EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

• All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla

Votes: 27 54.0%
  • EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Hydrogen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters
Tesla rep is correct about 10k miles = 4000kwh. I just charged 27kwh using supercharger and mile deduction is 68 miles from 10k miles. It’s about 2.5 miles per kwh.
What did your car show though, the mileage before and after charging? Is the difference 68 miles?

New Model Y owner here, so learning the ropes. How often do you guys charge? Is it bad to charge only once every 3-4 days? Online opinions are all over the place. Some say you should charge every night regardless, others say it's fine to let it get down to 20%-30% before charging.
Tesla says to charge every day, even to 100% because, supposedly, LFP batteries don't deteriorate when charging to 100%.

However, we only charge our M3 on the mornings that my wife works from home, now that we've installed solar panels. I set the output to 18A and the limit to 88%. At 32A, it would take 7.8kW to charge and my solar panels are only producing up to 4.5kW right now. When setting to 18A, it would take about 4.4kW to charge. I can't set the output to lower because it would take too long.

What did your car show though, the mileage before and after charging? Is the difference 68 miles?
I only use battery % indicator. I charged from 50ish% to 85%. It showed that 27kwh was charged. My free 10k miles number got reduced to 9932 miles. 68 / 27 = 2.5 miles/kwh. My guess is that this is the formula Tesla uses.

I dont use mileage indicator. It’s all bs. I use %. Some people suggest using estimate based on last 30 miles from energy graph app inside the car. It’s more precise.

My charged time is around 12 this afternoon. Cost was $14. It is getting expensive to use supercharger.

I only use battery % indicator. I charged from 50ish% to 85%. It showed that 27kwh was charged. My free 10k miles number got reduced to 9932 miles. 68 / 27 = 2.5 miles/kwh. My guess is that this is the formula Tesla uses.

I dont use mileage indicator. It’s all bs. I use %. Some people suggest using estimate based on last 30 miles from energy graph app inside the car. It’s more precise.

My charged time is around 12 this afternoon. Cost was $14. It is getting expensive to use supercharger.
So it's not a real indication of miles you actually charge. It's like you said, Tesla just converted from kWh charged into miles based on 2.5miles/kWh.

If we do the actually math, from 50% to 85% is 35%. Your MY LR's range is 330. That means you've charged 115 miles, not 68 miles. But that's just the formula Tesla uses, which is to your advantage.

Tesla says to charge every day, even to 100% because, supposedly, LFP batteries don't deteriorate when charging to 100%.
This is correct only for LFP batteries. In the US, I believe only the 2022+ RWD Model 3 has the LFP battery.

--

For the other Tesla vehicles, you'll get a warning message if you repeatedly charge to 100%.
For these, I'll wait for the charge to go low and then charge up to 70-90%. If I'm going on a trip I'll charge to 100%. I'll also charge to 100% if I know I'm going to use the car shortly after it is done charging. My understanding is that you don't want the battery to sit at 100% and not be used. But I've done that plenty of times too so I wouldn't worry too much if it happens.

As an example, I've got 70 miles of range remaining tonight. Instead of charging it tonight, I'll charge it after taking the kids to school tomorrow morning (it'll be ~40 miles of range at that point). And I'll charge it to perhaps 80%. If I'm picking the kids up tomorrow after school, I'll charge it to 100%

Last edited:
I follow this guideline from Tesla. However, i only plug in during super off peak hours (8-4) to charge at the rate my solar panels generate. If i need to fill it up when battery is low, i try to use free supercharger miles for now.

2.5mi/kWh is very low, which actually is a good thing in this case because you end up getting more kWh. RWD M3 you can get close to 4mi/kWh if you don't drive like a maniac.

2.5mi/kWh is very low, which actually is a good thing in this case because you end up getting more kWh. RWD M3 you can get close to 4mi/kWh if you don't drive like a maniac.
If Tesla specs could be trusted, you're supposed to get about 5.4mi/kWh on RWD M3, since the range is 270 miles on a 50kWh battery.

New Model Y owner here, so learning the ropes. How often do you guys charge? Is it bad to charge only once every 3-4 days? Online opinions are all over the place. Some say you should charge every night regardless, others say it's fine to let it get down to 20%-30% before charging.

Not sure for the Tesla but for Taycans I've heard that you can run the car down to 10-30% and to charge back up to 80-85%, only charge to 100% when absolutely needing it for longer trips.

Porsche also provides free 30-min charging at Electrify America stations for 3 years and there are 3 locations in Irvine so I'll use one of those stations periodically when I'm roaming around doing my real estate rounds.

Tesla just cut prices on all models. Model 3 and Model Y are not qualified for EV tax credit.

Musk is on the mission to destroy other EV companies.

• Model 3 RWD: $43,990 (from $46,990, a 6.4% drop)
  • Model 3 P: $53,990 ($62,990, 14.2% drop)
  • Model Y Long Range: $52,990 (from $65,990, a 20% drop)
  • Model Y P: $56,990 (from $69,990, a 18.6% drop)
Must be a great feeling to have bought a Y in December :cautious:

Edit: on the bright side the Y LR qualifies for the tax credit now.

That Model Y LR with the tax credit looks like an incredible deal.

The Plaid S for $115k is sweet too

I bought MYLR in Dec. I paid $59k after tesla discount. When you drive your car off dealer lot, it’s an instant depreciation anyways. 😀

We’ll see even more Tesla in irvine and crowded supercharger stations.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Tesla stock do tomorrow. To inestors, it’s all about # of cars sold.

interesting; since Tesla does not have dealerships, this is akin to dealership dropping markups above MSRP (recent phenomena due to supply chain shortage and Covid stimulus high). So there is really nothing to see here as the entire auto industry is getting back to normal and the higher interest rate is doing its job to reduce inflation

Yeah, if you qualify for the tax credit this is the cheapest the MYLR/MYP has ever been. Even base price w/o tax credit, this is cheapest MYP has ever been. Crazy.

Did anyone else see the Jay Leno interview in the 22 Year in Review WSJ issue? He sold his 7 year old Model S for $95K and bought a Plaid, waxing about the resale value. Those days are over.

Yep I'm one of those (now) suckers who bought in late December as well. Kind of annoying but oh well, at least we got grey color included and now costs extra $1k... trying to find a silver lining here.

Only a few more Model Y in OC inventory that qualify for the EV tax credit (under $55k msrp), probably both will be gone by today. Elon knows how to clear out the inventory. I planned to keep it for many years anyhow but still hurts to think of the nice trip I could have taken with the extra $.

Back