Good restaurants in the General Irvine Area

For sushi, I emphatically recommend UOKO in Lake Forest (strip mall on Rockfield where Captain Cream is). Japanese-owned and staffed, been there since the 70s; ice cold draft Kirin (only nama biru for this soul) and a chef that loves to do omakase. Much more expensive than it looks from outside. The best uni around, plus a TV above the sushi bar for watching the Lakers.

2nd place for sushi is Shin Sushi by Pavilions in MV. Shin-san and his wife do all the honors. 3rd place is OAMI (also Japanese owned and staffed) on El Toro Road in Lake Forest.

I can't believe no one mentioned Top's World Famous for pastrami sandwiches. One in Arcadia, one in Pasadena. The owners are Greek and live in San Marino. Anyone who grew up in the Pasadena area knows this place. Unreal Pastrami that even my childhood buddy who now works in Manhattan dreams of. You won't find this style of pastrami anywhere else. A must try.

For steak, skip all the restaurants and head over to Whole Foods for their Dry Aged ribeyes (or fillets if they have them - these sell out immediately at the store in my Bay area 'hood). They trim all the dry aged crap off for you. Grill them over high heat on a charcoal Weber (remember the dry aged cooks in ~1/2 the time of regular meat) and you will have a better steak than you can get at any OC/LA steakhouse. For an even bigger treat, call up prior to Xmas and order a dry aged bone-in Prime Rib. I did a 3-rib for Thanksgiving and it made my wife swear off Five Crowns forever.

For seafood in OC, our favorite has always been Harbor Grill in Dana Point Harbor. Impeccable quality and service. Also one of the best margaritas you'll ever have. Heineken on tap too. Up in L.A. Ocean Avenue seafood in Santa Monica is solid.

@balboarenter

Thanks. I never knew the name of that place. I only know it as THE spring roll place behind the 99cent store.

If anyone ventures out to West Minster and don't want Viet food, there's Alertos. Their fish burrito is very good. <a href="http://elmomonster.blogspot.com/2005/05/fish-burritos-from-alertos-fountain.html">elmomonster.blogspot.com/2005/05/fish-burritos-from-alertos-fountain.html</a>

@in-n-out fries haters

I swear their fries use to taste different/better. Something happened in the last few years. There's this japanese restaurant called Furaibo in City of Industry that serves fries reminiscent of what In-n-Out fries use to taste like. Furaibo's chicken is awesome. Best to go there during lunch time, under $10 a person. Their ice tea is also very good.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/booXiXGZ2vm5grWGMmf2aw#hrid:KNo3YBB0c_uLbfUKmkstfg/query:furaibo

went to the counter (burger joint) at woodbury yesterday. for those unfamiliar with the place, its a build your own burger joint that's been popular in santa monica for some time now. the number of options is fantastic. choice of meat (beef, turkey, veggie), patty size (1/3 to 1 lb!), various cheeses, veges both raw and grilled, sauces, and bun types. also a variety of sides including sweet potato fries which i love.

pricey ($~9-13 per burger depending on your choice of toppings) so i wouldnt compare it with fatburger or in n out like in the prev posts. i hung out at the bar with friends while watching games on the tube last fri and had a blast.

if you got those booklets of coupons for the various irvine plazas last month, theres a buy one burger get one free coupon in the woodbury booklet.

<p>acpme,</p>

<p>Thanks for the write up on the Counter. Still have yet to try this place. I’ve been there on two different occasions; both times the tables were full and lines out the door. The long wait was frustrating so I end up at El Pollo Loco next door. Unfortunately, can’t go during the week so I’ve gone on Saturdays around noon. I'm a big fan of turkey burgers and can't wait to try one. </p>

I also just visited the Counter in Woodbury for the first time this past Friday. It's a much smaller place than I would have thought, very casual and informal. I went on a Friday night, around 8:00, and the wait wasn't too bad. It gets pretty loud inside. It is definitely a pricey burger, and when I got it, I thought it was tiny (I got the 1/3 lb patty). But it was actually quite filling - I think they use a fattier ground beef, which is great for taste and filling me up, not so good for the arteries. I would go back for the burger, but at those prices, and relative to where I live, I probably won't be making the trip too often. Unless I'm craving a turkey burger with Gouda, pepperoncinis, spring lettuce mix and sundried tomato vinagrette sometime soon.

B2B

I wanted to jump in and say Shin Sushi on Oso is one of the best in OC. Very small little restaurant. But consistant and yes

the owner Shin is the Sushi Chef. Some of the freshest and best tasting sushi you can get locally.

Going to try that UOKO over by Creams. I hang at Peppino`s all the time and have never been in that restaurant. So based on your obvious good taste in sushi will give it a try.

Oami is not as good as it used to be IMHO. Not sure why. Guess I hit it on a not so fresh night a couple times in a row

a few months back. So maybe need to try again.

Last Sunday went and tried Mitsui over in Quail Hill again. It was better than the last time we went a couple months ago.

Its one of the few places thats open all afternoon on a Sunday. Not very busy so the service was excellent and the sushi chef was thowing us freebies. So that always makes me a happy customer.

Ok, with all the talk of the Diamond Jamboree Center having some great restaurants, I'm reviving this thread. My husband and I are always on the lookout for good places to eat. My knowledge of good restaurants offering Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, and other Asian cuisines is very limited. But don't feel like you're limited to recommending only those.

Chin Ting, which used to be in Fullerton, recently reopened in Placentia/Anaheim (I think it's near the border) on Orangethorpe and Lakeview. It has great Chinese food.

<p class="MsoNormal">The Diamond Plaza is not really my thing. If you’re looking for something different, I suggest you check out Kimera. They’re next to the Google building in Irvine. </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Great atmosphere, exceptional décor, and wonderful food (global fusion cuisine). </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">I usually go on Friday nites, great crowd</p>

<p>How did I never see this thread before? From a foodaholic, here it goes:</p>

<p>Best (reasonable) sushi: Miyako's in San Clemente isn't terribly creative but has the freshest sushi for the money. It's a local fave so be prepared to wait for dinner. Their Jay-lapeno is awesome, as well as spicy albacore!</p>

<p>For non-sushi fast food Japanese, Bentoss in Costa Mesa is hands down the best. It is a chain in Japan. Located in a small strip mall next to 7-11 in front of Mitsuwa.</p>

<p>Italian food tends to be similar in most places with only subtle differences, but Fratelli's in Dana Point stands out with distinctive flavors. For the price - which isn't cheap but not Valentino level - it is the best I've ever had anywhere.</p>

<p>Thai - if anyone has one that stands out, let me know. I've been to about a dozen different ones in OC, but they're pretty similar albeit all good. Saladang in Pasadena!</p>

<p>Sunday Brunch - Monarch Beach Resort, to DIE - no make that - KILL for. </p>

<p>Breads & pastries - Paris Baguette in Buena Park. It's a Korean chain of bakery, and I swear, Americans are doing something wrong because this is how pastries are supposed to taste like!</p>

<p>Korean BBQ - Honey Pig in Buena Park. They cook on top of a huge pot lid covered with kimchi & sprouts.</p>

<p>Meat - Well, haven't found one yet, but I need to go to Five Crowns. If it's anything like Lawry's Prime Rib, I'm there! And I need to try Mastro's.</p>

<p>El Cholo's green corn tamales are fabulous, if you like yours sweet. Otherwise they're average. When is La Seranata coming to OC?</p>

boston, i grew up near pasadena and arcadia, never heard of Tops World Famous but love pastrami and want to try it, wheere are the locations? Googling doesn't come up with anything for it.

<p class="MsoNormal">The Tops I’m familiar with is off Rosemead near Michelinda. </p>

Went to SC with the son of the guy who owns it. Haven’t been in the area for years but I think the son is running it now. Great guy, from San Marino. Just about everyone from San Marino went to USC.

Check out yelp.com; I review a lot of places and there's a whole community that reviews restaurants, shops, etc.

I will recommend Tropika at Tustin. Check out www.tropika.com

They serve Malaysian food. Great food, good service and very nice setting. Different from other chinese restaurant!!

Fumbling:

There are two locations - 1 in Arcadia off Michillinda and the 210, the other is on Walnut and Allen in Pasadena. There is no better Pastrami anywhere.

ten:

Did you frequent Chano's back in your USC days? My favorite 2am feast there was the Pastrami Special Quesadilla. Essential after a Thursday night at Traddies sucking down Vulcan Mind Probes.

BTW, I heard they're tearing down Commons and building something new. No Traddies this year before/after home games.

Is anyone going to mention Jalapeno's? Great mexican food. Also Picante Martin's on Balboa Island. If you want true Mexican food, El Cholo won't cut it.

And I agree that Maestro's Ocean Club is completely overrated. Nice place for a drink but that is all.

And I second the La Sirena Grill on Mermaid in Laguna...awesome Salmon salad.

For something different try <a href="http://www.merhabarestaurant.com">Merhaba Restaurant</a> on W Ball Rd in Anaheim. Great East African/Ethiopian food. If you have never tried this type of food this is a good place to start, comparable in quality to Little Ethiopia on Fairfax in LA. Since you eat with your hands it is a very social dining experience.

Back