Dogs

Happiness

I am interested in getting a dog for companionship but have little experience with pets.  Is it better to raise a dog from a puppy or get an adult dog?  Where is a good place to get a dog?  Is it possible to tell before you get the dog if the dog has psychological problems?  Recommended breeds?  Breeds to avoid?  Thanks

Happiness said:
I am interested in getting a dog for companionship but have little experience with pets.  Is it better to raise a dog from a puppy or get an adult dog?  Where is a good place to get a dog?  Is it possible to tell before you get the dog if the dog has psychological problems?  Recommended breeds?  Breeds to avoid?  Thanks

Congrats on your decision! I love dogs! I highly recommend adopting a dog from a shelter.
Do you have little kids? Are you at home a lot or will you be able to give them some exercise (walk at least once a day)? These are some questions to see what dogs would suit you.

Golden Retrievers and Labradors are great with kids but these are big dogs and rarely found at shelters. Puppies need a lot of attention and will need you to potty train. They also tend to be more "wild" than adult dogs and could tear up some furniture and pee/poo everywhere.

You can visit the shelter a few times and play with the dogs to see if their behavior is what you're looking for.

Whatever dog you decide, please know it's a huge commitment. Please do not just leave them in the backyard and play with them when you want. I say this because yesterday I saw a husky in my neighborhood wandering around. It ran out onto the streets (cars going 45mph). It got hit, his foot was torn off but otherwise in good spirits. I took him to the vet. I went back after work and they told me they found the owners but the owners decided not to go through with the surgery and they euthanized him. It was one of the saddest moments for me to witness him get hit, lose his foot, and then know he died. I wanted to find the owners to punch them. Sorry had to vent!

I don't have little kids but I do work so one of my questions is how long a dog can go between meals if I can't make it home during the day to feed it.  I was thinking about a puppy because I am concerned an adult dog will not bond with its owner as well as a dog that has lived with the same owner all its life.  I'm also concerned about dogs that have had traumatic pasts (abusive owner, Chinese restaurant escapee, etc) will have dog PTSD and I can't afford to have Cesar Millan come to my house.

A shelter would be ideal, there's one on sand canyon behind capital group, next to a dog park, they have a site that shows what dogs they have and some could be really young (not weeks old puppies but several months/1 yr old) at times

They'll add years to your life!

Happiness said:
I don't have little kids but I do work so one of my questions is how long a dog can go between meals if I can't make it home during the day to feed it.  I was thinking about a puppy because I am concerned an adult dog will not bond with its owner as well as a dog that has lived with the same owner all its life.  I'm also concerned about dogs that have had traumatic pasts (abusive owner, Chinese restaurant escapee, etc) will have dog PTSD and I can't afford to have Cesar Millan come to my house.

We feed our dog once in the morning and once at night (5am and 5pm) but I think it varies. Puppies do need a lot of care versus an older dog. If you do get a puppy, expect to get some furniture, shoes, etc. ruined  :p If you don't make it home in time, also expect quite a lot of pee/poo. Once they're potty trained, they will hold it in until you come back. That's why dogs are so great.

As far as dogs with traumatic pasts...you can find a lot at the shelters without a traumatic past. A lot are just because the owners don't want them anymore. But imagine what joy you could bring them by taking them to a loving home instead!! You will change their lives for the better!

happytales said:
Happiness said:

We feed our dog once in the morning and once at night (5am and 5pm) but I think it varies. Puppies do need a lot of care versus an older dog. If you do get a puppy, expect to get some furniture, shoes, etc. ruined  :p If you don't make it home in time, also expect quite a lot of pee/poo. Once they're potty trained, they will hold it in until you come back. That's why dogs are so great.

As far as dogs with traumatic pasts...you can find a lot at the shelters without a traumatic past. A lot are just because the owners don't want them anymore. But imagine what joy you could bring them by taking them to a loving home instead!! You will change their lives for the better!
Thanks for the tips, especially the benefits of an adult dog vs. a puppy as I was not aware of that.  I'll visit the Irvine shelter and see that they have. 

As others have said dogs are a huge commitment and are very social animals.  They are not meant to be outdoors for you to just play with them when u want. They should be indoor with you when you are home. With an adult dog feedin twice a day is fine. With a puppy you may want to leave out a serving in his bowl to eat during the day. One thing to consider to is if you are gone 10-12 hours a day and it is an indoor dog how will it go to the bathroom. We have small dogs and would never leave them outside. Before we had a nanny we had a dog walker since we both worked and were gone all day. That cost about 400-500 per month. If you get a big dog that u can leave in your yard while at work you probably won't need the dog walker. They also need exercise just like us. I walk mine a mile in the morning, a mile at night and they nanny walks them during the day. So they get plenty of exercise. The vet complemented me the other day for their weight because she she's way too many overweight dogs. That's another thing, vet bills can get expensive.  There is the annual checkup, vaccines, dental cleanings which run about $600, some dogs need their teeth cleaned every six months. Mine have had knee surgeries which were like 3-4k each. Perhaps I go overboard with my dogs but I look at them as members of the family. I normally try to talk people out of getting a dog most aren't good owners.

Good luck though if you do get a dog. We do need more good dog owners

AW said:
A shelter would be ideal, there's one on sand canyon behind capital group, next to a dog park, they have a site that shows what dogs they have and some could be really young (not weeks old puppies but several months/1 yr old) at times

They'll add years to your life!

I don't know that I would walk as much as I do without my dogs. I'd probably have IHO type calves without my dogs :)

qwerty said:
As others have said dogs are a huge commitment and are very social animals.  They are not meant to be outdoors for you to just play with them when u want. They should be indoor with you when you are home. With an adult dog feedin twice a day is fine. With a puppy you may want to leave out a serving in his bowl to eat during the day. One thing to consider to is if you are gone 10-12 hours a day and it is an indoor dog how will it go to the bathroom. We have small dogs and would never leave them outside. Before we had a nanny we had a dog walker since we both worked and were gone all day. That cost about 400-500 per month. If you get a big dog that u can leave in your yard while at work you probably won't need the dog walker. They also need exercise just like us. I walk mine a mile in the morning, a mile at night and they nanny walks them during the day. So they get plenty of exercise. The vet complemented me the other day for their weight because she she's way too many overweight dogs. That's another thing, vet bills can get expensive.  There is the annual checkup, vaccines, dental cleanings which run about $600, some dogs need their teeth cleaned every six months. Mine have had knee surgeries which were like 3-4k each. Perhaps I go overboard with my dogs but I look at them as members of the family. I normally try to talk people out of getting a dog most aren't good owners.

Good luck though if you do get a dog. We do need more good dog owners
Sounds to me like a big dog is more appropriate for me.  If I was going to pay someone $500 a month, that person would need to do more than walk my dog :)  Anyone have experience with dog health insurance?

I've never used health insurance  for dogs. I think it costs about 80-100 per month. So you are looking at 1000-1200 I would just take my chances. Most dogs just require the annual exam (about $70) and vaccines. Not sure if the insurance covers teeth cleaning.

I board mine. Place is also a doggie daycare during the day so dogs get to run around and play for 12 hours during the day and then into the kennel for 12 hours overnight. I think it's $40-45 per night of boarding.

Yea annual exam is $50-100 depending on the vet. Vaccines vary but won't break the bank. Non-anesthetic teeth cleaning is $150ish. Most people do it once a year and supplement/brush at home.  My dogs biggest expense is probably his food.  About $100 per month.

Happiness said:
How do you guys arrange for care of your dogs when you are on vacation to a non-dog friendly destination?

I have my nephew stay at our house. There are places like camp bow wow, ruff house, etc that you can board them that seem to provide play areas so they aren't locked up in a kennel all day. I think for an extra charge they will take your dog for A walk. They run about 30-40 per night.

Another thing to consider is proper training.  Whether you research and train the dog on your own or hire a trainer/take a class, proper training is essential.  The last thing you want is to be "that neighbor" whose dogs bark at every little noise they hear and constantly annoy everyone.

Happiness said:
Recommended breeds?  Breeds to avoid?  Thanks

For the insurance purpose, avoid aggressive bread of dog like Pit Bull, Rottweilers, Chows Chows etc.  Not all dogs of the same breed are the same but these breeds are blacklisted by the insurance company and the insurance company will canceled your policy if you have one of these dogs.  14 Dog Breeds Blacklisted by Insurance Companies

If you are neat freak, try find one of those breed that does not shed hair.  And believe me, a dog does not shed will make your life so much easier.  These breeds tend to be hypoallergenic and don't have natural odors too.  Dog Breeds That Don't Shed

There's so many things need to be consider before getting a dog but if you do your homework and got a right dog, he/she will change your life forever.

Good Luck picking your perfect dog. :)

with a shelter, they'll come spayed/neuter, very important
and microchip

in order to board a dog, they'll need to be up to date with vaccinations and bordetella shots and what not

those greenie chew treats and dentistix are actually pretty good at cleaning teeth, same goes for that nylabone chew toy, my dog used to have dirty teeth, and now it's pretty clean

qwerty said:
I don't know that I would walk as much as I do without my dogs. I'd probably have IHO type calves without my dogs :)
Dang.

My calves are actually pretty muscular... just not gross body builder muscular like someone else here.

Another thing to consider is allergies. Most short coat dogs shed like crazy so you may want to consider dogs that have hair, not fur, like terriers and poodles.

Adopt from a shelter:

Irvine Animal Care Center:http://www.cityofirvine.org/animal-care-center/adopt-pet

OC Animal Care:http://ocpetinfo.com/adopt

Since you work, I would not suggest a puppy.

As for personality, if you are patient, you can train your dog to your preference... Caesar Milan style!

My dog is my first child, who came into our family before our two boys were born.
She's a big dog (Weimaraner breed), nearly 15 years old now, and unfortunately her health is failing quickly and she's nearing the end of her stay on this earth.
The old girl is wearing down and it's going to break my heart when she does finally pass away.
-IR2

"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made." - M. Acklam

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:
Dang.

My calves are actually pretty muscular... just not gross body builder muscular like someone else here.

Show us a pic or it's not true. Next time I'll show up at tej basketball court so u can't touch them.

Back