Georgia Tech and UCLA Admissions

Correct me if I am wrong.. but I think this is the first time in history that UCLA is the #1 state school in California ahead of Berkeley. Rank #19. Wow. Go Bruins!

Panda said:
Correct me if I am wrong.. but I think this is the first time in history that UCLA is the #1 state school in California ahead of Berkeley. Rank #19. Wow. Go Bruins!

Not just #1 public school in California, #1 public in the nation.  Go Bruins!!

paydawg said:
fortune11 said:
I actually think college is the last overpriced bastion in the United States that has not been exposed to true competition.  That being said , until that changes , everyone is still better served by trying to get their kids into the best schools possible .

People underestimate how much geography and brand name recognition still matters , even if underlying quality may not be as good . The fact is best paying jobs in aggregate , are in West  and east coast and elite coastal schools will always have the upper hand in term of the higher echelon of jobs , esp those that rely on network . Many companies recruit locally and while some may have token recruiting programs for far off state universities , they are many often spillover efforts when they can?t source what they need locally . 

One of the asset management firms I work with as a client in downtown LA  , when they expanded into a new area, hired 2 mbas from UCLA . One was a campus type and the other came via a referral .  Now , could they have found a better candidate in Georgia . Possibly . But people only have so much bandwidth and time and when it comes down to it, for better or worse , familiarly bias and comfort zones take over .

It's all about name recognition.  Georgia Tech sounds like a regional school.  UCLA would too if it were called UC Los Angeles.

but it is called UC Los Angeles ??

Kings said:
paydawg said:
fortune11 said:
I actually think college is the last overpriced bastion in the United States that has not been exposed to true competition.  That being said , until that changes , everyone is still better served by trying to get their kids into the best schools possible .

People underestimate how much geography and brand name recognition still matters , even if underlying quality may not be as good . The fact is best paying jobs in aggregate , are in West  and east coast and elite coastal schools will always have the upper hand in term of the higher echelon of jobs , esp those that rely on network . Many companies recruit locally and while some may have token recruiting programs for far off state universities , they are many often spillover efforts when they can?t source what they need locally . 

One of the asset management firms I work with as a client in downtown LA  , when they expanded into a new area, hired 2 mbas from UCLA . One was a campus type and the other came via a referral .  Now , could they have found a better candidate in Georgia . Possibly . But people only have so much bandwidth and time and when it comes down to it, for better or worse , familiarly bias and comfort zones take over .

It's all about name recognition.  Georgia Tech sounds like a regional school.  UCLA would too if it were called UC Los Angeles.

but it is called UC Los Angeles ??

But that's my point.  'UCLA' and 'Cal' sounds more like a national (and possibly global) brand, UC Los Angeles and UC Berkeley, not so much. 

Correct me if I am wrong.. but #19 in US News is a new record ranking for any state school. I don't think Berkeley ever ranked #19. At #19, UCLA is now in the second tier Ivy Private School rankings territory.

There is a reason why people call this fine institution " The (U)niversity of (C)aucasians (L)ost among (A)sians."

Panda said:

Panda said:
Correct me if I am wrong.. but #19 in US News is a new record ranking for any state school. I don't think Berkeley ever ranked #19. At #19, UCLA is now in the second tier Ivy Private School rankings territory.

There is a reason why people call this fine institution " The (U)niversity of (C)aucasians (L)ost among (A)sians."

Panda said:

It?ll be hard for UCLA (or any public school really) to climb much higher in the rankings. Hard to compete when your freshman class is larger than some of these top private schools? entire undergraduate student body.

bones said:
Panda said:

Panda said:

It?ll be hard for UCLA (or any public school really) to climb much higher in the rankings. Hard to compete when your freshman class is larger than some of these top private schools? entire undergraduate student body.

It?s only crazy until you do it. Swoosh :)

I?ve beem wanting to use that line.

And you can?t take any ranking seriously where UCLA is higher than SC. USC has the financial backing of old rich white people. We know Asians don?t give back to UCLA :)

qwerty said:

And you can?t take any ranking seriously where UCLA is higher than SC. USC has the financial backing of old rich white people. We know Asians don?t give back to UCLA :)

That?s USC?s problem. Admitting too many (not so smart) offspring of said old rich white people :)

bones said:
qwerty said:

That?s USC?s problem. Admitting too many (not so smart) offspring of said old rich white people :)

Isn?t this standard operating procedure in the Ivy?s which prevents the Asian from getting in?  :)

qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

Isn?t this standard operating procedure in the Ivy?s which prevents the Asian from getting in?  :)

Yup. Similar legacy percentages at the top Ivy?s and USC. Just confirms what we already know. Ivy grads + offspring are smarter than USC grads + offspring :)

qwerty said:
bones said:
qwerty said:

Now and even back in the day. Harvard rejected Jack Ma ten times.

I am no Jack Ma or Steven Speilberg, but I did apply as an out of state student to UCLA - business/econ major my senior year in high school and got rejected. I went to University of Michigan instead. Back in 1994, UCLA only admitted 8% of its freshman class from out of state applicants. If you are an Asian applicant and out of state the odds were not in your favor. Today more than 42% of the accepted freshman UCLA class are from out-of-state.

In order to be admitted to the BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration) program at University of Michigan, you had to apply as a Sophomore with all the pre-business classes completed like Econ 101,201, Accounting Financial and Managerial etc. The BBA class only admitted 25% of the in-house applicants. I applied to UCLA for the second time to transfer as junior to business /econ major. Luckily I got accepted to both my send time round. I decided to stay at Michigan as their finance and business program was top-notch.

Steve Job's biological father was a foreign student from Syria studying legally in the US. He was not a migrant, not a refugee, and not undocumented. USNews = False News

eyephone said:
Steve Jobs's Father Was a Syrian Refugee
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/12/11/steve-jobss-father-was-a-syrian-refugee?src=usn_tw

Check out the Banksy art about Steve Jobs. In the link above.

Panda said:
Agreed. Steve Jobs never went to college.

eyephone said:
They didn?t go to an elite school and they made it with a splash.

Panda said:
I am no Jack Ma or Steven Speilberg

I read Steve Job's autobiography by Walt Isaacson cover to cover (600 pages). Amazing book and it placed in Panda's shelf of honor of the best business books I've ever read. He did visit his biological father's restaurant to see him up close as a customer, but told him that he was his son. Steve Jobs is the greatest creative genius of our time. Now, how did this thread turn from a UCLA is Great thread to a Steve Jobs thread? :)

Back