Fun thread: Just how cheap are you?

Yep! I miss my Grandpa's chilli (he was a Chuck Wagon cook), so it was awsome but very hot as well not very healthy.

I think i'll ask Mom if she has the reciepe.

-bix

[quote author="Shooby" date=1216629654]Mmm....chili sounds good right about now...anyone have any good recipes?</blockquote>

I'm not much of a recipe person - I usually wing it but the chili I usually make goes as follows:

- 1 lb ground beef (I use the lean stuff) - ground turkey is good too, I've made it with ground pork but it's not as good for some reason and I like pork typically

- 1 can kidney beans

- 1 large onion

- 3-4 cloves of garlic (I love garlic so keep that in mind)

- can of tomatoes w/ jalapenos (Rotel is good but store brand is fine as well and usually cheaper)

- small can (8 oz) tomato paste (I don't always do this but I like to sneak in another fruit/veggie serving when possible)

- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni

- 1/2 to 1 cup water - enough water to let the elbow macaronis get cooked

- seasonings (store bought chili powder or use black pepper, cayenne pepper, cumin - to counter the negatives of beans on your disgestive system, salt) - I add hot sauce too b/c we like spicy

1) Brown the beef.

2) Meanwhile chop up the onion and garlic. Add towards the end of the browning process

3) Drain the fat - somepeople don't do this - I do

4) add everything but the macaroni

5) stir and add seasonings to taste, iterative (since I never have exactly the same amount of beef, size onion, etc. I start small and add more until it tastes right

6) add the macaroni and follow cooking instructions for this - usually 7-10 min at least. This is admittedly filler but we like it. If you don't do this you won't need as much water.

7) Serve w/ homemade pita chips (cut pitas in quarters and peel apart the two layers, bake at 300 degress for 10 min), store bought tortilla crisps, tostitos scoops, or I guess plain :)

As CalGal wrote, you can substitute different beans for the meat entirely. Veggie chili is really good. I've done that with beans and by adding cut up fresh or frozen squash in the final stages. If you have beans, some tomatos and some basic seasonings I think the rest is pretty flexible really.

I no longer run my servers and my laptop 24/7 to save electricity. My laser printer and scanner have sleep modes enabled. I only run my desktop 24/7 and it is configured to shut off my dual 24" LCD panels after 10 minutes of inactivity, and I'm moving from a big energy sucking dell managed switch to a small soho switch soon. The only thing I refuse to do is power down my raid disks on my desktop after inactivity--I'm just way to goddam impatient and I spent all this $$ building a fast disk subsystem anyways. I'm also building (or will purchase if I get lazy) a micro atx computer to reduce power consumption for the home theater I'm building and will tweak any hibernation/sleep settings on my TV and other equipment that I can find. I currently don't have TV or cable (nor will I ever pay for cable), so my electric bill will go up a little bit. There's only one portable lamp in the house and I'm cheap enough to drag it from room to room, depending on where I feel like reading at the time.

Oh and I have my road bike hooked up to my UPS so instead of sucking power from the grid I generate it! Just kidding, though, I did see a Good Eats episode where Alton Brown hooked up a crappy old beach cruiser he found at a junk yard via an engine belt to a generator with enough wattage to power a refrigerator. Maybe I'll look into that...

Aside from electronics, I keep all the windows open to let in sunlight in the mornings and evenings, and turn off lights whenever I leave a room. My electric bill as of last month was only $53, not bad. I am going to look into solar power too once I get a place of my own. Yippee!

More cheap electricity tips:

Use lightweight non-stick pans for cooking anything you need to cook so long as it is under medium heat (teflon coatings begin to deteriorate at higher temperatures). You'll get faster heat transfer in comparison to say a cast iron skillet or a heavy aluminum saute pan (sans copper conducting base) and waste less energy through heat dissipation. Plus you get to eat sooner. Now thats a win-win scenario.

Oh and before I go: <b>Don't be so cheap as to drop the temperature in your fridge too low.</b> Food that spoils faster = more wasted food = more $$ spent to buy replacement food for that which you just wasted. Keep the temperature in the low 40s. Lastly, get those tomatoes out of the fridge and put them on the counter so they can hang out at room temperature where they belong!

Has anyone watched <a href="http://www.livingwithed.net/">Living with Ed</a>?

He has some cool environmentally-friendly solutions.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1216443278]

For the garbanzo lovers, I would recommend <a href="http://orangette.blogspot.com/2007/01/brown-bag-it.html">this super easy garbanzo salad</a>.</blockquote>

I made this last night and it was easy and delicious! Thanks for sharing!

OK - I try and finish my holiday shopping and wrapping by Thanksgiving so I can enjoy the holiday season to its fullest and entertain during the holiday season without any holiday pressure. I can't stand shopping with the crowds or feeling rushed to buy just to buy. So, I started wrapping some presents yesterday and remembered another frugal thing that I do.

I wrap my presents in brown craft paper. Then I use the front of cards that I received in past years. Some of the cards we receive are so adorable, they make perfect wrapping paper. I used to use regular wrapping paper, but they always seemed to get beat up during shipping. The craft paper holds up really well and never has ripped during shipping.

Or I use the front of the cards as a tag and attach it to the handle of gift bags. Write the recipient's name on the back of the card.

:)

I used a $1 trial of this website: <a href="http://www.thegrocerygame.com/">The Grocery Game</a>

They have you clip coupons and tell you when the best time is to use 'em at the supermarkets. Many of the items I got were above 50% off and a large amount were even free! I think the cost depends on the # of stores you subscribe to... like $8 every two months for 1 store, $12 for 2, etc. It was pretty good, but since I started traveling a lot for business I couldn't keep up with it (or needed to buy many groceries).

On one occasion I got 3lbs of chicken breast, 4 boxes of cereal, 2 protein bars, Windex, a box of Rice-a-Roni, and a Glade spray for $9.

I bought used 8324 Opteron processors instead of new ones, saving me a couple grand.

I've also taken up drinking Laphroaig instead of Lagavulin, saving me about 40 bucks a bottle.

Del taco on tuesdays.

I save the bags that my WSJ comes in and stick them in my diaper bag. When I have a dirty diaper, I stuff them in the WSJ bag and tie up the end. It keeps the odors locked in and I save a ziploc bag.

maybe you should visit a physician about your incontinence issues?

I know the visits are expensive, but think how much you will save on diapers for the rest of your life!

[quote author="freedomCM" date=1218856800]maybe you should visit a physician about your incontinence issues?

I know the visits are expensive, but think how much you will save on diapers for the rest of your life!</blockquote>

LOL!!!

Here's one for those that have a professional dress environment at work: how many times do you wear your dress shirts/pants before you dry clean? Honestly?

I'll admit, twice.

[quote author="Shooby" date=1219826054]Here's one for those that have a professional dress environment at work: how many times do you wear your dress shirts/pants before you dry clean? Honestly?

I'll admit, twice.</blockquote>

I only dry-clean when they look/smell dirty. Clothes are a big investment, so I try to be very careful to stay neat when I'm wearing my fancy duds.

Shirts get dirtier faster, thus they get cleaned more frequently than suits. Hubby wears his shirts usually only once, but will wear twice if he's running low on shirts. The suits though, I can probably go about 5 or 6 times before I spill something on it and to the dry-cleaner it goes. Except when it gets really hot, then probably dry clean it more frequently if I've sweated in it. However, if I know it's going to be hot, I avoid going out during lunch. I'm always freezing cold at work, so don't sweat too much inside.

Wearing a suit only twice seems a bit frequent. I remember when I was starting out in the work world reading a WSJ article that said you really only have to dry clean suits like once or twice a quarter (as long as you don't spill anything on it or are a heavy sweater). Just did a google search, here's one tip sheet:

Mens Suit - Tips for Care and Clean Suit

<strong>To lengthen suits life, dry clean your suit only a few times a year or as needed. </strong>

Avoid more loads in your pockets, which could strain the joints.

Unbutton your jacket before you sit down. Also pull the pants up when you sit so you dont pull the fabric too much.

Hang your suit on a good wooden hanger and store it in a bag to protect it.

Brush your suit with a clothes brush when you take it off to keep it clean and looking good.

Avoid packing it in between lots of other clothes, which could cause it to wrinkle or chances to stamp effects of color from other dull color cloths.

To keep your suit looking crisp, have it pressed in between cleanings.

It is important that each suit can have at least one day?s rest after wearing to avoid it from wearing out fast.

Do not rub forcefully on stains or dirt to avoid it embedding into the fabric.

<strong>Buy mens suits that say Professionally dry clean only, then get it professionally dry cleaned and pressed every five or six wearing</strong>.

Never hot press or have heat treatment onto a stain on the suit, otherwise it will permanently imprint the stain.

The proper care for mans suit is to immediately remove any spots or stains.

[quote author="Shooby" date=1219826054]Here's one for those that have a professional dress environment at work: how many times do you wear your dress shirts/pants before you dry clean? Honestly?

I'll admit, twice.</blockquote>

Twice, unless I had to walk around outside in some hot weather. If I sweat a decent amount in it, I won't rewear it. Just seems to irritate my skin.

Back