Fun thread: Just how cheap are you?

[quote author="acpme" date=1215844826]i'm kind of a clotheshorse but i do a lot of shopping on ebay. i get shirts and suits custom-made from a local tailor which is actually cheaper than buying brand names. unfortunately acpmette likes the designer duds. SAD SAD wallet.

one of my buddies says he always takes his #2's at work to save on home TP usage. also he reasons, "it's a nice feeling knowing i'm getting paid for my poop time." good point...</blockquote>

Try Canal street in NY or Los Angeles for some really good knock-offs. It will save you a lot of money but not your marriage. sorry bad advice. Keep up the good LValidation.

[quote author="PANDA" date=1215932539]My wife is on this site a lothttp://www.missycoupons.com/

She is on this blog as much as I am on the Irvine Housing Blog.

It is a Korean website where women share information about bargains and coupons, and also experience women bonding. For example, I got couple of 40% off Borders Coupon, 20% off Macy's Coupons, 30% off on Kenneth Cole Shoes through this site. My wife and I are huge coupon fans. The one bad thing about this website is that it is Korean. I will start another topic called "Sharing Coupons" so that we start our own American version.

Panda</blockquote>

Panda sharing coupons is PANDARING.

Cheap - I'm the only person I know who actually patches clothes when they have holes

Having fun seeing how low I can get my gas bill by walking/biking instead, sometimes get it down to about $20/week

Looking forward to using my Albertsons raincheck to get the 69 cents/lb whole chicken in the next few days...

... it's an art form.

I spent 18 years of my life as a vegetarian, so when I decided to step into the world of omnivores, I was very conscious of the quality of life the animal had. Thus, I could only buy free range chicken, which I get at TJ's. I was in Albertson's last week and saw chicken so darn cheap that I sacfriced my convictions. The meat was such poor quality over the free range that I will never do it again. It had a lot more bone to meat than the free range, more gristle and fat, so price per pound isn't as big as you think and despite what I did with it, the meat just lacked great flavor. I've got to come up with another way to save $5.

[quote author="stepping_up" date=1216110516]I spent 18 years of my life as a vegetarian, so when I decided to step into the world of omnivores, I was very conscious of the quality of life the animal had. Thus, I could only buy free range chicken, which I get at TJ's. I was in Albertson's last week and saw chicken so darn cheap that I sacfriced my convictions. The meat was such poor quality over the free range that I will never do it again. It had a lot more bone to meat than the free range, more gristle and fat, so price per pound isn't as big as you think and despite what I did with it, the meat just lacked great flavor. I've got to come up with another way to save $5.</blockquote>

Those are probably fryers. If you make your own stock or chicken soup, they might be good for that.

There is a Korean supermarket where Vons used to be (before moving to Orchard Hills) at the corner of Irvine Blvd and Yale (Northwood area). Every Friday/Saturday/Sunday, they have serious discounts on several items. So far, I have brought the following items for 1 cent (yes, a penny) a bunch or per pound - red leaf romaine lettuce, cabbage, green onion, honeydew and more. Note, they have different lost leader item(s) every week. There are other great vegi and fruits that they offer daily that are very reasonable. For example, fresh shiitake mushroom is always 2.99 per pound, portobello is often on sale at 2.49 per pound and brocolli is often 33 cents per pound, etc. This past weekend, you could get brown onion at 20 lbs for 99 cents (= 5 cents a pound). Here is the link if you wish to check it every week before you go. New ads comes out every Friday.

http://www.zionmarket.com/irvine.php

p.s. If you like Nobu's black cod in miso marinate, you can get the whole black cod fish (be warned, with head) for $3.99 a pound. It has been on sale for the past few weeks at $2.99 a pound. I guess the fish is in season?

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1216112099][quote author="stepping_up" date=1216110516]I spent 18 years of my life as a vegetarian, so when I decided to step into the world of omnivores, I was very conscious of the quality of life the animal had. Thus, I could only buy free range chicken, which I get at TJ's. I was in Albertson's last week and saw chicken so darn cheap that I sacfriced my convictions. The meat was such poor quality over the free range that I will never do it again. It had a lot more bone to meat than the free range, more gristle and fat, so price per pound isn't as big as you think and despite what I did with it, the meat just lacked great flavor. I've got to come up with another way to save $5.</blockquote>

Those are probably fryers. If you make your own stock or chicken soup, they might be good for that.</blockquote>

I freeze the carcasses of the free range guys until I have 3 or 4 and then make stock. I can't believe that I can use the word carcass in the same sentence that refers to food. There's only so much you can do with tofu.

I go through a pair of shoes every six weeks playing tennis and always wait for a sale of my favorite Reebok to go from $49.99 to $29.99 at Big 5 before buying a few pairs. Not exactly cheap but when it comes to comfort and traction, it's worth spending the money.

Keanu, did you buy the 1cent per pound canary melons? I wish I could go back in time and buy a whole lot more.

Zion Market is a great place to go for cheap produce. I wrote that in another thread somewhere but forgot where. I have not been to Super Irvine though.

My GF and I like to juice our own juice and 99cent/lb apples, super cheap carrots, and super cheap celery actually makes it economical to juice your own juice.

My cheapness is interesting as I will never buy a canary melon for 1.29/lb like they have it at Ralphs. Once I purchase something for a set price over an extended period of time, I always expect that price. Who will pay 4 dollars for a small box of triscuits??? Id get them for less than or equal to 2 dollars a box. I was actually surprised that I paid 1.29 for a big burger at Carls Jr. today. But the only way I justified that purchase was that I drove by Rubio's Baja Grill first and almost paid 4 dollars for lunch, so even at 1.29 a burger, I saved money.

Speaking of cereal on sale. My GF and I always end up buying at least 4 boxes of cereal when its priced 1.50 to 2.00 per box.

[quote author="gwailo168" date=1216121670]Keanu, did you buy the 1cent per pound canary melons? I wish I could go back in time and buy a whole lot more. </blockquote>

Yep! For two weekends, two different melons were a penny a pound. I live close enough that I usually buy just one first to see if it is any good. Then, I would go back for more later. I think I brought 9 melons for about 30 cents.

[quote author="gwailo168" date=1216121670] My cheapness is interesting as I will never buy a canary melon for 1.29/lb like they have it at Ralphs. Once I purchase something for a set price over an extended period of time, I always expect that price. </blockquote>

Me too. My weekly meals and fruit snacks are now plan around Zion's sale items of the week.

Coupons! I have never used them before this year, now I won't miss a Sunday paper. Grocery stores change their sales/adds every wed. So I check online every Wed morning. The trick is finding an item on sale that you have a coupon for. There are always coupons for razors, deodorant, dishwasher detergent, etc. I just save them in my purse until I see them on sale. As soon as they go on sale with club card I use my coupon and get things for a steal. It has become some what of a hobby--if I dont save at least $30 per visit I get frustrated, and feel like I lost the game for the week.

[quote author="BMP 309" date=1216203704]Coupons! I have never used them before this year, now I won't miss a Sunday paper. Grocery stores change their sales/adds every wed. So I check online every Wed morning. The trick is finding an item on sale that you have a coupon for. There are always coupons for razors, deodorant, dishwasher detergent, etc. I just save them in my purse until I see them on sale. As soon as they go on sale with club card I use my coupon and get things for a steal. It has become some what of a hobby--if I dont save at least $30 per visit I get frustrated, and feel like I lost the game for the week.</blockquote>
Welcome to the coupon club! Pavilions and Ralphs have double coupons. :)

I changed my driving habits, <strong>Days of Thunder to Driving Miss Daisy.</strong>

Gets me an exta 75-90 miles per tank.

The left lane's for really rich folk.

With the money I save by driving a bit mellow-er, I plan to splurge on my turbo/diesel/hybrid which will smoke the doors of the E55 that almost clipped me on the 405.

[quote author="CalGal" date=1216203876][quote author="BMP 309" date=1216203704]Coupons! I have never used them before this year, now I won't miss a Sunday paper. Grocery stores change their sales/adds every wed. So I check online every Wed morning. The trick is finding an item on sale that you have a coupon for. There are always coupons for razors, deodorant, dishwasher detergent, etc. I just save them in my purse until I see them on sale. As soon as they go on sale with club card I use my coupon and get things for a steal. It has become some what of a hobby--if I dont save at least $30 per visit I get frustrated, and feel like I lost the game for the week.</blockquote>
Welcome to the coupon club! Pavilions and Ralphs have double coupons. :)</blockquote>

Ralphs has a new program going on. They will only double up to $1 now. But with their new club card they send you a check for 1% of what you spend 4 times a year. (I think that's the new deal--not positive) I shop at Pavillions alot because of their double coupons...

<em>I go dumpster diving behind Albertson?s regularly</em>

omg ! :gulp:

While it sounds like a noble effort, I think I would be more concerned with filth and disease in said dumpster. You are a brave soul !

[quote author="Astute Observer" date=1216242929]I go dumpster diving behind Albertson's regularly. You be amazed at what they throw out. Got a whole case of seedless green thompson, and they are still in good shape. Really ripe bananas that great for banana bread, etc.</blockquote>

When I was a kid we had quite a few rabbits. I used to go to the grocery store and ask the produce manager for whatever they were throwing away (before it goes in the dumpster) that day for my bunnies. Yeah, I couldn't believe how edible most of it still was. Maybe instead of actually going into the trash, you could just tell them you have rabbits.

Hmmm.... let's see...

Subject: Astute Observer's Potluck + Just how cheap are you?

Hey, I think we just might be able to make this work!

Let's see... we'll send one group of IHB'rs to Orchard Hills for the Avacados (gotta have guacamole!)

and we'll send the other group of IHB'rs to the Strawberry fields in the middle of the night (Desert = Strawberry Shortcake!)

I think this might just be the cheapest potluck ever! ;-P

Oh, Stepping Up should bring Tomatoes!!!!

At least once a week I make a dinner out of mostly beans - hummus w/ homemade pita chips, rice and beans, or lentil stew w/ veggies. I make enough for dinner for two and usually have enough left-overs for 2 lunches.

Back