Furniture store

javacly

We already visited those big name sofa retailer like LA-Z-Boy, Living Spaces, Bassett, Crate and Barrel and smaller ones like Furnishing America, Far below retail.
We like the ones at Crate and Barrel but $4000 for a sectional sofa is too pricy. Is there any other stores we should go?

Let's see...

Ashley Furniture
Easy Life

Same as you, I've been making the rounds. I purchased my new dining set through Wayfair.com but for a couch, I need to see it in person which leaves limited options.

Try Comforts of Home in Irvine (although really close to Lake Forest):
http://comfortsofhome.net/

They have C&B/Pottery Barn type furnishings but at lower prices. It's build to order so you have to wait... but you can save money. We bought our master bedroom set there and it turned out really nice.

There is also other threads here about furniture recs:
http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,724.0.htmlhttp://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,1784.0.html

Good luck and please let us know where you ended up buying.

Plummers is also known as Scandinavian Designs in Nor cal.

I have plenty of furniture from them and what I have found is their quality is not across the board. There are some pieces of furniture that has held up and other's that haven't and quality of stuff in their store is directly proportional to price (surprise..surprise) !

Otherwise in general they strike a good balance. Not too expensive. Not bad quality.

javacly said:
We already visited those big name sofa retailer like LA-Z-Boy, Living Spaces, Bassett, Crate and Barrel and smaller ones like Furnishing America, Far below retail.
We like the ones at Crate and Barrel but $4000 for a sectional sofa is too pricy. Is there any other stores we should go?

we bought a good size sectional at costco (the microfiber one) for about $800-900, there is one at plummers we like in irvine, similar in size, cognac colored leather, extremely comfortable, for about 3,600 + tax, so almost $4K, which i would guess is probably on the higher end of the price spectrum, but ive only been to living spaces and plummers and going to hit Far below Retail at some point in the near future. So im not sure what the going prices are.

ps9 said:
SoCal said:
I forgot Ethan Allen. But if you don't want to spend a lot, skip it.

Do they have modern furnishings now? :)

Or is it grandma style?

Of course. They always have had contemporary furniture... along with grandma's attic.  ;) They have 5 lines of furniture. I'd say 2 of them are are little old fogie'ish but the others are alright. The 5 lines are listed on the website:http://www.ethanallen.com

Actually, looking at their site, they don't seem to be as high as I remember them to be. More midrange. Certainly less than Bassett.

Can't forget Thomasville. That's another place for the original poster to look.

but if you want the furniture to last longer than a few years, be sure to read an article about what to look for about construction.

those $800 couches will likely have to be replaced every few years, while the $3000 one will last 20 years, with occasional recovering.

ps9 said:
Far below retail looks promising, saw their ad in the deal/coupon mag in the mail.  But some recent yelps makes me cautious...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/far-below-retail-santa-ana-2?sort_by=date_desc

Looks like they lost a lead salesperson
That is unfortunate, Christina was the one that helped me out.  I picked up a large square mirror (over the fireplace), my TV stand, coffee table, and cali king mattress from them last year when I moved in.  Price and service was great, it'd be a shame if that's changed. 

We ordered a bunch of furniture and stuck with Restoration Hardware, Room and Board, and Crate and Barrel.  Some people will say that's dumb and you can get stuff at a cheaper cost by going elsewhere.  That's fine, but I'm going to stick with these retailers.    So far, customer service at every place has been beyond spectacular.    Scuff on the couch, no problem!  Called up C&B and they are sending brand new pieces.  Still have more furniture to order and will continue with these retailers because so far so good.   

akim997 said:
We ordered a bunch of furniture and stuck with Restoration Hardware, Room and Board, and Crate and Barrel.  Some people will say that's dumb and you can get stuff at a cheaper cost by going elsewhere.  That's fine, but I'm going to stick with these retailers.    So far, customer service at every place has been beyond spectacular.    Scuff on the couch, no problem!  Called up C&B and they are sending brand new pieces.  Still have more furniture to order and will continue with these retailers because so far so good. 

Yep, I agree  :D

I will want to buy the sectional sofa from Crate and Barrel but we aren't ready to spend 4k on it, so we went to Macy Home.

USCTrojanCPA said:
ps9 said:
Far below retail looks promising, saw their ad in the deal/coupon mag in the mail.  But some recent yelps makes me cautious...
http://www.yelp.com/biz/far-below-retail-santa-ana-2?sort_by=date_desc

Looks like they lost a lead salesperson
That is unfortunate, Christina was the one that helped me out.  I picked up a large square mirror (over the fireplace), my TV stand, coffee table, and cali king mattress from them last year when I moved in.  Price and service was great, it'd be a shame if that's changed.

Went with your recommendation couple of weeks back. Got a great deal on king bed + mattress. The downside of course is that you pick from a catalog. But hard to go wrong with beds in general. Thanks for the tip.

homer_simpson said:
akim997 said:

Yep, I agree  :D

Don't forget Pottery Barn.  ;)

Back