Furniture store

Recently went to FAR BELOW RETAIL and found the experience lacking because all you do is look at catalogs.  Got some quotes in prices and went on our way.  Afterward, on a whim, went to Excel Design Furniture in Fountain Valley, they had tons of furniture in their store and they had the exact same catalogs as FBR.  So I asked him to price out the same items and they all came in about 10-20% lower than FBR.  The guy also made it sound like there was still room to negotiate.  Here's their info if you guys are interested.

Excel Design Furniture
18093 Newhope St
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
(714) 241-9933

akim997 said:
LAtoOC said:
cowlemon said:
Don't forget Pottery Barn.  ;)

Our Pottery Barn furniture has not aged well (coffee table + media table) and we would not be buying from them again. We got our sofa from Al's in Los Angeles (Pottery Barn knock-off place) and the cushions need to be refilled. My sister has had a Jennifer Convertible sectional for 8 years now and it is still going strong even with her 4 kids jumping on it.

I also think you have to look at what you are buying and I'd say that not everything from a specific retailer is good.  For example, in general, I try to stay away from anything veneered from all retailers.  I'd also especially stay away from paying too much for particle board with sticker on it (my summation of veneered furniture).    This is different than me going to Ikea to buy some storage units for my daughters room.  I know it's cheap, so I expect that its going to be veneered.      I wouldn't pay $2000 for a media stand that isn't solid wood so that somebody leaves a cup on it that bubbles the furniture.    If something is nice and solid, then my take would be that you'd have to really abuse it in order for it to not last (either that or the design gets dated).

My hardwood buffet, trunk/coffee table and small console table from C&B & PB are still in great condition after 7 years...granted I wax/polish them once a year.  Even my engineered wood book case from C&B are almost new after 8 years.  I ordered a sectional sofa from PB a couple of months ago, so we'll see how that goes.

I just got my second truck load delivery from Living Spaces last night, albeit late, and will be back again for another... and another. I'm working with the designer, Desiree. A young girl... I was skeptical at first but man, I've got to hand it to her. She's done some good work. If you ever meet her, ask to see the pics on her phone of the rooms she's put together. I was wow'd. Matthew there is really helpful, knowledgeable, and patient. He's helped me with a couple big purchases. Such a refreshing change from those sales sharks on commission at Ashley.

We also went to Ashley last weekend and I've got to say, I'll never step foot in there again after my latest experience with their attack dogs. This bossy lady from The Bronx - you know that rude New Yorker type. This lady would waterboard you to make a sale. She was right on my heels the entire time, pressing me to pick a favorite and buy it the minute I walked in the door. During the interrogation, she was firing questions so rapidly I couldn't even finish answering before she interrupted with another one. I was so stressed, my heart was racing and I was begging my husband to get the lady off my back before I walked out. Also, it's becoming more clear their furniture is not the best quality, as Matthew at L.S. taught me about Flexsteel, differences in leather, and other things to look for. He said Ashley is what they call their "promotional furniture". Got it. Plus L.S. carries Ashley anyway and often at a lower price. No need to go back.

I also like L.S.'s accessory section. Got lots of nice 95% duck feather, 5% duck down pillows for the couch. Will be back for lots more.

Anyone try this place..
http://www.yelp.com/biz/furnishing-america-santa-ana

OP mentioned it in the first post.. would like some feedback.. they carry the same Jonathan Lewis line as Living Spaces and Macys...  but at cheaper prices.. if you know what you want.. seem like a good place to go.  They have a coupon in those house mailers for no tax and free delivery.. but will tack on an "assembly" charge..

Anyone been to "Just Like The Model"?http://www.justlikethemodel.com/- consignment furniture from model homes, located in Irvine (I think it moved from Fountain Valley?)

I've been wanting to go FOREVER, literally years. However, they are closed the only day I ever do furniture shopping.  :'(

If you're fond of Pottery Barn furniture, they regularly include 15% off coupon codes on their catalogs, or you can buy them off eBay for about $5.00.  Then go to Cardpool.com and see what is the biggest discount gift card between West Elm, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids and William and Sonoma, all these gift cards can be used at PB.  West Elm was cheapest for me recently at 9% off face value.  For purchases in the thousands of dollars, this can save you a few hundred dollars.

gaogi said:
If you're fond of Pottery Barn furniture, they regularly include 15% off coupon codes on their catalogs, or you can buy them off eBay for about $5.00.  Then go to Cardpool.com and see what is the biggest discount gift card between West Elm, Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn Kids and William and Sonoma, all these gift cards can be used at PB.  West Elm was cheapest for me recently at 9% off face value.  For purchases in the thousands of dollars, this can save you a few hundred dollars.

doh!  :'(  i just bought a dining table from PB yesterday.

UPDATE: Just got the table today.  I likey likey......  :D

Just got some outdoor furniture I ordered from Pottery Barn.  At those prices, I didn't expect to have to assemble it myself.

Back