Fed lowers rates

The Fed cut helps the people who can and will eventually buy (10-20% down, fixed rate, with good credit 700+ FICO).

It gives the banks a reason to lend money since their cost of funds just went down thus easier to find financing for the buyers.

The Liquidity faucet just started to drip again.

Optimus. I disagree in that I do not believe that the lending issues are related to the fed rate but the fear factor. The banks do not want to hand out loans to any one other than the most secured and creditworthy borrowers. It is not a matter of a lack of funds, it is a lack of trust. No one in the secondary market wants any of these mortgage-backed securities and thus the lenders are stuck with carrying the loans themselves.

I do not think that the 0.5 percent drop will do anything but the prime borrowers, who are not affected by this "credit crunch" anyways.

Throughout its decade long recession in the 1990s, Japan's Fed fund rate was 0.5%

<em>"Mishkin is the one who implied in Jackson Hole that rate cutting and keep inflation in check can go hand by hand. "</em>

Can someone enlighten me as to how this can be possible?

Hmmmm...Irvine Commuter....you sure about that? Fed cutting rates helps spur liquidity.

You think the "Creditworthy borrowers" aren't having a tough time borrowing? How do you suppose Jumbo Loans are upwards of 7%???

If you re-read what I've posted in this thread...

1. This cut does NOTHING for the F-ed borrowers who are looking at anything...refi out of this mess.

2. This cut encourages banks to start lending again...not at their insane pace but not at their zero pace the past month.

3. This cut by the US Fed is showing the other Central Banks.....gotten start loosening the screws.

Optimus. .. I guess I just have a different outlook than you. I think that most of "creditworthy" buyers who are buying were not deterred by the 0.5 percent. Some may have but most would have bought anyways. On the flip side, I do not believe there are many people who are now calling their brokers and mortgage person to get in on the house because of the Fed cut.

The Fed's cut will help to oil up some commercial transactions but will do almost nothing for the real estate market.

<p>First mortgage rates are on the RISE. </p>

<p>Conforming mortgages bought by Fannie Mae and/or Freddie Mac are priced based on the FNMA and FNMC Bonds. Mortgages bought by non-gov't investors are priced based on the bond market. Yields are flying today as money is flowing into domestic an foreign stocks. Bond prices are falling. Longer term debt is now requiring a higher rate of return to offset inflation.</p>

<p>If banks lent their own money towards mortgages than rates would drop, but most banks sell most 1st mortgages. Equity lines based off the prime rate will drop as the Prime rate will most certainly drop to 7.75% by month's end.</p>

lendingmaestro,

I also wonder if mortgage rates may start to rise to compensate for the inevitable inflation this FED rate cut will create.

<p>In addition to this, my bank as well as 2 other major banks are raising their profit margins for all mortgages across all credit grades. This means a borrower's rate could increase even if market conditons bring market rates down. The risk right now is heightened and banks need to make more per loan.</p>

<p>Funny, IR, you asked that as I was typing this response. Banks are constantly reassessing profit margins, and if they see inflation rising, it will need to increase profit margins. This is done one of 2 ways: either investors start purchasing loans for more money, or they charge the borrower more. In case anyone hasn't noticed, investors as paying LESS for mortgages, much less.</p>

<a href="http://www.cnbc.com/id/20826224">www.cnbc.com/id/20826224</a>

Dollar Hits Record Low Against Euro After Fed Cut

FOREIGN EXCHANGE

By Reuters

Reuters

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">

function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) {

var n = document.getElementById("udtD");

if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) {

var dt = new DateTime();

pdt = dt.T2D(pdt);

if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));}

}

}

UpdateTimeStamp('633257402032000000');</script>

<p class="textBodyBlack">The dollar fell to a record low versus the euro on Tuesday after the Federal Reserve cut its key interest rate by an aggressive half a percentage point to prevent the U.S. economy from weakening further on turmoil in the credit and housing markets.</p>

<p class="textBodyBlack">Policy-makers reduced the benchmark lending rate between banks by the most since November 2002 to 4.75 percent, the lowest level since May last year. It was the first rate cut in four years. The Fed also lowered the discount rate it charges for direct loans to banks by a half-point. </p>

<p class="textBodyBlack">Traders sold the dollar as lower rates make U.S. dollar-denominated assets less attractive. Financial markets had widely expected the Fed to lower overnight borrowing costs by at least 25 basis points, but were split over whether the move would be a more aggressive half-point.</p>

<p class="textBodyBlack">"A 50 basis point cut in the funds rate and the discount rate is a brave opening gambit in the easing cycle from a Fed chairman that for credibility reasons was expected to err on the side of caution," said Alan Ruskin, chief international strategist at RBS Greenwich Capital, in Greenwich, Conn.</p>

<p class="textBodyBlack">He said the move will also cause some to question the Fed's inflation-fighting credentials.</p>

<p class="textBodyBlack">Against the dollar, the euro was 0.7 percent higher to trade at $1.3962, after earlier trading at a record high of $1.3977. The dollar pared some of its early gains against the yen to trade at 115.70 yen.</p>

<p class="textBodyBlack">"Today's action is intended to help forestall some of the adverse effects on the broader economy that might otherwise arise from the disruptions in financial markets and to promote moderate growth over time," the Fed said in a statement outlining its decision.</p>

<p class="textBodyBlack">Omer Esiner, a market analyst at Ruesch International in Washington, said, "The accompanying statement sounds a somewhat cautious tone, pointing out the Fed is a bit more worried about the fallout from the recent financial market turmoil."</p>

<p class="textBodyBlack"><strong>The dollar fell nearly 1 percent against the Canadian dollar to trade at 1.0164, a 30-year low. Some analysts said recent oil price highs above $80 and lower U.S. interest rates may soon push the greenback to parity with its Canadian counterpart, a level last seen in 1976.</strong></p>

<p class="textBodyBlack">The high-yielding New Zealand dollar also rose 2 percent to $0.7205, while the Australian dollar was up 1.8 percent at $0.8490.</p>

Copyright 2007 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication

Loss ground to the Euros I can take but the Canadians!!!!

<p>During WWII the Americans dumped airplane-loads of German (counterfeit) currency throughout the German countryside to devalue it.</p>

<p>It almost seems like we have a new civil war in our country between the debters and savers. By opening the money spicket, those with savings will have their "cache" diluted.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>So by lower rates this will devalue the dollars. Does this mean a 500k home will cost 520k? Because it'll take more dollars to purchase said home?</p>

<p> </p>

My understanding is that the 500K houses will still be 500K but it will cost you $80 to fill up your gas tank and $800 to fill up your fridge.

The devaluation of the dollar would have impact on commodity based prices here in the U.S. You can also forget about traveling anywhere outside of the country though.

<p>Inflation has a direct impact on items that you purchase with cash, or credit cards. Financed items are impacted more by financing terms. Inflation will actually cause an increasing in long term rates. Since home prices are a function of interest rates they will fall as rates rise.</p>

But there has to be a correlation. If it takes more to fill up the gas tank and the fridge. We're still talking about the dollars. So we can't say I will pay alot for other items. But this dollar devaluation has no relation to home prices?

Back