Good pizza in Irvine?

WTTCHMN said:
soyi said:
WTTCHMN said:
paydawg said:
WTTCHMN said:
Top 20: Where to get the best pizza in Orange County
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pizza-710287-bar-oven.html

It's funny how Tustin, Irvine, and Lake Forest are rarely on these "best" lists for dining.

Best place to swim with shit?

Are you talking about swimming pools all over Irvine taken over by ducks?

Guess again.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11840.msg287165.html#msg287165

To be fair, it's not just the Chinese.  Today, I saw an elderly Persian guy doing the same thing at a community pool: swim, shit, shower, shave.

His shower lasted about 20 minutes and he dragged a patio table over to the communal showers to rest his body wash, razor, and swim trunks.

WTTCHMN said:
WTTCHMN said:
soyi said:
WTTCHMN said:
paydawg said:
WTTCHMN said:
Top 20: Where to get the best pizza in Orange County
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pizza-710287-bar-oven.html

It's funny how Tustin, Irvine, and Lake Forest are rarely on these "best" lists for dining.

Best place to swim with shit?

Are you talking about swimming pools all over Irvine taken over by ducks?

Guess again.
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11840.msg287165.html#msg287165

To be fair, it's not just the Chinese.  Today, I saw an elderly Persian guy doing the same thing at a community pool: swim, shit, shower, shave.

His shower lasted about 20 minutes and he dragged a patio table over to the communal showers to rest his body wash, razor, and swim trunks.

Talk about hijacked.  I'm hoping to get good pizza suggestions and instead I'm reading about old Persian men taking showers and shit in pools.  I feel cheated.

paydawg said:
Looking for good pizza in irvine/Tustin/lake forest not named First Class.  Any recommendations? 
Are you looking for thin crust, regular, deep dish or BYO?

For BYO, in order for me is Blaze, Mod then Pieology... but I think you are looking for non-BYO options.

There are 2 Lampposts in Irvine, Ameci's off of Michelson and Culver and Northwood Pizza in the Northwood Towne Center. New York Upper Crust in Oak Creek is good if you just want to get slices and they have a large variety (as does Mobtown in the District). There is also the Johnny's Pizza in Quail Hill if you like that New York style pizza.

And then for all the old schoolers, Ray's Pizza near UCI has been around forever.

MOD, Blaze adding more O.C. restaurants: free pizza on Friday

Blaze Fast-Fire?d Pizza, one of the leading fast-casual pizza players, opened Thursday in San Clemente.

The chain is celebrating the grand opening with a pizza giveaway on Friday. To get a free pizza, diners must follow the chain on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook.

The first Blaze opened in Irvine in August 2012. It was created by Elise and Rick Wetzel, the founders of Wetzel?s Pretzels. NBA superstar LeBron James in an investor.

The Pasadena-based company now operates 127 restaurants in 28 states and Canada. The new 2,835-square-foot restaurant is at the Outlets at San Clemente, 225 W. Avenida Vista Hermosa.

Build your own concept MOD Pizza, another fast-casual player, announced plans to add a fourth Orange County location.

The Foothill Ranch restaurant will join the three other MOD locations in Irvine, Laguna Hills and Huntington Beach. The Washington state-based fast casual concept was founded by Seattle native Scott Svenson in 2008 ? making it one of the pioneers in the trendy ?fast pizza? category.

A spokesman said the company is in negotiations for two additional locations in Orange County. The Foothill Ranch restaurant, at 26722 Portola Parkway, is slated to open in late December

I just want to say I think Blaze is quite tasty.  Spicy sauce, extra chicken, pepperoni and crumbled meatballs with onions, peppers, mushrooms and salt and oregano for the win. 

I wish they were opening  a Blaze in Foothill Ranch instead of MOD.... Mod is ok but I won't be going out of my way to eat it.

Fresh Bros at Marketplace

B357402B-3348-47EA-8A00-2FEAE70F8C89_zps804zd4vy.jpg

Not bad, the mozzarella cheese they use is my favorite, has a chewiness not found in the main chain pizzas.  Mild sausage was decent and a great crust to carry it all to your mouth.  No pool of grease left on my paper plate as well.  Gonna do the deep dish next time.

It was $16 for a medium with two toppings carry out with their app, which is the best pizza app so far (even better than Domino's).  More expensive.....yes, better pizza......yes as well.

I can probably finish a medium by myself if I'm hungry enough, thumbs up.

ps9 said:
Fresh Bros at Marketplace

B357402B-3348-47EA-8A00-2FEAE70F8C89_zps804zd4vy.jpg

Not bad, the mozzarella cheese they use is my favorite, has a chewiness not found in the main chain pizzas.  Mild sausage was decent and a great crust to carry it all to your mouth.  No pool of grease left on my paper plate as well.  Gonna do the deep dish next time.

It was $16 for a medium with two toppings carry out with their app, which is the best pizza app so far (even better than Domino's).  More expensive.....yes, better pizza......yes as well.

I can probably finish a medium by myself if I'm hungry enough, thumbs up.

Hmmm, I thought it was - wait for it - overrated.  Reminded me of pizza from Fedco.

http://www.angelinaspizzeria.com/irvine/menu

Self proclaimed pizza snob here.  This is the best pizza I've found in Irvine.  Real tomatoes in the sauce, crunchy yet spongy bread, just the right amount of cheese, delicious flavorful moderately spicy meats.  It's a little on the expensive side, but worth every penny imo.  The meatball appetizer is great for sharing as well.

I haven't tried it yet but the local competition is fierce. If it's not top notch, it won't survive.

readytobuy said:
my favorite is the pizza from stone fire grill.
Their Huntington Beach location is better when it comes to pizza.  The Irvine location often has too big of an outside crust.  I've complained about it a few times and they've responded that they are looking to improve, but it seems they just don't care enough.

I do like their pizza, though, other than the fact that the end crust is too big.  It means you get less pizza than you pay for, and it's too much bread.

The Yard House has really good pizza.

Right now, my goto is Pieology.  I've not tried Blaze yet, but plan to.

spootieho said:
The Yard House has really good pizza.

Right now, my goto is Pieology.  I've not tried Blaze yet, but plan to.

I think Pizza 900 across from Irvine BMW is better than both.  Try the pizza called "The First" and add bacon.  Yum.

irvinehomeowner said:
Man... Stone Fire Grill and Yard House pizzas are being touted here?

I must be a pizza snob... which is ironic.
Maybe.  To each their own.

Stone Fire Grill in Irvine has potential but it's slightly flawed.  End crust too big, big bubbles in dough, rest of pizza too thin and soggy....  It's still good, but needs improvement.  Their Huntington Beach location did it much better when I lived closer to it.

irvinehomeowner said:
Man... Stone Fire Grill and Yard House pizzas are being touted here?

I must be a pizza snob... which is ironic.
What about Shakey's?  $5 all you can eat pizza and mojo potatoes!

As IHO said, it really depends on what you like for pizza.  I love NY style, not thin, not thick, slightly charred, greasy, salty pizza.  My wife like a much more doughy crust.

IMO, Blase makes a fairly decent BYO pizza.  Pieology is a pizza Subway. 

Over in Orange, I've happily found Zito's Pizza.  One of the best Calzones I've found out here.

Back