Furniture store

We bought some custom made tables from PlanksUSA in Lake Forest. Customize to your look/taste/size, and surprisingly competitively priced. Plus, it's made locally, and it's always nice to support local jobs.

socaltrojan81 said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
ps9 said:
Far below retail looks promising, saw their ad in the deal/coupon mag in the mail.  But some recent yelps makes me cautious...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/far-below-retail-santa-ana-2?sort_by=date_desc

Looks like they lost a lead salesperson
That is unfortunate, Christina was the one that helped me out.  I picked up a large square mirror (over the fireplace), my TV stand, coffee table, and cali king mattress from them last year when I moved in.  Price and service was great, it'd be a shame if that's changed.

Went with your recommendation couple of weeks back. Got a great deal on king bed + mattress. The downside of course is that you pick from a catalog. But hard to go wrong with beds in general. Thanks for the tip.

If you get the Clipper mag in mail.. they got coups..

C85E3DB0-AAB3-4415-8B4E-D8A466137C3D-1434-0000012853063767_zps037d9dcd.jpg

cowlemon said:
Don't forget Pottery Barn.  ;)

Our Pottery Barn furniture has not aged well (coffee table + media table) and we would not be buying from them again. We got our sofa from Al's in Los Angeles (Pottery Barn knock-off place) and the cushions need to be refilled. My sister has had a Jennifer Convertible sectional for 8 years now and it is still going strong even with her 4 kids jumping on it.

We have a Jennifer Convertible couch/loveseat/chair set... it's horrible... the cushions aren't even square anymore. I guess it depends on what product you get from them.

We will probably check out this FarBelowRetail place but we have had a good experience with both Living Spaces and Comforts of Home. I like that you don't have to wait for Living Spaces to "build" your sofa.

I made the rounds at the new (yay) Ashley store over the weekend plus Easy Life. Easy Life really sucked compared to what I thought it was going to be. I was impressed by Ashley's quality and relative value. The salesman was someone I hope to avoid when I go back. We came *thisclose* to placing an order (Levon set with coil chair cushions just like Broyhill's) but talked ourselves out of it while waiting around for them. We've changed our search criteria due to limited selection. We're now looking at something we've never considered - leather... which means we'll be retracing our steps all over again. Plan to do Living Spaces again this weekend and Ashley again. I see a set I kind of like on Costco's site. However, only some of them offer fabric / color samples. The one I'm interested in doesn't. I'm not about to spend a few grand on something I can't at least see / touch / feel a little bit of first.

To Iho's experience of Jennifer Convertibles, I'll add to the list one that I've been disappointed with which is LaZBoy or however you spell that sucker.

I bought our current sectional from the advice of a friend who went on & on about how much they love Lazy Boy. For what we shelled out, I'd call it junk. Not like Ikea junk. But not worth the cost. It looked like it needed replacing after only a few years and we are not particularly hard on our furniture. It's also very uncomfortable. Come to find out those friends seem to buy a new Lazy Boy couch or chair set every 4 years because "they love them so much". Or is it because they don't last? Gee. I will not be back!

We got our couches, master bed frame, and crib mattress off the Costco website.  Their customer service and delivery was excellent.  Costco also takes anything back and will come back to pick it up if you're not happy.  I find the quality of their stuff online to be quite good.  Some of the stuff in the store is questionable (at least the cheaper sectional couches).  The reviews online helped us when ordering our leather sofas.  Hope that helps.

LAtoOC said:
cowlemon said:
Don't forget Pottery Barn.  ;)

Our Pottery Barn furniture has not aged well (coffee table + media table) and we would not be buying from them again. We got our sofa from Al's in Los Angeles (Pottery Barn knock-off place) and the cushions need to be refilled. My sister has had a Jennifer Convertible sectional for 8 years now and it is still going strong even with her 4 kids jumping on it.

I also think you have to look at what you are buying and I'd say that not everything from a specific retailer is good.  For example, in general, I try to stay away from anything veneered from all retailers.  I'd also especially stay away from paying too much for particle board with sticker on it (my summation of veneered furniture).    This is different than me going to Ikea to buy some storage units for my daughters room.  I know it's cheap, so I expect that its going to be veneered.      I wouldn't pay $2000 for a media stand that isn't solid wood so that somebody leaves a cup on it that bubbles the furniture.    If something is nice and solid, then my take would be that you'd have to really abuse it in order for it to not last (either that or the design gets dated). 

I'm so relieved. The search is over for the main staple of my living room seating. Living Spaces is making a midnight delivery tonight! Went with top-grain leather, nice Flexsteel construction, great quality. I hate to sound cliche but it's sooo buttery soft and so comfortable - plush & deep (42"). Now all I need is... everything else!

irvinehomeowner said:
Living Spaces makes midnight deliveries? Wow.

Yup and on a Sunday. I'm last on the list. It will probably be 1 a.m. Monday morning before they're out of here.

Was this because of delays or is this normal times for LS? I would think they would want to wait until tomorrow but from what I remember, the warehouse centers are in the boonies so once they are on the trucks, they want them delivered (used to know an LS driver).

It's a normal delivery time. 8 p.m. - midnight is the latest same-day delivery window. As long as you get your WYSIWYG order in by 4 p.m., you can have it the same day.

After going to Room and Board, everything at Bassett seems like a steal..

After going to Bassett, everything at Living Spaces seems like a steal..

After going to Living Spaces, everything at Ikea seems like a steal.

Hmmmm...should I spend $400 for a single chair in my formal dining room set?  Or spend $1000 for an entire set at Living Spaces?  Does price really equal quality in furniture?  So hard to decide....

Maybe I should just hack an Ikea..
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2008/06/make-compact-banquette-from-kitchen.html

ps9 said:
After going to Room and Board, everything at Bassett seems like a steal..

After going to Bassett, everything at Living Spaces seems like a steal..

After going to Living Spaces, everything at Ikea seems like a steal.

Hmmmm...should I spend $400 for a single chair in my formal dining room set?  Or spend $1000 for an entire set at Living Spaces?  Does price really equal quality in furniture?  So hard to decide....

Maybe I should just hack an Ikea..
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2008/06/make-compact-banquette-from-kitchen.html

I guess it depends on what you are buying. Sofas/couches are of significantly higher quality at Bassett. Living Spaces not so much.

Same with Ikea but I would say that some items in Ikea work just fine after 5 years of use. A wooden coffee table and a glass book shelf has lasted more than 5 years and still going strong. These are night high use / high wear items so ikea is good. I would say same goes with Living spaces. So it totally depends on what you are buying from these places.

Funny... been to both Living Spaces and Ikea the last week or so... forgot how hectic Ikea could be and how large LS is. Couldn't find anything that we thought was good enough to put in our kid's room.

And, if I remember correctly... not sure I want to spend the evening looking at pictures to figure out how to put something together (maybe I should factor in the cost of OCAssembly.com).

You know who has moderately priced items that seem better than living spaces and Ikea is Costplus World Market. 

irvinehomeowner said:
And, if I remember correctly... not sure I want to spend the evening looking at pictures to figure out how to put something together (maybe I should factor in the cost of OCAssembly.com).

When we moved into our previous house we were renting in irvine we had bought an ikea couch and the cover that went over it did not fit correctly so I could not screw in one of the little leg things. I was so pissed off I told my wife that shit like that was the reason I hated ikea and that we would never by anything from there again. Since then living spaces has been our go to place. Decent quality for the price. Haven't been to ikea in over four years.

Sofa U Love. 

Made here in SoCal, basically, everything is a custom order with pricing similar to Easy Life.  Quality is much better and you've got full control of everything from the color and fabric to the stuffing level in the cushions and backs. 

We have an armchair that has taken three years of toddler, parent and nanny abuse and a couch.  In the TV family room, we also have an Easy Life recliner couch that has taken 5+ years of abuse already.

null_zps1eee8cee.jpg

What do you guys think?  Orso sofa at Macy's.  Top grain leather, tufts, ivory... gonna put in narrow, formal living room where it will not get sat on much.  Have dark hardwood floors, taupe paint, white blinds... Not that comfortable, but looking more for "the look" than comfort.  Seems like a piece I can find in the W Hotel lobby.

Back