ABC123_IHB
New member
For all of you gold experts out there, I purchased some shares of a gold mutual fund in my IRA account and it has increased 40% in less than a year. Is now a good time to sell or is gold going to continue to rise?
Nude said:I can't speak for awgee, but fiat money is just toilet paper when the government backing it has no way to support it. So, no... I don;t think any currency will be immune to a global recession and some will suffer far more than others. In a world where currency is traded on open markets, what a dollar worth is relative to other currencies. There may come a day when $1000 in gold is only worth 325 euros rather than the ~750 it is today or it could be worth 1500 euros next year. I know that is not very helpful, but there is only so much you can do to protect the buying power of your capital. But let me offer this word of advice: if you are buying precious metals to protect yourself in case of all hell breaking loose and fiat money becoming worthless, then don't rely on some ETF or electronic vault. If worse does come to worse, the only way to truly be positive that you have something worth trading for guns, seeds, butter, and booze is to take physical possession of whatever PM you own. I like Canadian Maple Leafs and US Buffalos although there is a smal premium over the spot prices.
PANDA said:Nude said:I can't speak for awgee, but fiat money is just toilet paper when the government backing it has no way to support it. So, no... I don;t think any currency will be immune to a global recession and some will suffer far more than others. In a world where currency is traded on open markets, what a dollar worth is relative to other currencies. There may come a day when $1000 in gold is only worth 325 euros rather than the ~750 it is today or it could be worth 1500 euros next year. I know that is not very helpful, but there is only so much you can do to protect the buying power of your capital. But let me offer this word of advice: if you are buying precious metals to protect yourself in case of all hell breaking loose and fiat money becoming worthless, then don't rely on some ETF or electronic vault. If worse does come to worse, the only way to truly be positive that you have something worth trading for guns, seeds, butter, and booze is to take physical possession of whatever PM you own. I like Canadian Maple Leafs and US Buffalos although there is a smal premium over the spot prices.
Nude, I was afraid of this. I wonder what Awgee's opinion is. I agree with you that the Gold ETF route is not the safe way to go. I assure you that when things get bad the government will interfere by trying to confiscate our gold, or try to put some crazy tax to the gains, or make it illegal for Americans to hold gold assets. Several years ago, I opened up my Swiss Bank account and already stocked up on Gold Bullion/Coins/Bars. If you have your assets in foreign soil, the U.S. government can't touch it.
Nude and Awgee, I current hold a good chunk of my cash in Canadian Dollars and Euros. Do you guys recommend that I convert all of this into Gold. Foreign Cash just seems like a safer investment to me as the price does not fluctuate so much like Gold and Silver. Again, I can be completely wrong.
What's your opinion in carrying silver?
Panda
graphrix said:Panda,
I highly recommend you read A Random Walk Down Wall Street, by Burton Malkiel. I also recommend you read many of the other books cited in that book. Once you get through that, then we can restart the book thread from back in the day. Hopefully you will graduate to Mark Douglas, and we can all have a great discussion about trading and investing. Baby panda steps, baby steps...
When was the last time you lugged around a few ingots? Better to buy Canadian Maple Leafs and not worry about what our Government does.Trooper said:awgee, Googling around, I found this tidbit. It appears that during the GD the Gubmint did indeed demand the return of gold coins:
QUESTION: Hello, and thanks heaps for your answer. Is it okay if I ask one more quick question? I read during the great depression that the government made all the people who had gold give it back to the government, and that they could only keep $100 worth.. Would silver therefore be better do you think, or did they make them give that back too? Thanks heaps for your time
ANSWER: It is true that US gold coin was required to be returned to the government (since it was US money and not personal possessions) and replaced with paper money. Silver was continued to be used in coins until the 1960s.
However, gold in the form of jewelry was not outlawed, and as such could not be taken by the government.
Remember, money is technically the property of the State. And as such it can be recalled, and replaced with new or different money. That is what happened to the gold coins.
So why buy gold coins with a $50.00 face value.....couldn't this happen again? Wouldn't ingots be a better choice ?
signed: Chicken Little