Frozen Yogurt fans or for those who've never tried the tart-flavored frozen yogurt

Chipotle is generating some activities. You may want to piggy back that trail of patrons and offer a free trial to Chipotle customers. Most would not venture down to the deep end of the parking lot where you are at. Irvinite like IHO would be afraid to drive west of the 55 so don't waste your time concentrating on Irvine customers. Besides, there are 2 yogurtlands between you and them.

Shabu is going in your center and Asians will go anywhere for good food. Increase your exposure to the Asian crowd. I know your concept is to provide an inviting atmosphere for people to gather and socialize, study, internet surfing and etc like Starbuck but yogurt has short cup life like 15 minutes unlike coffee or tea that last for hours where customers could stay longer to chat and meet.

Right environment and atmosphere is crucial for people to linger around. Learn from Starbuck's color palette and texture. This company has spent millions in research to create an earth tone color palette, lighting and furnishing scheme. It is Starbucks corporate identity. Gypsy Den is successful offering yogurt, ice cream, coffee, tea, latte and other dessert items to entice customers to gather and linger. Its interior is Bohemian with mood lighting. You need WOOD in your interior to warm it up a bit.

Cantaloop obviously has its corporate colors that represent healthy, green, natural and sanitary but the colors were developed to encourage people to eat and split. The cleanliness is great just like a hospital but it is also a little sterile for comfort.

Sorry for being frank. Part of my work is to trouble shoot under performing RE developments. I research unsuccessful solutions and find a way to improve them.

Your proximity to the driveway entrance is a big problem and there is no cure for that.

Good luck.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1241611777]Chipotle is generating some activities. You may want to piggy back that trail of patrons and offer a free trial to Chipotle customers. Most would not venture down to the deep end of the parking lot where you are at. Irvinite like IHO would be afraid to drive west of the 55 so don't waste your time concentrating on Irvine customers. Besides, there are 2 yogurtlands between you and them.

Shabu is going in your center and Asians will go anywhere for good food. Increase your exposure to the Asian crowd. I know your concept is to provide an inviting atmosphere for people to gather and socialize, study, internet surfing and etc like Starbuck but yogurt has short cup life like 15 minutes unlike coffee or tea that last for hours where customers could stay longer to chat and meet.

Right environment and atmosphere is crucial for people to linger around. Learn from Starbuck's color palette and texture. This company has spent millions in research to create an earth tone color palette, lighting and furnishing scheme. It is Starbucks corporate identity. Gypsy Den is successful offering yogurt, ice cream, coffee, tea, latte and other dessert items to entice customers to gather and linger. Its interior is Bohemian with mood lighting. You need WOOD in your interior to warm it up a bit.

Cantaloop obviously has its corporate colors that represent healthy, green, natural and sanitary but the colors were developed to encourage people to eat and split. The cleanliness is great just like a hospital but it is also a little sterile for comfort.

Sorry for being frank. Part of my work is to trouble shoot under performing RE developments. I research unsuccessful solutions and find a way to improve them.

Your proximity to the driveway entrance is a big problem and there is no cure for that.

Good luck.</blockquote>

Great advice and it's free.

Hey Bk,

Between Yogurtland and Pinkberry . Which concept is better: the self-serve Yogurtland or the employee-assisted Pinkberry? We would love to hear your analysis. Between the 2, I do like the taste of Pinkberry's yogurt (sour/tangy). Yogurtland is too sweet for my taste.

Would it be safe to say that Yogurtland = McDonald's while Pinkberry = Starbucks?

[quote author="reason" date=1241620972]Hey Bk,

Between Yogurtland and Pinkberry . Which concept is better: the self-serve Yogurtland or the employee-assisted Pinkberry? We would love to hear your analysis. Between the 2, I do like the taste of Pinkberry's yogurt (sour/tangy). Yogurtland is too sweet for my taste.

Would it be safe to say that Yogurtland = McDonald's while Pinkberry = Starbucks?</blockquote>
Yougurtland FTW! I go to the one in Brea off Imperial once a week during lunchtime.

the self service really bothers me now and here's why. every time i'd go to yogurtland, i'd find myself in line next to a bunch of teenagers and watch them load up one of those gargantuan cups with every flavor. original tart + chocolate + peanut butter + blueberry tart = disgusting looking. then i watch them dump piles of condensed milk, chocolate syrup, cap'n crunch, mochi balls, and fresh fruit on top of that. all that and the fact the yogurt machines and toppings bar are now a disgusting mess, really turns me off from the place.

i'll drive to pinkberry at spectrum or district even though there's two yogurtlands within half a mile of home.

[quote author="acpme" date=1241653100]the self service really bothers me now and here's why. every time i'd go to yogurtland, i'd find myself in line next to a bunch of teenagers and watch them load up one of those gargantuan cups with every flavor. original tart + chocolate + peanut butter + blueberry tart = disgusting looking. then i watch them dump piles of condensed milk, chocolate syrup, cap'n crunch, mochi balls, and fresh fruit on top of that. all that and the fact the yogurt machines and toppings bar are now a disgusting mess, really turns me off from the place.

i'll drive to pinkberry at spectrum or district even though there's two yogurtlands within half a mile of home.</blockquote>

That is so true. Haha! I always send my wife into Yogurtland b/c of this. Almost everytime she comes out. She would be irritated with the kids loading up on their yogurt cups. Not to mention how certain customers would sample everything for the 10th times they have been there.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1241611777]Chipotle is generating some activities. You may want to piggy back that trail of patrons and offer a free trial to Chipotle customers. Most would not venture down to the deep end of the parking lot where you are at. Irvinite like IHO would be afraid to drive west of the 55 so don't waste your time concentrating on Irvine customers. Besides, there are 2 yogurtlands between you and them.

Good luck.</blockquote>

Thanks for the advice. You confirmed a lot of my hunches and we actually started implementing new strategy and tactics. We finally got all the new furniture in the store. Come by and check it out. We also added some lamps which softens the lighting. Looks great at night!

Also from a product standpoint, we are moving more towards a "Design your own ..." We'll have customer-driven menus in which customers can actually pick which ingredients go into their smoothie or yogurt. After the customer chooses, we'll make and blend the yogurt on the spot. In addition we're adding a slew of new drinks including slushies and Boba Milk tea.

Self-serve is convenient and we know that they cater to a particular audience. What self-serve doesn't have is SERVICE. Therefore I am challenging our employees to go the extra mile for customers. If you do happen to dine at Cantaloop, please let me know if you noticeably see whether our employees make an extra effort. I'd like to know if this message has sunk in and would be curious about your experience.

Finally we have pumped up marketing and have already started co-marketing with our neighbors. Please visit our neighbors and let them know that Cantaloop sent you. You may get lucky and get a free burrito or 20% off your nails. ;) In the same way, they, too, have been open to allowing us to hand out coupons and promos.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I know that there are a lot of options when it comes to yogurt, and this is the time for Cantaloop (store) to set itself apart from the competition.

Hope to see you on Free Yogurt Day or some other time! Just bumped into IR2 today. Really great to see him again.

[quote author="cantaloop" date=1241872908]Just bumped into IR2 today. Really great to see him again.</blockquote>

Great... just great, is there any yogurt left? That guy sure knows how to take advantage of a freebie. I wanna come by, but I'm afraid IR2 will have eaten all the lychee and raspberries. You know... you can kick him out if he has been there for over four hours. He has homes to sell ya know. :coolhmm:

The one big advantage with self serve for us is the ability to determine quantity, number of flavors and number of toppings. Even when adding 4 or 5 different toppings, what we get at either a Yogurtland or TuttiFrutti will cost less than Red Mango or Pinkberry.

The whole family can get yogurt for less than $10, but that usually translates to $15 or more at non-self serve places... even Golden Spoon. Speaking of, I think if you're going to be non-self serve, I would consider a bigger variety of flavors and products (the slushies and bobas sound like a good start). That's usually why we'll pick Golden Spoon over the others is because of the flavor variety.

We haven't been to Cantaloop yet but intend to because from what I've read here... the owners really care about their business and serving their customers. In fact, they were a sponsor at a memorial concert last year for someone I know who died of cancer and we always wanted to check in and say thanks.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242087066]The one big advantage with self serve for us is the ability to determine quantity, number of flavors and number of toppings. Even when adding 4 or 5 different toppings, what we get at either a Yogurtland or TuttiFrutti will cost less than Red Mango or Pinkberry.

The whole family can get yogurt for less than $10, but that usually translates to $15 or more at non-self serve places... even Golden Spoon. Speaking of, I think if you're going to be non-self serve, I would consider a bigger variety of flavors and products (the slushies and bobas sound like a good start). That's usually why we'll pick Golden Spoon over the others is because of the flavor variety.

We haven't been to Cantaloop yet but intend to because from what I've read here... the owners really care about their business and serving their customers. In fact, they were a sponsor at a memorial concert last year for someone I know who died of cancer and we always wanted to check in and say thanks.</blockquote>

First, take a deep breath, you will be driving out of Irvine.

The symptoms of sweaty forehead and palms are normal for dealing with anxiety.

You will be exiting 17th street off the 55. You heart beat may reach over 220 beat per minute but this is only temporary. It will not lead to a heart attack.

Now you will be heading WEST of the 55.

Oops, I forgot to mention to bring a bottle and now your floor mat is all pee soaked.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1242110438][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242087066]The one big advantage with self serve for us is the ability to determine quantity, number of flavors and number of toppings. Even when adding 4 or 5 different toppings, what we get at either a Yogurtland or TuttiFrutti will cost less than Red Mango or Pinkberry.

We haven't been to Cantaloop yet but intend to because from what I've read here... the owners really care about their business and serving their customers. In fact, they were a sponsor at a memorial concert last year for someone I know who died of cancer and we always wanted to check in and say thanks.</blockquote>

You will be exiting 17th street off the 55. You heart beat may reach over 220 beat per minute but this is only temporary. It will not lead to a heart attack.

Oops, I forgot to mention to bring a bottle and now your floor mat is all pee soaked.</blockquote>

Bk, I swear this is what happens to me when I drive <strong></strong><strong>to</strong><strong></strong> Irvine. Just ask SoCal.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242111049][quote author="bkshopr" date=1242110438][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1242087066]The one big advantage with self serve for us is the ability to determine quantity, number of flavors and number of toppings. Even when adding 4 or 5 different toppings, what we get at either a Yogurtland or TuttiFrutti will cost less than Red Mango or Pinkberry.

Oops, I forgot to mention to bring a bottle and now your floor mat is all pee soaked.</blockquote>

Bk, I swear this is what happens to me when I drive <strong></strong><strong>to</strong><strong></strong> Irvine. Just ask SoCal.</blockquote>

The fear of being trapped in a maze where many streets dead end into an exactly same size culdesac and unable to identify your bearing because all houses, garages, trees and streets looking similar are perfectly normal reaction.

Do not worry when you get mugged from behind. The wetness behind your neck is not your sweat but in fact the melting of an icicle gun.

This might be admitting too much but once long ago when I attended my first class at UCI for my teaching credential and I was driving home at night, after about 45 minutes of total disorientation and general complete loss of any sense of direction, I somehow ended up in line for the Balboa Ferry :red:. Since then there has scarcely been a time when I haven't become lost somehow when driving to Irvine. Even my GPS gets lost.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242111049][quote author="bkshopr" date=1242110438]

Bk, I swear this is what happens to me when I drive <strong></strong><strong>to</strong><strong></strong> Irvine. Just ask SoCal.</blockquote>

Well you may have been a little anxious, but you definitely were not reeking of urine, that I could tell anyway.

[quote author="cantaloop" date=1241872908]

Also from a product standpoint, we are moving more towards a "Design your own ..." We'll have customer-driven menus in which customers can actually pick which ingredients go into their smoothie or yogurt. After the customer chooses, we'll make and blend the yogurt on the spot. In addition we're adding a slew of new drinks including slushies and Boba Milk tea.

</blockquote>

I love the idea of designing my own yogurt flavor. I hope it works out. I'll want to come in and try it out!

On the "Design Your Own" thing... there was a place in Triangle Square called Humphrey Yogurt that basically did with a machine and yogurt that Stone Cold does by hand and with ice cream (I think they were in Metro Pointe too)... I liked that place a lot.

That is actually a nice twist on the FroYo trend as they are more like blended yogurts than just yogurt with toppings... when will this be available?

How about "feature pairings" or something like this. At Yogurtland, for example, I almost always get the NY Cheesecake yogurt, graham cracker crumbs, and strawberries which is like a poor man's strawberry cheesecake (I know, very masculine...). This combo keeps me going back though. I am sure there are some other great yogurt/topping combinations that are addictive and it might help to promote these and change them up on a weekly or daily basis.

Back