a higher percentage of "good" parenting in Irvine than there is in Lake Forest.
My argument was never what school district is better. My argument is to focus on parenting more so than school districts. Plus, the smart kids actually don't even need to go to college :). That's why I laugh when parents always think going to the "best" uni matters. Then they wonder why it's so difficult for their kid to find a job despite going to a great school but so and so's kid went to a crappier school but got a job so fast.

I wonder why? :)

sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
sleepy5136 said:

My argument was never what school district is better. My argument is to focus on parenting more so than school districts. Plus, the smart kids actually don't even need to go to college :). That's why I laugh when parents always think going to the "best" uni matters. Then they wonder why it's so difficult for their kid to find a job despite going to a great school but so and so's kid went to a crappier school but got a job so fast.

Except that part doesn't happen. If kids go to the Ivies, they're pretty much guaranteed a high paying job as soon as they get out of there vs. someone from a State university. You must be thinking about professional athletes, maybe?

The point is, all things being equal, IUSD > SVUSD.

CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
sleepy5136 said:

Except that part doesn't happen. If kids go to the Ivies, they're pretty much guaranteed a high paying job as soon as they get out of there vs. someone from a State university. You must be thinking about professional athletes, maybe?

No offense, but you sound pretty ignorant. No human being is entitled to anything when they come into this world. FYI Book smart != Life/Street smart.

Thanks for your opinion on IUSD but that was never the topic of discussion.

if parenting matters, does it make sense to have two working parents to afford house price in IUSD vs one working parent for LFUSD so the other parent can stay home and spend more time with the kids?

sleepy5136 said:
CalBears96 said:
sleepy5136 said:
irvinehomeowner said:
sleepy5136 said:

No offense, but you sound pretty ignorant. No human being is entitled to anything when they come into this world. FYI Book smart != Life/Street smart.

Thanks for your opinion on IUSD but that was never the topic of discussion.

Your prev posts have been very biased for LF and anti IUSD.  If I remember correctly based on your prev posts, you have no kid.  Technically not in a good position bragging about being good parent and know what good for the kid.

Didnt you say or someone here mention that your parents paid for you to go to USC?sound pretty entitled to me. Last time I check, kids that go to USC are very entitled,  they dont need to do well or work as hard as kids going to Berkeley or UCLA. Just need someone to pay their ways for private college that anyone can attend with money.

Back