Georgia Tech and UCLA Admissions

Panda said:
I read Steve Job's autobiography by Walt Isaacson cover to cover (600 pages). Amazing book and it placed in Panda's shelf of honor of the best business books I've ever read. He did visit his biological father's restaurant to see him up close as a customer, but told him that he was his son. Steve Jobs is the greatest creative genius of our time. Now, how did this thread turn from a UCLA is Great thread to a Steve Jobs thread? :)

Is the companion reading to his biography the memoir by his daughter, Small Fry? :)

I've read autobiographies of other very successful businessman like Shoe Dog - Nike's Phil Knight and Jeff Bezos, the everything store and Elon Musk, but Steve Jobs is by far my favorite.

Panda said:
I've read autobiographies of other very successful businessman like Shoe Dog - Nike's Phil Knight and Jeff Bezos, the everything store and Elon Musk, but Steve Jobs is by far my favorite.

I really enjoyed Shoe Dog as well.  You should read Bad Blood (carreyrou).  It's fascinating!

Jandali fled the Middle East because of protests and demonstrations that eventually toppled the president of Lebanon.
https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/...mmigrant-father-abdul-fattah-jandali-3624958/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...cal-father-syrian-migrant-some-note/75899450/

Happiness said:
Steve Job's biological father was a foreign student from Syria studying legally in the US. He was not a migrant, not a refugee, and not undocumented. USNews = False News

eyephone said:
Steve Jobs's Father Was a Syrian Refugee
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/12/11/steve-jobss-father-was-a-syrian-refugee?src=usn_tw

Check out the Banksy art about Steve Jobs. In the link above.

Panda said:
Agreed. Steve Jobs never went to college.

eyephone said:
They didn?t go to an elite school and they made it with a splash.

Panda said:
I am no Jack Ma or Steven Speilberg

Fake this. I?m sick and tired of this fake crap. Just because you don?t like the story. It?s getting old, really old.

Happiness said:
Steve Job's biological father was a foreign student from Syria studying legally in the US. He was not a migrant, not a refugee, and not undocumented. USNews = False News

eyephone said:
Steve Jobs's Father Was a Syrian Refugee
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/12/11/steve-jobss-father-was-a-syrian-refugee?src=usn_tw

Check out the Banksy art about Steve Jobs. In the link above.

Panda said:
Agreed. Steve Jobs never went to college.

eyephone said:
They didn?t go to an elite school and they made it with a splash.

Panda said:
I am no Jack Ma or Steven Speilberg

Panda said:
I am no Jack Ma or Steven Speilberg, but I did apply as an out of state student to UCLA - business/econ major my senior year in high school and got rejected. I went to University of Michigan instead. Back in 1994, UCLA only admitted 8% of its freshman class from out of state applicants. If you are an Asian applicant and out of state the odds were not in your favor. Today more than 42% of the accepted freshman UCLA class are from out-of-state.

In order to be admitted to the BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) program at University of Michigan, you had to apply as a Sophomore with all the pre-business classes completed like Econ 101,201, Accounting Financial and Managerial etc. The BBA class only admitted 25% of the in-house applicants. I applied to UCLA for the second time to transfer as junior to business /econ major. Luckily I got accepted to both my send time round. I decided to stay at Michigan as their finance and business program was top-notch.

Should have just stayed in Michigan and moved to Kalamazoo. Then the panda twins could just go to UMich for free under the Kalamazoo Promsie.  No need to worry about UCLA and GTech rankings, cost and ROI.

I recently attended a USC Viterbi alumni function at a palatial estate here in SV. The Director of Planned Giving informed us the Viterbi (Engineering) undergrad admission rate this year was 5%.

Having recently been recruited away for a new role I can personally attest to the USC Computer Science/EE/CE degree being as highly valued in SV as Stanford/Cal or any Ivy, maybe more so because the social environment at USC is phenomenal preparation for the corporate world. And the "talent" at USC makes for a supreme undergrad experience. I am upping my giving to give my child every possible advantage for admission.

GA Tech is a fine engineering school but has less cachet with corp recruiters than SJSU or Santa Clara.

Now, more than ever, it really matters where you go.

OCtoSV said:
I recently attended a USC Viterbi alumni function at a palatial estate here in SV. The Director of Planned Giving informed us the Viterbi (Engineering) undergrad admission rate this year was 5%.

Having recently been recruited away for a new role I can personally attest to the USC Computer Science/EE/CE degree being as highly valued in SV as Stanford/Cal or any Ivy, maybe more so because the social environment at USC is phenomenal preparation for the corporate world. And the "talent" at USC makes for a supreme undergrad experience. I am upping my giving to give my child every possible advantage for admission.

GA Tech is a fine engineering school but has less cachet with corp recruiters than SJSU or Santa Clara.

less cachet with corp recruiters in Bay area than SJSU or Santa Clara. Probably a different story in ATL.

OCtoSV said:

Sounds like an advertisement. It all depends on the person.

For kicks and giggles there are a lot of people with degrees from India. (I posted this before)
Also, they look at SJSU grads.

There?s a university in India where many CEOs in Silicon Valley went to. I?ll post The link later.

OCtoSV said:

eyephone said:
For kicks and giggles there are a lot of people with degrees from India. (I posted this before)
Also, they look at SJSU grads.

There?s a university in India where many CEOs in Silicon Valley went to. I?ll post The link later.

OCtoSV said:

IIT is big time, but I don't think anyone here wants to go there.

OCtoSV said:

I had lunch w/ someone in charge of admissions for one of the graduate schools at SC maybe 5-6 years ago. Thinking of my kids, I asked how much I had to give to get special consideration for my kids assuming they weren't fully qualified.

They said that 10-20 years ago, it might not have been that much, but now (think 2012-2013) it'd probably take $500k min to $1M to receive favorable treatment assuming your child didn't fully qualify. Or you'd have to get a letter of rec from someone very famous/powerful with it being very personal. The example they gave was someone got a letter of rec from Al Gore. They said the problem with these wealthy/powerful people are that they are admitted last and they're inpatient and question the schools priority to them because the school can't make a decision until they know there's enough room for them after accepting merit based students. Also this is not guaranteed admission, just special consideration.

So if you don't plan to give in those amounts to SC, save your money.

haiku said:
They said that 10-20 years ago, it might not have been that much, but now (think 2012-2013) it'd probably take $500k min to $1M to receive favorable treatment assuming your child didn't fully qualify.

I'm sorry but I would say there is a 0% chance you would get anyone from an admissions committee to confirm or disclose that they take donations for favorable consideration.

Cares said:
haiku said:
They said that 10-20 years ago, it might not have been that much, but now (think 2012-2013) it'd probably take $500k min to $1M to receive favorable treatment assuming your child didn't fully qualify.

I'm sorry but I would say there is a 0% chance you would get anyone from an admissions committee to confirm or disclose that they take donations for favorable consideration.

You don?t need them to confirm or disclose. Just look at the named buildings, scholarships, fellowships, professorships, etc and chances are, the named offspring are graduates/current students.

bones said:
Cares said:
haiku said:

You don?t need them to confirm or disclose. Just look at the named buildings, scholarships, fellowships, professorships, etc and chances are, the named offspring are graduates/current students.

I am in no way denying that this does happen. I am skeptical that you would get anyone to say it happens.

Harvey Mudd grads make the most money, more than ives:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/28/grads-at-this-college-earn-the-mostand-its-not-harvard-or-stanford.html?__source=yahoo%7Cfinance%7Cheadline%7Cstory%7C&par=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Happiness said:
Harvey Mudd grads make the most money, more than ives:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/28/grads-at-this-college-earn-the-mostand-its-not-harvard-or-stanford.html?__source=yahoo%7Cfinance%7Cheadline%7Cstory%7C&par=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Thanks for sharing. Good find.

Back